Author Topic: The Community Video Tutorial Project  (Read 50839 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: The Community Video Tutorial Project
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 03:29:42 pm »
Yay, metamidion guide. Because we always need more metamidions.

I think that for a small starting project we can make sth like "10 way to be a better noob" - pointing out the most stupid or annoying noob habits, what should people do instead and why. For starters we can just make some clips from the game combined with just text appearing explaining stuff (or narrator + text).

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 03:57:21 pm »
Yay, metamidion guide. Because we always need more metamidions.

Noobs die, because they get shot at by flamer and hwachas by people that know their stuff. If the Metamidions could actually kill something before dying of instant disable, newer players might enjoy the game more. At the same time, Metamidions really teach people the fundemental of the game: You shoot that gun, you shoot that gun and repair that balloon and you there repair everything and learn about repairing components from below. That's like half the tutorials.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 04:11:28 pm »
I want noobs playing the game long enough to become veterans. I think that will be accomplished better by giving them the knowledge to make easy wins. That means teaching them the Metamidion. No other configuration is as forgiving of low skilled piloting, gunning, and engineering.

I want to target the new players that buy the 4 pack go into a match together and utterly fail, then google "Guns Of Icarus Guide" to figure out what went wrong. I suspect my Piloting guide has 17561 views because it is the 4th entry on that Google search.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 04:27:25 pm »
Actually in my experience the Gatling Artemis is more forgiving, although harder to learn how to aim, you don't need to worry about the timing of the shots as much making it faster to learn and teach.

"Bob shoot the gatling, don't shoot their balloon. Dick (Richard nickname! Mind out the gutters you lot!) Shoot the Artemis, try to shoot their guns, during reload repair the balloon and your gun, if the balloon goes red grab your pipewrench/spanner and hit it till its not then shoot guns again. And Harry, fix all the things on the main deck."
Gat Arte Pyramidion in a nutshell, give it a whole round and second round you'll see alot more guns destroyed. :)

But that's personal preference, gat mortar does teach a fundamental in damage types and health types

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 04:29:34 pm »
A metamidion tutorial is important, I would say priority one if I wasn't concerned about getting the bugs out of the video making process first (it is a slightly longer and more complex video), and I say that as someone who probably last piloted a metamidion four hundred games ago.

Why was I running it then? Because we had a new player who was really struggling with the odd load outs I was taking and we needed to teach them something basic.

I don't want more players flying the meta, I want them to learn the meta, win with it by learning to play as a team, get bored with it and then fly something else. At this point I'm just going to echo things other have said, but I maintain a meta tutorial is important for the reasons already given. That said I still think the meta tutorial is a bigger project than we should start out with.

Doing a bit of a literature search (for want of a better term) brought up a set of videos by TheTribeCast (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFfOrtmxMUbtw2VBsy_Ncg). They are a bit old, and I cant currently watch them as I'm on an airport wifi, but they might be worth a look and a link if Muse provide us with a link say in the community section.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 06:17:18 pm »
Eh, if I were more experienced captain, I could make a small tutorial for sniper mobula build... ( merc + 2x artemis + 2x banshee )

As for TheTribeCast: "Many people don't like junker - it only has 5 light guns slots" MUAHAHAHAH OH GOD.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:20:27 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 09:33:56 pm »
Sweet Lord those comments
On the Squid
It's a very high skill-cap ship, because of its awkward wheel placement, but its speed and maneuverability are unmatched, and you can fly circles around clumsier ships--a particular advantage if you're dealing with the Galleon or the Pyramidon. I prefer a mortar or a gattling on the nose, though.
I haven't found a single good use for this ship yet it is absolutely horrible in every way I can think of.
On the Goldfish
in my opinion the best squid load out is a hwacha on the front, a flamer on the left and a gatling gun on the right for long range engagements
It's nice to note that, in this video, the guy was flying a flakfish
The Junker video had this guy complaining that the junker "only had 5 light weapons"
On the Galleon
cant see any use for this ship other then to tank all the damage and die
I hate that staircase, takes sooo long to go downstairs! really prefer using the ladder
On the Spire

In my opinion you will need only one engineer since the bottom part has all the stuff to repair (exept the balloons and the main motor) which gives you the opportunity to have more gunners, and as my tactic is to fire heavy, fire light, and finally ram the enemy, it's good to have the engineer have to be in one spot as the gunners reign painful fiery death apon the enemy. B-)

These videos are terrible and a great watch. So much misinformation

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2015, 02:20:05 am »
Trello name: same as here "KitKatKitty"

Offline Marza

• Salutes: 2
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2015, 12:12:02 pm »
My Trello name is Robert, since Marza was already taken by somebody else.

Throwing my lot in as an amateur video editor, I can't let nano have all the fun!

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2015, 12:19:40 pm »
It is worth noting that those TheTribeCast videos are 2 years old and the meta has shifted around a lot since then.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2015, 12:41:33 pm »
It is worth noting that those TheTribeCast videos are 2 years old and the meta has shifted around a lot since then.

More reason they should be burnt. :)
More reason for the community to push its efforts to fill youtube with worthwhile videos too.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2015, 02:16:09 pm »
Okay so I watched some of the Tribe videos...

Yeah, lets not worry to much about them. In defence of their goldfish video I don't think anyone had worked out how to use that thing yet.

Offline VomAct

• Salutes: 11
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2015, 07:38:38 pm »
Oh wow I have been thinking about doing something like this for a while, and just did a forum search for it now.  Totally glad I did, and I would love to participate.

I, personally, would love to provide footage to mess about with, I am most comfortable with pyramidions and mobulas, but I am also flying more squid lately.  I would also like to do a bit on basic tactics / teamwork / countering.  The only thing I won't do is fly a metamidion.

Don't have Trello, but my Steam is same as here, VomAct.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2015, 07:43:03 pm »
Well we can easily do something like WarOwl does - get some random footage and comment it, what was good and what was bad.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2015, 08:10:14 am »
My trial version of Action expired...