Author Topic: Give Gunner primary access to weapons + colors of texts in-game  (Read 16662 times)

Offline Lord Vid O' Gam

• Salutes: 0
    • [kek]
    • View Profile
Give Gunner primary access to weapons + colors of texts in-game
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:39:47 pm »
I cannot tell you how many times I would be aboard a ship as Gunner with 2 Engies and at least one of them would be hogging a weapon while the hull is dying right behind him while the other Engie is still fixing on the other side of the ship. Wouldn't it be a good choice for Gunners being able to take over guns immediately as if a bot was manning the gun?

Sorry if this had been brought up before.

EDIT: I just now remembered the second point I wanted to bring up: it could be very handy if you could choose the color of in-game texts (name + indication of a spotted ship, names of crew members, icons of damaged ship parts...) to a more distinct color. Sometimes I have trouble seeing these in levels with lots of white smoke and grey air.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:53:49 pm by Lord Vid O' Gam »

Offline Garou

• Salutes: 25
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
Re: Give Gunner primary access to weapons
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 01:42:40 pm »
Or at very least, give captains priority on guns so if they have a 'stubborn' engie, they can boot them off the gun themselves and then give the gunner an opportunity to grab it.

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:42:53 pm »
Kinda like how a Captain can eject anyone flying on the helm. Can't see how this would be a problem other than trolls trolling. I also however see no real need for it. If your crew has good communication, tell the engie that you're there now so he can go repair, if he doesnt respond and stays on the gun, then you have a problem player.

Offline Garou

• Salutes: 25
    • [WOLF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:45:16 pm »
[...] if he doesnt respond and stays on the gun, then you have a problem player.
I feel that may be what he is referring to.

Offline Lord Vid O' Gam

• [kek]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »
Kinda like how a Captain can eject anyone flying on the helm. Can't see how this would be a problem other than trolls trolling. I also however see no real need for it. If your crew has good communication, tell the engie that you're there now so he can go repair, if he doesnt respond and stays on the gun, then you have a problem player.

That's the problem that sparked the need for this: sometimes, you have people people that just don't know how to play the game/play their part and (and I quote) "just want to have fun". I'd rather have him loafing around completely instead of taking up a gun I could be shooting at the very moment with a better ammo than stock...

Offline Lord Vid O' Gam

• [kek]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 01:50:47 pm »
Or at very least, give captains priority on guns so if they have a 'stubborn' engie, they can boot them off the gun themselves and then give the gunner an opportunity to grab it.

Don't Captains (I mean the person in the Captain slot, not a Pilot class) already have that ability? It can be used that way, but it's an awful case if the Captain has to stop doing his job and wander away from the helm for God knows how long, just because an incompetent Engie joined your crew.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:45 pm »
This goes both ways though. That gunner with his new powers could boot you off a gun and deny you a kill, while just sitting there looking around.

Offline Lord Vid O' Gam

• [kek]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 01:58:48 pm »
This goes both ways though. That gunner with his new powers could boot you off a gun and deny you a kill, while just sitting there looking around.

True, true, that might get very annoying as well. Though I would prefer Gunner would take over if he has nothing to do, actually. The only thing that would make it annoying is the fact you have destroy X log entries as Engie that would be even harder to complete because of that.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Give Gunner primary access to weapons + colors of texts in-game
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 02:04:55 pm »
How about this: the captain gets to assign priority for their weapons to different players. For example, they could give their gunner priority on the lumberjack, and their gungineer priority on the heavy flak. Could go a long way to fix some of the trolling problems encountered from time to time.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 02:13:38 pm »
Not all captains are 100% genuine either.

(Im being devil's advocate here)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 02:35:37 pm »
This would also add a lot of time to sitting in the lobby as the Captain assigns each gun to a crewmember.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2013, 02:41:23 pm »
This would also add a lot of time to sitting in the lobby as the Captain assigns each gun to a crewmember.

Not necessarily. It wouldn't be mandatory, and it would just take a few seconds (ship --> gun --> assign to player x)

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »
Oh, alright.

For whatever reason, I assumed each gun had to be assigned to a player.

Could get time-consuming on Junkers and Galleons.

Offline N-Sunderland

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:12 pm »
I suppose so, but under most circumstances you would only need to assign one or two guns. On the Pyramidion, for example, if you had a main engi and gungineer you trusted but a gunner who you're not too sure about, you would only need to assign the top left gun to the gungineer to prevent the gunner from using it.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
I just see that idea snowballing into new players getting fed up with controls placed on them, thus leaving, while we who wont need input like that just going business as usual.