Author Topic: Ship Tier List  (Read 60877 times)

Offline Ccrack

• Salutes: 25
    • [duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Tier List
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 05:32:50 pm »
i think people misunderstand the squid

its obviously an ambush ship, and saying they are barely a threat seems a bit silly to me since a gat / mortar squid has about the same killing power as a pyra

Offline Calico Jack

• Salutes: 25
    • [2620]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 08:42:38 pm »
I agree with you Ccrack - infact people will write them off when they see them in a lobby which gives them an added layer of psychological armour known to the layperson as "shame".

Offline Lord Fontelroy

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 12:06:55 pm »
The squid isn't useless, but it requires specific strategies to be effective. It's a hit and run, close range ship that can harass the enemy pretty effectively. You just have to have a teammate to tank with while you dance around, spreading fire to every ship.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2013, 11:27:26 pm »
The pyra is good, it's easy for each crew member to perform well. But put me and my guys in a squid versus your pyra or galleon, you'll lose everytime.

Offline Eukari

• Salutes: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2013, 05:47:42 pm »
Anyone else noticed how the arguments about the Pyra and Squid are basically mirrors of each other?

Pyra: Someone says the Pyra is too powerful, many jump in to explain how weak it really is while thinly insinuating the original poster doesn't know how to play the game.
Squid: Someone says the Squid is too weak, many jump in to explain how good it really is while thinly insinuating the original poster doesn't know how to play the game.

Can we maybe reach the point where we admit how good/bad a ship is really comes down to how good/bad the crew it carries is? I mean, I understand that there are real differences between the ships and that those differences can affect matches. But that really mostly applies at the very bottom level of play (when nobody knows what they're doing, so the hard differences between ships matter) and at the very top level of play (where everyone's really good, and the mechanical differences between ships come back into play).

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2013, 05:53:57 pm »
Anyone else noticed how the arguments about the Pyra and Squid are basically mirrors of each other?

Pyra: Someone says the Pyra is too powerful, many jump in to explain how weak it really is while thinly insinuating the original poster doesn't know how to play the game.
Squid: Someone says the Squid is too weak, many jump in to explain how good it really is while thinly insinuating the original poster doesn't know how to play the game.

Can we maybe reach the point where we admit how good/bad a ship is really comes down to how good/bad the crew it carries is? I mean, I understand that there are real differences between the ships and that those differences can affect matches. But that really mostly applies at the very bottom level of play (when nobody knows what they're doing, so the hard differences between ships matter) and at the very top level of play (where everyone's really good, and the mechanical differences between ships come back into play).

You get a salute for this!

Offline Cadrean

• Salutes: 0
    • [INNU]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 02:31:59 am »
http://www.twitch.tv/innuendosquad/b/450872678

Skip to about 38:30 in and you'll see the squid used in a pretty good way.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:37:08 am by Cadrean »

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 04:38:01 pm »
Spire useless?

So many players just dont know how to use the god damn ship. Its my favourite and i wreck other people with it, even if it is pyramidions.
But with a crew that does not know what they are doing. Its just a huge handicap.

I cannot play a proper spire without my crew from my clan. Public play with the spire just does not let itself be easy because of how trigger happy and non roleplaying the players usually are.
Like a gunner gunning the mine launcher and not the hwacha.

Or seeing him take the mercury and not the heavy flak.

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 03:11:46 pm »
How does the Heavy Flak do on the Goldfish? I mean, I know everyone's all "The Lesmok changes made Heavy Flak useless," but if I'm just PuGing it will it be that terrible? I want something a little more flexible than the Lumberjack.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 03:23:43 pm »
How does the Heavy Flak do on the Goldfish? I mean, I know everyone's all "The Lesmok changes made Heavy Flak useless," but if I'm just PuGing it will it be that terrible? I want something a little more flexible than the Lumberjack.

'Bad' describes it pretty well.

Don't even try it, it's horrible, you are basically completely dependant on your ally to take down the enemy's armor. Your main gun will lack any sort of utility other than an occassional stack of fire.

Anyway.. I can't be arsed to explain all the reasons that make the HF horrible on a Goldfish, let's just stay at 'You can't pair it with piercing' argument.

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2013, 04:04:21 pm »
I have to say, I'm a little disappointed at just how many guns are currently considered "bad." I mean, there's...what, a handful of guns people actually use? Mercury, mortar, gatling, hwacha, light carronade...flamer is annoying, but ultimately kinda useless. The heavy carronade only even goes on three ships. I wish there was a little more variety beyond "this is the build you use at range, this is the build you use up close. Anything else is worthless." Sure, you can have some fun with crazy mine-laying builds or whatever, but that's pretty much it.

Offline James T. Kirk

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 182
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
    • The Cake Official Website!
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2013, 03:57:37 am »
Crazy flamer builds.

Don't forget the crazy flamer builds.

Offline TimTim LaBaguette

• Salutes: 8
    • [LBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2013, 06:35:35 am »
You're better off using the heavy flak on a spire and alpha striking than putting it on a goldfish. Try it if you're running with an organized team though as having your ally strip armor and your flakfish making that one shot kill will be very enjoyable.

Offline Thaago

• Salutes: 12
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2013, 05:48:13 pm »
Flak on the fish can still be good, but only with an ally dedicated to anti armor.

I had great success playing a flak fish (carronades on sides) when my ally took a double gatling pyramidion. We had a very mobile killing team going for a while, though it was a bit tough for me if my ally bit it.

Its not exactly optimal, but can be fun.

Offline Eukari

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2013, 06:26:44 pm »
Thaago, that sounds about right.

My vision was a Goldfish with Heavy Flak on front and a Gatling on each side. The Gatling has a pretty good arc, so you'd only really need to turn slightly after taking down their armor. (even easier with a Phoenix Claw) With Heavy Clip, the gungineer can hit from pretty far away on the side guns and the gunner can switch between Heavy Clip/Burst/whatever as needed on the front. It's not as intuitive as a Gatling/Mortar Pyramidion or as versatile as a Junker, but (on paper, at least) seems like it could get the job done.

Actually...three Flak Goldfish plus five Gatling Junker sounds like something I'd love to see at least once!