Author Topic: Give Gunner primary access to weapons + colors of texts in-game  (Read 16664 times)

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
Re: Give Gunner primary access to weapons + colors of texts in-game
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 03:03:36 pm »
I just see that idea snowballing into new players getting fed up with controls placed on them, thus leaving, while we who wont need input like that just going business as usual.

^^This.

Restrictions on players having specific positions should be addressed via crew chat, rather than enforced via a hard mechanic. It's better for players to learn that they've made a mistake by MAKING the mistake then by not being allowed to make the mistake in the first place.

Trolls will find a way to troll regardless, so I don't think anything is really gained by this idea.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 03:33:47 pm »
If the player is listening to you, then you'll have told them which gun to man anyways, and they won't make the mistake at all. No problem there. If they don't listen to you because they're trolling, then they don't get the opportunity to steal a gun. From what I've seen, manning the wrong gun is one of the biggest examples of trolling in this game. So while not all trolling would be fixed, it would take away one of the bigger problems. I mean, if you want to use the "trolls will always troll" argument, we might as well remove the feature that lets captains kick other people off the helm.

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 04:15:40 pm »
I mean, if you want to use the "trolls will always troll" argument, we might as well remove the feature that lets captains kick other people off the helm.

That's definitely a valid point. I guess I'd be okay with Gunners having gun priority, but I don't like the idea of setting priority on a per-player basis.

Offline Cid Ferringer

• Salutes: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 05:18:22 pm »
The per player basis thing just sounds like an overly complex system to implement for the developers, and overly complex to use for the captain and the crew to understand..

Taking the helm and piloting the ship is a much more attractive target for trolls though, because it's funnier and more frustrating than someone just shooting a gun..

Offline Lord Vid O' Gam

• Salutes: 0
    • [kek]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 05:30:04 am »
I mean, if you want to use the "trolls will always troll" argument, we might as well remove the feature that lets captains kick other people off the helm.

That's definitely a valid point. I guess I'd be okay with Gunners having gun priority, but I don't like the idea of setting priority on a per-player basis.

Indeed, the only thing that might pose a problem with gun priority is if a Gunner would feel like being a shmuck and keeps throwing you off the gun. I however do think it would be the lesser of two evils: I'd rather take the chances of having a Gunner being overly dominant on guns and forcing me to repair 24/7 than having an Engineer obstructing the Gunner resulting in nothing happening at all.

I think your chances of winning would increase in case of an Engineer who's being a shmuck/doesn't know what to do if the priority is set in place. Especially since Engineers outnumber Gunners 2 to 1 on your standard crew.