Author Topic: New Mode: The Castle  (Read 6964 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
New Mode: The Castle
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:36:45 pm »
Hi everyone, new on the forum, glad to be here ;)
I have an idea for a new game mode - called The Castle. In this mode one side would attack the castle using ships (regular ships and teams like in other game modes) and the other would defend the castle from the ground (to make it fair you can for instance make most of the castle's guns heavy). To make things easier the castle can be located on the high hill (it's better for both sides). Castle have a "hull" with fixed value of hp which can't be repaired (or can be but in a limited way). I see two possible winning conditions:
-Game after certain period of time ends - if the castle stands then defenders win (if it doesn't - game ends quicker)
-Or there is no time limit but the attacking team has limited respawn points - and if the atacking team doesn't manage to destroy the castle (they die trying). I don't know how to prevent attackers from prolonging the game when they know they are going to loose so the first option is probably better.
Also I wonder what would captains do in defender team. Perhaps they wouldn't take part in the games?

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Re: New Mode: The Castle
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 10:36:02 pm »
If the castle doesn't require repairs, what keeps the defenders from putting the best gun combination on there and never leaving them?

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:48:03 am »
Well the castle may be attacked from different sides with different power (I intended it to be 3v3 or more game, so you can have three ships atacking from three sides or else). Of course if castle doesn't require captains it would have less people on it - only engineers (to repair guns) and gunners.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:11:33 am »
Having a gamemode that practically prohibits the use of one class makes me sad. It's an interesting idea (and you could tie it into the city of Anvala lore wise), but it would need to be able to incorporate all 3 classes before I'd truly consider it

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:23:09 pm »
Having a gamemode that practically prohibits the use of one class makes me sad. It's an interesting idea (and you could tie it into the city of Anvala lore wise), but it would need to be able to incorporate all 3 classes before I'd truly consider it
Basically this. Even if there is an interesting way to do repairs, the lack of a pilot will still make defense uninteresting.

Offline MrJeff

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »
Well, then just map a Pilot's abilities to defensive/offensive features. That way, there are still reasons to have them around. Or..  Maybe the gun emplacements sit on a turret that the pilot has to rotate. (Like as if a spire traded away all of it's remaining mobility for more hull armor...)

Offline SirNotlag

• Salutes: 17
    • [Bj&H]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 10:35:40 pm »
I think a better idea to have the game mode work would be to just divide it between defending and attacking airships, with the attackers spawning at the far end of the map and the defenders spawning either middle or at the castle so they can keep close to defend it or rush the enemy attackers to keep them away.

Then just have the castle armed with npc controlled ground turrets to defend itself with and a large amount of health that slowly regens but not much allowing the attackers to slowly widdle down its walls.

Cause lets face it I did not buy a steam punk airship game to get stuck sitting on cobblestone walls trying to shoot at zeppelins laughing as they turn the ramparts to dust with their canons.

Offline Saull

• Salutes: 4
    • [☥Ra☼]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:47:28 pm »
I really hope something like this is implemented in adventure mode when attacking bigger cities

Offline Alex Gun

• Salutes: 0
    • [SHPR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 05:50:43 am »
I like the idea! I think if it will be ships defending the castle - it will become similiar to Crazy King match, but with the "castle crew" - sounds more interesting. Maybe for more balance castle crew should be smaller, for example: 3 ships vs 6 men in the castle