Author Topic: A poll for pen-and-paper RPG players  (Read 15619 times)

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
A poll for pen-and-paper RPG players
« on: May 18, 2013, 04:35:04 pm »
Hello

I would like to invite every paper-and-paper RPGs players (like D&D, Warhammer etc) to participate in a poll about RPG characters. The poll is needed for my girlfriend who is doing a university psychology project. You have to choose one of your RPG characters that you played with. The more developed character the better. All you have to do is answer 4 simple questions; 2 questions you yourself personally and the other 2 as if it was your character speaking. Answers don't have to be long; a few sentences is enough but if you want, you can write more. The poll is anonymous, that's why I want you to send your answers as a private message or to  p m a r c z e s k i @ g m a i l . c o m  and they will be deleted after being analyzed. 

Questions:
1. Write a short biography about yourself. Who are you? Where do you come from? How to you feel in the surrounding reality?
2. Write about your chosen RPG character. What is his/her name? What is your attitude towards him/her? What can you say about him/her? How can you describe him/her?
3. Imagine that you are the chosen RPG character. Tell something about yourself. What is your story? Where do you come from? How to you feel in the surrounding reality?
4. Imagine that you are the chosen RPG character and that you know person that created you. What is your attitude towards your creator (although the character doesn't have to know that we was created just for gaming purpose)? What can you say about him/her or to him/her? What do you you think about him/her?

I would like to thank everyone in advance for participating in this poll.

And of course I hope this thread doesn't break any forum rules and such... ^^
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:39:20 pm by Redorio diVario »

Offline Charon

• Salutes: 95
    • [RAFT]
    • View Profile
Re: A poll for pen-and-paper RPG players
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 08:47:35 am »
No

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 11:15:29 am »
No

That's kinda rude. Why not? (Also, if you want, we can move this to the lounge. It's more fitting there.)

I'll see if I can type up a thing soon.

Offline Redorio diVario

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 01:40:12 pm »
Thanks. Sure, if You say the lounge is a better place for this topic then ok :).

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »
Moved it for you.

Offline Squash

• Salutes: 71
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:32:27 am »
lol, why on earth would this be psychology homework?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 08:04:29 am »
I'm afraid to answer this, I'm a DM for two groups and I actually get paid for it.  This might be staring down the rabbit hole if I think to hard on it.

Offline Moriarty

• Salutes: 18
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 08:50:41 am »
4e?

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 01:11:15 pm »
i dont see the link.

I play a warhammer beta called only war (you are imperial guards)
i am playing sergeant, the only reason I chose that class, is because the party needed it.

I tend to play what the party needs.
I dont think there is any bigger psychologi in it other than I just tried out a class hehe.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 04:30:06 pm »
I would... but the only RP I've ever done is the Burning Skies saloon....

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »
Do that!

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 07:46:44 pm »
4e?

Yes 4e.  Big planned out maps, large encounters, plot driven adventure with lore I've had to painstakingly create while cannibalizing other content.  My favorite tiny lore thing to date, Elven arrow heads that have tiny series of glyphs etched into them.  An entire quiver of the original arrows is a verse from a song, the entire set sings the song.  Some are laments, some are ballads, some are dirges.  They were crafted during a fletchers long and interesting life, his joys, sorrows, triumphs and failures recorded on the arrow heads.  After years they've gained a power of their own to some degree.  The Lament of the Tree Born are the most powerful set, recording the loss of an Elf kingdom from interior conflict then outside invasion.

But for myself, I'm a former SeaBee, currently a care worker for juveniles in gangs serving time in a DYS facility.  I was a disaster relief team tech and worked in some of the worst human and natural disaster zones in the past 10 years, from the Tsunami in 05 to the war in Iraq.
My view of reality is generally, behave, mind your manners, help your neighbor, help yourself.  The healthier the community is in which I live, the better off me and mine will be, and few people know how to reach out and help anymore so its to those that know how to teach them that it can be done and the benefit in doing so.

I don't have any particular character, my character is the world I create in DnD, and my attitude towards it is a creative outlet for me, and a tool for the enjoyment of others. 
My worlds tend to be humanly realistic, motivations are understandable, characters simple needs are required and I try to keep the characters and events in the world relative to some elements of life.  For example, I require players keep track of food and eating, it becomes a part of the story and motivations for the characters, and players, to secure good quality food.  NPCs in my world will notice things like riches, waste and belligerence and will react accordingly depending on their means and character.  Players will be mobbed with beggar children in the streets and have their money stolen, whores will attempt to attract them into their cribs and drunkards will stab them in the back for a perceived insult.
The more ridiculous the players want to be, the stranger the game will react to them, which I encourage because it need to stay fun.  Though sometimes I'm at a pause on how a person might react to a fairy riding a dire wolf while playing a lute followed by two vampires and a dragon born with a giant onyx warhammer.
Lynch mobs have happened in the past in these games....

If I was the world, reacting to me, in a simple sense I would be the all creator and god, trying to understand the motivations for doing the things that have been done and realizing that the vision of creation isn't perfect, and this creator is not a benevolent one by any degree.  Wickedness and kindness play a central role and are at constant battle for balance, and depending on the situation of the character I would either praise or curse the god above with the role to which I was given. 

Offline Sir Hawkeye

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 12:33:48 am »
Sent you a PM glad I could help.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 08:30:12 am »
Do that!
hrmm, problem is that I haven't really set up some background for it... I'm just playing along, hehe

Offline Nadrynne

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:08 pm »
I was hoping this was a poll to see how many people would like to see a GoI PnP RP game when I clicked the thread. =P