Author Topic: Art meta is boring  (Read 89462 times)

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Art meta is boring
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2014, 01:15:32 pm »
ITT Art OP QED.

I'm a god damn poet.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2014, 01:53:09 pm »
I have been using a pyramidion with 2x front mounted Mercurys as a counter Artemis heavy ships with decent results. I have a gat morter on the side. For crew I ask for two standard engies with charged rounds, and a buff engie with lesmok.

Here are the pros a Mercury Pyra has over a Artemis Junker.
Unlike the junker it is a pretty quick run between the guns allowing a buff engie to keep both merc's buffed. When combined with charged rounds the damage output gets pretty fierce. Since the mercs have longer range than the Artemis and the junker can' strait run at a target and shoot all 3 of its guns the pyra can kite for most of the engagement. The beak of the Pyra absorbs some of the near misses from the Artemis preventing the gun lock down the 3x Artemis is famous for. The captain can maintain the hull while the rest of the crew is shooting. An engineer can be spared to fix the ship with out a significant drop in DPS. You can strip a target's hull armor from a very long range allowing for your ship to effect a fight immediately after a respawn. At close range ramming a ship after the mercs strip the hull is very effective.

The cons of this build are:
The merc requires a bit more gunner skill than the Artemis to use effectively, especially when you are outside of Artemis range. The fat pyra hull is an easier target than the skinny junker hull. If you ally did not coordinate for a long range build they may feel betrayed as you hang back and snipe. It takes a while to make a kill solo, and this build can't 2v1 very well. The merc's pitch limits and the Pyra's slow climb/decend rate prevent this ship from fighting up close against a captain who know how to use hydrogen/chute vent.

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 10
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2014, 03:24:25 pm »
I'm about in the same situation I was with cannonades. I can't play the game without using Artemis.. Once again a weapon was buffed when no one thought it needed a buff. I don't wish to play the game this way. (Taking a break from playing. I'll watch global chat every so often since I'm CA.)

Edit: As you guys probably know I use many different types of ships successfully. The best ships I fight and use all have an Artemis on it. The best ships I see fight others in matches that aren't mine have an Artemis on their ship. It feels like the situation is just like the Carronade situation was except people are making a lot of excuses to keep using them this time around...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:40:12 pm by Puppy Fur »

Offline Captain Phil

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
    • DeviantART
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »
I personally use the artimis as a defensive weapon, for squishy ships like the mobula or spire you need to be able to disable enemy weapons or you will be taken out quickly. While there are carronades and banshees to also use as disables, people can still keep shooting at you and fix their balloon or put out weapon fires after they sink you. Fact is, the artimis is the most reliable disabling small weapon in the game that a pilot can equip on their ship. It is easy to use, and very effective, and while you can snipe weapons out just as fine with a carronade or gat, the lag that can occur in a game or the lack of shooting skills from the gunner can make using other weapons to shoot other weapons out unreliable.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2014, 07:01:51 pm »
The Artemis ceases to be defensive when more than two launchers are hitting a ship regularly. At that rate the hull will go down faster than a mallet can repair it. Shutting down the target's guns and engines is just a bonus on top of a long range hull strip/kill. Other guns need a complementary gun to bring down a ship, the Artemis just needs more Artemis.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 08:46:03 pm »
If you're getting your armor stripped by art alone you are doing something horribly wrong.

Offline Kain Phalanx

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2014, 05:18:50 am »
I've noticed triple art junker can be surprisingly ineffective, though maybe it just depends on the pilot.

However, the rocket speed needs to be reduced.  Everyone is calling it a long range weapon now when I don't think it was originally as evidenced by its great firing arc and its only stock position being on the side of the Pyramidion.  It's supposed to be usable at range, but its supposed to be exponentially harder to do so.  This makes sense because it's an engine disabler, and the only way to escape it would be to get away from it, and that requires engines.

As for what it should be able to do, I don't think it's necessary as a long range disabler because, one, you don't need that often, and two, the Mercury cannon already fills that role.  It's also not needed as a long range explosive because the light flak fills that role and it's more accurate than ever.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2014, 07:12:13 am »
I'm sorry, but almost all of that was wrong.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2014, 11:57:41 am »
I'm sorry, but almost all of that was wrong.

I have to agree with Byron there.

The Artemis is clearly intended as a long-range weapon: otherwise it wouldn't have a range of 1300m. If anything gets tweaked it shouldn't be its ability to work at long range, as that's where the guns design (fast rockets for easier sniping, long range, disabling power over raw kill power, etc.) was clearly intended for.

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 12:11:55 pm »
In my opinion it doesn't matter how hard it is to use. If it has the power to do a lot morethen other weapons then it's unfair.

Two artemis can kill hull health. The meta build I see right now is hades (extreme hull armor damage) with two artemis (extreme weapon and decent health damage). This gives great long/medium range. On the other side of a Junker gat/mortar. Extreme close range killing. That's the meta ship I'm seeing more and more of. Just tired of it.

Offline Kain Phalanx

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2014, 08:27:28 pm »
I explained my reasoning with facts, so no, "almost all of that was wrong" is incorrect.  I also explained why a primarily short range weapon can still have a long shell life.  This is disputable but you haven't effectively done so.  The rockets seem faster than they used to be and I qualified my statement with "originally".  The speed is also useful for precision's sake as you must aim for components.  "Disabling power over raw kill power" is not particularly a feature of long range guns.  The closest weapon to the artemis is the hwacha, and that's a close range gun.  "Long range disabling" isn't a common feature in many games as it's usually close range where you need protection/to prevent escape and it's not particularly fair or fun.

The artemis has a great firing arc.  Compare to the mercury cannon, a long range weapon.  What's it doing on the side of a pyramidion in conjuction with a mortar if it's for long range?  If you're going to ignore my points, do me a favor and ignore my posts altogether.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 08:30:48 pm by Kain Phalanx »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 03:43:02 am »
In my opinion it doesn't matter how hard it is to use. If it has the power to do a lot morethen other weapons then it's unfair.

Two artemis can kill hull health. The meta build I see right now is hades (extreme hull armor damage) with two artemis (extreme weapon and decent health damage). This gives great long/medium range. On the other side of a Junker gat/mortar. Extreme close range killing. That's the meta ship I'm seeing more and more of. Just tired of it.

Don't forget that hades also does a very respectable amount of hull damage (1.4x modifier). The counter to this art/hades is a disable-y mobula, lumberjack spire or carronade goldfish. Details here https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2920.msg53678.html#msg53678

Offline Puppy Fur

• CA Mod
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2014, 01:23:00 pm »

Don't forget that hades also does a very respectable amount of hull damage (1.4x modifier). The counter to this art/hades is a disable-y mobula, lumberjack spire or carronade goldfish. Details here https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,2920.msg53678.html#msg53678

Spire can die in 10 seconds to hades/duel artemis and mobula is just a downgrade of spire or junker (depending on the build). Goldfish can't do anything with the main weapon being sniped instantly, which is exactly what happens to every goldfish I see. All medium weapons are worthless when an enemy has a merc or artemis.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 12:15:00 pm »
In our practices the Gents have found the mobula to be the hard counter to the triple arti junker, which is great because it makes the mobula valuable competitively for once.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2014, 12:39:58 pm »
In our practices the Gents have found the mobula to be the hard counter to the triple arti junker, which is great because it makes the mobula valuable competitively for once.

That's because the triple-artemis junker is not very good. Double-artemis/hades junker is what all the cool kids are using.