Author Topic: Why are the two gametypes that best embody GOI the least supported?  (Read 16314 times)

Offline Warpspeed

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
I just got done playing my first ever games of 4v4 KOTH and 3v3 Resource Race and I am confused. These gametypes seem to embody the teamwork of GOI so much better than the meat grindy 2v2 deathmatches we always are stuck with.

In larger matches like this, it is less about who is and is not flying a gat-motar pyramidion. It allows many of the other situational ships to really shine. On resource capture, piloting a squid actually seems like a viable idea. You are able to support your team by disabling ships and securing points. You don't immediately lose if you're not flying a meta-midion.

In 4v4, you can actually use a long range support ship reasonably well without worrying about your one other teammate getting shredded in a 2v1.

I just don't understand why most of the maps focus on 2v2s, in which you must bring the best ship in the meta to stay effective. It seems to me GOI is trying to be a great teamwork game, but there is not much to be had in that regard with the current gametypes.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
Re: Why are the two gametypes that best embody GOI the least supported?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:33:51 pm »
The main reason: it takes forever for us to fill those games. Most people don't have the patience to sit there and wait.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 12:04:05 am »
Attention spans of Goldfish type players are big problems to getting 3v3/4v4 content going. There kinda needs to be a way to fill these better.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 12:22:24 am »
3v3 lobbies take forever to fill up. 4v4 takes even longer, and there's only one map, so not much diversity going on there.

I just don't understand why most of the maps focus on 2v2s, in which you must bring the best ship in the meta to stay effective.

You mean the Junker?

(I hate to sound like a broken record, but I'll just reiterate here what I've said in other threads: the Junker is without question the best ship in the game. The Pyra's the best in low-level matches because it's much easier to use.)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:26:57 am »
I just don't understand why most of the maps focus on 2v2s

Also, this is wrong. There are six 2v2 maps and eight 3v3 maps.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 12:23:11 pm »
The main reason: it takes forever for us to fill those games. Most people don't have the patience to sit there and wait.

This is pretty much it. Even a 2v2 lobby can often spend a close to 1:1 ration of time in lobby vs. time in match, especially if it's a slow time of day. You've got the people who never ready up, the people who join a lobby and leave if the game doesn't start immediately, the people who join, realize they just joined a half-empty team going against a full team with all the same clan tags and the people who just plain can't sit still for long. Getting 16 players is easier than getting 32, even if the bigger games are more fun.

Offline Nidh

• Salutes: 16
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 01:58:58 pm »
Attention spans of Goldfish type players are big problems to getting 3v3/4v4 content going. There kinda needs to be a way to fill these better.

I beg your pardon

Offline Warpspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 02:05:08 pm »
Perhaps a small change, were larger sized games are put at the top of the matchmaking list would facilitate more people joining. I also see the fact that there is only one 4v4 map, and only one Resource Race map as a significant problem. Even if those modes are super fun, playing on the same map all the time might get a bit boring.

Offline Imagine

• Salutes: 59
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:12:22 pm »

I beg your pardon
Yeah, sorry, what exactly does this have to do with people who fly Goldfish?

Offline Zenark

• Salutes: 41
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »

I beg your pardon

I think he's referring to a literal Goldfish, not the ship. Some players have the attention span of a Goldfish, ie. Three seconds.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »

I beg your pardon

I think he's referring to a literal Goldfish, not the ship. Some players have the attention span of a Goldfish, ie. Three seconds.
Probably shouldn't be capitalizing the word goldfish, then >.>

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 02:24:24 pm »
I think the game is balanced around 2v2 encounters. 3v3's or larger get a little meat grindy when one team can't regroup when facing the concentrated fire of three enemy ships. The capture point maps prevent meat grinding because it forces the winning team to stay in one spot thus allowing the loosing team a chance to form up and put a new plan into action. 3v3 death matches are some of the least interesting GOI matches. The only thing that matters is the initial encounter unless there are some very bad spawns or some very good mid game joiners.

Offline Imagine

• [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch Stream
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 02:37:05 pm »
I think the game is balanced around 2v2 encounters. 3v3's or larger get a little meat grindy when one team can't regroup when facing the concentrated fire of three enemy ships. The capture point maps prevent meat grinding because it forces the winning team to stay in one spot thus allowing the loosing team a chance to form up and put a new plan into action. 3v3 death matches are some of the least interesting GOI matches. The only thing that matters is the initial encounter unless there are some very bad spawns or some very good mid game joiners.
I think the 3v3 tournament proved that to be mostly untrue. I mean, maybe for pugs it is but in a competitive setting, I actually like it more than 2v2.

Offline Warpspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 03:02:59 pm »

I'd give 3v3s another chance if I were you. There's no reason you should be rushing right back into the fray after you die. The maps are large enough that you should regroup with your team and make better plans after the first lost encounter.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 03:21:04 pm by Warpspeed »

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:00 pm »
I think the 3v3 tournament proved that to be mostly untrue. I mean, maybe for pugs it is but in a competitive setting, I actually like it more than 2v2.

I think that's the heart of the problem. Two PuG ships will often 'cooperate' simply because the battle is so small there's a 50-50 chance they're attacking the same target anyway (and 50-50 they're being attacked). In 3v3, you can end up with three different battles going on in three spots on the map- if you're lucky, and you don't get two 2v1 skirmishes...or a 3v2 with one guy off running into walls. Yeah, people are supposed to be talking to each other...but that doesn't always happen.