Author Topic: Spawn system feedback 1.3.4  (Read 111846 times)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• Salutes: 154
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Spawn system feedback 1.3.4
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:47 pm »
Wouldn't that grossly unbalance brawl vs snipe. Combat won't happen in the hot zone because the sniper team is just going to go back into their spawn. Brawl is forced to charge into the enemy spawn. The charge is hard enough already but int he case where each gets one kill, the snipe team is at a humongous advantage due the advantage you pointed out of fighting in your own spawn.

Now concerning the "yelling." I don't think people are so much as unhappy with your spawn system as they are with just spawn systems, specifically that it seems a fix to an unbroken mechanic. I can understand wanting a conversation to be had on how to make your spawn system better but since there was never an acknowledged conversation about whether there should be a spawn system, you're going to get a lot of rage. Imagine we're at a party and you're the host and we're the partiers. You decide to order us pizza but none of us really want that, we worried it would upset the balance of the food already there (some banging barbecue meatballs), and no one can agree on a good pizza. You go ahead and order a pizza with anchovies, olives, and mushrooms. No one likes it and even you admit that the selection of toppings is broken. Sure ordering a new hot pizza, fixed with better toppings, might be better than the previous pizza, but it was still never discussed whether there should be pizza in the first place. Many preferred or at least had no problem with the meatballs. There's gonna be push back.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2013, 12:38:00 pm »

- There will never be any spawn limbo since we don't block spawns based on proximity

Is there any chance we could block spawns based on proximity?  Relying so heavily on this base system will really help camping and sniping teams.  It would be an improvement over what we have now but what about this? 

Keep the idea of bases but give each team 2-3 spawning zones (areas of the map with one or more spawn points).  If the enemy is in your base one or two spawn zones could potentially be blocked if they're close enough to them and force you to your other spawn zone.  If all spawns are blocked change the logic so that you can now pick whatever spawn you want, so if an enemy blocks one zone they could gain an advantage by knowing where you'll come from but if they accidentally block two you can pop right up next to them.  This would be a rare occurance but would punish a team for spawn camping without heavily penalizing teams trying to rush down people camping in their own bases.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2013, 12:49:25 pm »
Well camping has always been an issue, especially from the start of the match. Sniping ships are difficult to approach on some maps, and always have been. The new spawning system doesn't change that overmuch, although upon death you actually have the option to spawn yourself in a better location to make a run at them.

I think it's kind of balanced, almost, between brawling and sniping. If team A is brawl and B is snipe:

Team B takes pot shots as A gets ready for a push
Team A pushes into B's zone

at this point, one of two things will happen

Team A loses a ship
Team A is forced to respawn at their own zone, far away from the combat
Team B has the advantage

Team B loses a ship
Team B is forced to spawn in their own zone, close to the combat
Team A has the advantage (brawl builds have the advantage in close combat)

Whoever gets that first kill tends to have the upper hand, which is generally how it's always gone. Although that's kind of why I suggested having a secondary spawn point that's not in their own zone. This allows them another location to approach from, making it more difficult to camp a spot. Although that might give the deceased too much of an advantage; and lead to more of both teams spawning in the same area over and over again. (So it's probably best not to include that without giving it some critical thinking.)

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2013, 12:59:27 pm »
Considering his spawn areas each encompass roughly 2/5ths of the map horizontally the snipe team isn't exactly forced to respawn in close combat.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 01:37:00 pm »
CHANGES ARE IN THE DEV APP. EMAIL KEYVIAS@MUSEGAMES.COM IF YOU WANT TO CHECK IT OUT.

We'll try to see if we can get some organized games in this soon.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 01:41:14 pm by awkm »

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 01:41:05 pm »
Regarding sniping, the old system spawns are very similar to the proposed.  You'd just randomly respawn in the recesses of your side of the map and snipe.  Now you just choose where exactly you respawn on your side of the map and snipe.

Again, people wanted pizza a while ago but we never ordered one.  People ended up shrugging and slowly forgot about their hunger that slowly devoured their own bodies.  We then finally had time to order pizza but something happened to the delivery and it arrived cold and was missing some toppings.  We've popped it back into the oven and ran out to get the missing topping.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 01:59:32 pm »
Bacon or death.

Offline dragonmere

• Salutes: 45
    • [COx]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2013, 02:03:58 pm »

Check out the file name of that map. http://www.gunsoficarus.com/files/fuckingMap.png

Am I allowed to be offended? Clearly this is a hot-button issue, tensions are high, but judging by the name selected by awkm for that image, I feel like I'm being told to "F" off.

Not very professional, in my opinion. Not at all.

If the pizza guy showed up 30 minutes late with a cold pizza and the wrong toppings, then told me "here's your effing pizza" I probably wouldn't pay for that pizza, I'd probably call his manager and get him fired.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:30:26 pm by dragonmere »

Offline Gryphos

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2013, 02:37:47 pm »
Maybe some people may have wanted pizza a while ago, but I also think far more people just wanted the meatballs to be a bit better. Then steadily over time people stopped caring about pizza and decided to pine for some better meatballs. So I still fail to see the point of ordering pizza when people don't want pizza anymore.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2013, 02:46:31 pm »
Can I have steak?

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2013, 03:05:54 pm »
Stay on topic please. You are allowed to be offended about anything, but keep it out of this thread.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2013, 03:37:10 pm »
We never knew about meatballs.  How about if we give you a meatball pizza?

What are the meatballs, seriously?  You know how much I like metaphors but I'd like to incorporate that piece of feedback if possible.  No, meatballs will not rain from the sky.

Nor will you find steak on the Pyramidion.

Offline Sammy B. T.

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2013, 03:47:08 pm »
Meatballs represent the random spawn system.

Offline Subarco

• Salutes: 4
    • [♞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2013, 03:48:42 pm »
To those that say we the party guests never asked for pizza, I feel that's not the case for everybody. For me, it's more of I started to get cravings for pizza (before this patch, I have gradually came to dislike the old spawning system due to quite a few matches in DM decided by lucky spawns), but never outright asked for them. So when the host decided to surprise us with pizza, it's a step in a right direction, and I appreciate the host's efforts in trying to make it into a better party. Now yes, the pizza is cold and missing a few meat toppings, but new pizza's are coming in hot with the bacon and without the odd pineapples, thank you every much.

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2013, 04:07:44 pm »
If your Pizza sucks upon delivery, you don't use that Pizza place again.. You have to remember you have a large population that only comes back on large updates to see how the newest patch is. If they are dissatisfied, you lost that crowd til the next major patch.