Author Topic: Incendiary Rounds  (Read 22464 times)

Offline Spud Nick

• Salutes: 130
    • [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
Incendiary Rounds
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:00:38 am »
Does anybody use incendiary rounds to set stuff on fire? (other than us Cakes) I find that most players just use it to reduce arming time. Do you guys think it would be more useful if it had a greater fire ignition chance? (It's only at 20% now)

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Incendiary Rounds
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 09:39:30 am »
I use it in the gatling, carronade, and even flamethrower to set fires. I like heatsink for arming time reduction.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:49 am »
I mostly use it to adjust arming time on weapons (since it slows the rounds). But it does add a decent fire chance. If you use it on a mine, just about everything the mine explodes will catch fire. I never suspected it would work well on a gatling until someone used it on my ship. It's surprisingly effective at starting a lot of fires. Carronade is always fun as well.

But it does work on everything and adds a decent fire chance. Personally I think it's best on high damage explosive weapons that already have a pretty good fire chance.

Offline Rainer Zu Fall

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 26
    • [Prof]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:19:18 am »
I do use it in carronade and gatling, occasionally in the hwacha too. Such a fine clip, but rarely used.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:46:15 am »
It seems like 20% is rather low. Would it be to powerful if it had 50% ignition chance?

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:55:36 am »
50% would almost certainly be too high. Right now, a gatling gun should theoretically be able to set fires every 5 bullets. You would more than halve the number of bullets to set fires. Mercury field guns would be almost guaranteed to set fires (wait, why would you... field guns aren't the best example maybe), etc. 25-35% would probably make it a little bit more used, but 50% would be too high.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:16 am »
I really don't think it needs changing. It's used on many guns (as previously posts show) for its intended purpose, and some outside of it, which still gives that fire chance bonus.

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 11:13:06 am »
Right. I wouldn't be opposed to a very slight buff, but it work's pretty well as intended. It isn't supposed to turn your weapon into a flamethrower.

Offline Spud Nick

• [✦✦45]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 11:26:56 am »
Must be the Cake in me than.

Offline GeoRmr

• Salutes: 178
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • Storm Ryders
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 11:33:49 am »
I only use them on both the heavy and light carronade for their intended purpose, and the mine launcher partly for their purpose but mostly to change the arming distance. For other weapons I tent to prefer greased rounds to reduce arming, which although are less effective tend to give better dps and overall damage out put over a negligible few meters difference between the round types arming reduction. From the perspective of the heavy and light carronade I would like to see this ammo with a higher ignition chance percentage

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 01:06:31 pm »
I don't use it myself but I understand why people use it in most cases. I disagree with people who like it in Gatlings and Hwachas but as a carronade user, I can see the appeal in having the fire finish the balloon job.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »
Well it can work on a gatling. But it totally depends on your enemy.
IF you fight sth like a mobula u can bring it so you can distract 2 engineers with your shots gaining fire superiority quite easy.
And a incendiary gat can still shred a mobhull.

Offline Oliver Colt

• Salutes: 80
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:12 pm »
balloon job.

Kinky.

Also I have a question: Is setting fire to a ship really that important that you'd carry incendiary rounds instead of something else?

It's just that as an engie I've seen fires set off in 3 (maybe 4) different parts of the ship at a time, max. (or maybe I haven't really faced an extremely fiery opponent yet. Get it? xD). It's also easy to take any amount of stacks with the fire extinguisher, which you can quickly switch to if you see one of the other team's ships has a lot of fire starting guns and its crew has the ammo. And in general it doesn't seem to cause that much trouble.

Again, I'm still pretty new to all technical stuff so I'm mostly sharing what I've seen in my little experience and waiting to be corrected [*happy face*]

Edit:

Well it can work on a gatling. But it totally depends on your enemy.
IF you fight sth like a mobula u can bring it so you can distract 2 engineers with your shots gaining fire superiority quite easy.
And a incendiary gat can still shred a mobhull.

Well that's one good time to bring incendiary then, thanks! xD

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:11 pm »
Why would I want to distract engineers on a mobula by setting their hull on fire when an unbuffed greased Gatling can shred the mobula hull in 2.688 seconds? Even if you're shooting poorly with the gat as long as 58% of your shots hit the hull, you can do it one clip meaning 4.656 seconds (any lower you need a reload). With incendiary, at 2.688 seconds you've done base 228 damage to the hull. Is the fire in that time really going to have done 372 damage? I don't know the specifics on fire damage but I am fairly sure that the fire would not be enough.

Offline Alistair MacBain

• Salutes: 23
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 02:01:04 pm »
Nope you dotnt want to enlighten the hull.
You enlighten the balloon so you pull of 2 players from shooting so its quite easy to gain fire superiority.
Thats the weakness of the mob. You can pull of ppl from guns just by doing dmg and both those components.

And no fire for the pure meaning of setting things on fire isnt worth it in most parts.
The potential of fire is more to pull ppl of from components they arent able to run to atm cause they have distraction all over their ship.
A flamer can shred hull armor quite decent when the enemy hull isnt chem sprayed.
And when that happens you pull the main engineer to the hull. When you now get enough fire stacks on the engines they will die at some point or pull another guy from his job (probably shooting) This means you managed to pin 2 enemy engineers to a certain job for a certain amount of time.
This can give you the gun superiority quite easy. However this can be ruined quite effectivle by a chem spray.
But fire can also make the decision for a hull engineer harder. When you have a high enough amount of stacks on the hull and shooting it whilst that so it will probably go down you force the engineer to a decision he dont likes cause he cant do both.
Good example for this is a hades banshee setup.
You get alot of fire stacks from both guns on the enemy and specially on his hull.
But whilst you set things on fire you also shred the enemy armor with your piercing dmg. That means that the enemy hull engineer will get to the point where it doesnt matter what he does, the armor will die. This can also draw ppl from their guns if you get a high enough amount of firestacks on him.
A single fire stack will probably not do the job in most cases. BUt several stacks on one component will do it.

In the case of a carronade you just get the possibilty to get those last bid of dmg in that you need to actually kill the enemy balloon and do more to their other components by setting them on fire.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:11:49 pm by Alistair MacBain »