Author Topic: Level inflation and "noob problem"  (Read 84680 times)

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: Level inflation and "noob problem"
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2015, 08:34:28 pm »
I admit, I contributed, but did you have to swear at me? *Pouts.*

Again, I jest.

EDIT: Not only did I contribute, but I also started the whole Harry Potter thing. Sorry about that.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2015, 08:35:21 pm »

True story
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:37:06 pm by MightyKeb »

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2015, 06:08:09 am »
@David Dire

Oh yes you did.

@Koali

Don't mind the swearing, mind the MEANING. I must admit, when I saw that derailed HP conversation... I regretted not having hollow-points. Seriously. From my point of view he is justified, because HE REALLY CARE about this game.

@MightyKeb

I guess you misstook the thread. If not, explain please? ^^

PS: I've met 20-something level gunner telling me how Heavy Carronade sucks. Or engineer level 17 running around mallet-buff-ext BECAUSE OF ACHIEVEMENTS.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2015, 06:24:32 am »
Level 27 engineer... Cant chem spray, claims its too weak against fires....
Complains he cant keep up with repairs... While he shoots our allies with a flamer...
Troll? Nope..
Genuinely someone who had no chances to learn beyond just doing what they wanted on a ship and level upto 27 pretty fast...

Buff engineer refuses main loadout against heavy carro and lumberjack match.. Because acheives...
Rage quits match because he couldn't buff the balloon because it was always dead and his pipewrench was slow to rebuild.

There is level inflation and people who think they know better or just don't give a damn...

Match count will not separate them either....

Still not as bad as someone who presses a button on the floor during Payday overdrill...

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2015, 07:04:19 am »
Still the number of matches if more reliable - cause it means somebody actually had an opportunity to learn some vital skills and tricks.

For example yesterday I saw a guy with the exact levels as I (30-30-29), and he had... 500 matches played.
And he sucked.

The only achievements I find good in terms of learning are ship achievements ("do this and that with junker 40 times"), cause they encourage me to learn new ships and new tactics.

Otherwise, achievements mostly encourage new bastards to be assholes and not cooperate, because their bloody levels and achievement count is much more important. Uh.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2015, 07:30:44 am »

For example yesterday I saw a guy with the exact levels as I (30-30-29), and he had... 500 matches played.
And he sucked.

Schwalbe, you just counted your own levels.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2015, 07:37:38 am »

And he sucked.

Schwalbe, you just counted your own levels.

I saw a guy with the exact levels as I (30-30-29) , and he had... 500 matches played.
And he sucked.

The main difference is that I have 950. And MOSTLY I know what I'm doing, unless I'm a pilot, which sometimes makes me act retarded.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2015, 09:13:22 am »
I have +400 matches and almost 2 months of game experience, I don't do achievements and play 60% pub 40% clan

In 3 months since my profile creation, I will be 40ish as Engineer. If I went for achievements I would be already there. This is not normal.

I played novice games with players that are still in my friend list and they have surpassed me, netting more than 30 levels on all three classes in less that 400 games.

I played gunner three times, on a hwacha once and carronate twice and yet I am level 7. This is not normal.

Ask me to fly anything other than my beloved junker and I will be mediocre at best. Yet, level 22 something. Still have to use some tools for the first time. Most of my experience is indirect (youtube and streaming) and I rely mostly on the skills of the crew rather than timing and positioning. Yet in another month I could be easily 40ish as a Pilot too. This is not normal.

I don't want to win levels easily, I don't even want levels if it must be this travesty.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2015, 09:17:37 am »
I have +400 matches and almost 2 months of game experience, I don't do achievements and play 60% pub 40% clan

In 3 months since my profile creation, I will be 40ish as Engineer. If I went for achievements I would be already there. This is not normal.

I played novice games with players that are still in my friend list and they have surpassed me, netting more than 30 levels on all three classes in less that 400 games.

I played gunner three times, on a hwacha once and carronate twice and yet I am level 7. This is not normal.

Ask me to fly anything other than my beloved junker and I will be mediocre at best. Yet, level 22 something. Still have to use some tools for the first time. Most of my experience is indirect (youtube and streaming) and I rely mostly on the skills of the crew rather than timing and positioning. Yet in another month I could be easily 40ish as a Pilot too. This is not normal.

I don't want to win levels easily, I don't even want levels if it must be this travesty.

I have an idea.

Write it to Muse. Maybe they'll finally get sober about that and see the problem, when it won't be like "hurr durr new players level too fast hurr"...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2015, 09:55:35 am »
AI clan chieve whore. But I thoroughly train them to play at a given above average standard, so we win while grinding. With a competent crew/team winning is too easy. You need things like achievements to make it interesting.

And in the event of stacked matches? Achieves work to give some sort consolation prize.
That being said ACHIEVES SHOULD NOT GIVE EXP.

The old lvling system when you reached the higher tiers, achieves were freakin near impossible to just really specific/hard. Hence. You had to actually be good to get them.

Not gonna get 100% no death vs old lvl 7 unless you know what the hell you are doing. And by average lvls 7 were seldom retards (some were definitely dumb, but they were functional pilots). They knew how to work that pyra. Maybe some pilots are smarter than others, but they at least knew. Gat mortar pyra+point ship in direction of enemy ship=easy kills.

case in point achievements worked as a very useful learning tool. But not in the way it is executed sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 09:59:05 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2015, 12:49:32 pm »
AI clan chieve whore. But I thoroughly train them to play at a given above average standard, so we win while grinding. With a competent crew/team winning is too easy. You need things like achievements to make it interesting.

KNTG do not grind achievements, but most of them were given basic training, and with them I'm able to fight most mid-tier ships. Usually.

The old lvling system when you reached the higher tiers, achieves were freakin near impossible to just really specific/hard. Hence. You had to actually be good to get them.

I was saying that since, like - november.
FFS.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2015, 01:10:33 pm »
I'm really pushing for that achieves=title thing.

Achieve exp needs to be out of the lvling equation.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2015, 01:14:56 pm »
achievements SHOULD give something, i personally dont intentionally go after achievements in a game unless theres a reward. if its xp it should be a small amount, the title thing is a good idea.  It gives more credit as far as bragging goes   

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2015, 01:17:27 pm »
achievements SHOULD give something, i personally dont intentionally go after achievements in a game unless theres a reward. if its xp it should be a small amount, the title thing is a good idea.  It gives more credit as far as bragging goes

remember when xbox 360 first invented it?

people went for them just for the sake of getting them. Guns has spoiled people by giving them awards, as opposed to achieves themselves being the reward.

im max lvl everything but I still go for achieves. its fun.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2015, 02:45:31 pm »
even if its just unlocking concept art, its a nice touch. i never played the 360. i dont deny that they can be fun to do, but there are some people who wont bother with them without incentive