Author Topic: Achievement system flaw  (Read 73106 times)

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Achievement system flaw
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2013, 02:17:51 pm »
Not a fan of this achievement system at all.
It forces often unnatural and counterproductive gameplay (gunner with fire extinguisher?) and it forces me to use ships I don't like. I struggled to get the Goldfish achievements because the Goldfish is my least favourite ship, playing with it was a chore and no mattaer how many games I did with it I didn't like it any better.

Thing is, if you want to give incentives to experiment and try other ships then make it totally optional and separated form leveling. It could maybe give specific cosmetic items, but leveling should be something natural, that everyone can do just playing the game however you want. Level matters to me in this game because I'm a pretty good pilot and I want my level to represent that.
I shouldn't have to cripple my stats because I was forced to play a ship I don't really like in order to level up.
But it doesn't force you to do anything. If your goal is to complete every achievement ever, then you're probably not the type to care about unnatural gameplay. If your level matters to you as you say, then that's fine. You can still reach quite a high level even if you ignore all of the achievements you don't like. I still don't understand when people say they're forced to play in a way they don't like. I don't feel forced into doing anything. I haven't completed that gunner with extinguisher achievement because it'd be silly for me to take an extinguisher as a gunner, and that's okay. If I was a completionist, I'd worry about it. But I'm not.

(Also, in my humble opinion, a good pilot is able to fly with any ship -- or at least most of them.)

Uhm... Yes it does? If I want to complete an achievement I am obviously forced to do so in the way the achievement is set up. I can't complete an achievement for the Goldfish using the Galleon, thus if I want that achievement I am forced to play as the Goldfish.
Making assumptions like "if you care about achievement you shouldn't care for unnatural gameplay" is just a logical fallacy, in this game achievements=leveling and while I normally don't care about achievements I do care about leveling. In most games leveling is tied to experience and just playing the game however you want, thus I can ignore achievement to pursue the objective of leveling up, in this game I cannot do that.

As for stats and k/d ratio not counting that is also a subjective opinion, the game provides me with comprehensive stats for my character, thus I care for said stats, be it k/d ratio, level and all that good stuff.
If the game didn't want me to care then such stats would be hidden and/or there wouldn't be a leveling system at all.

If something is a feature in the game then it's logical to care about it.

Also, I don't like the Goldfish, not even a Lumberfish, I do just fine with Squid and Galleon, thanks. I can pilot other ships, which I would argue are easier to pilot then the Squid and the Galleon (at least if you want to win), I just don't want to because I don't like them.

your last sentence... You don't want to because you don't like them. I don't like them either but so what? you ever played COD? they have random ass things to do to earn stuff to look good (because face it, rank is just to look good not a question of skill but experience)

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Achievement system flaw
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2013, 02:19:14 pm »
First of all I don't know why you're so concerned with the achievements.

They're designed so people who want to aim for them and claim cosmetic rewards or just a higher title in game.

I also enjoy the fact that they "FORCE" me as you would say to do things I usually wouldn't ever use or do; Granted that it may put myself and my team at a disadvantage when I have to rebuild X parts in y seconds of destruction as a gunner but it's long term goal is to "train" and "educate" players in what high level or even competitive play can be like and that's why I"m confused in why you're angry about this?

If you're top the type to learn or try new things then simply don't do the achievements? Nobody is forcing you to do them although the level progression is tied in together with the achievements it's basically a quick buffer for most players. Example being If I see a level 11 Pilot I can be dam sure he knows what he is doing and won't have any problems, just like having a level 7+ gunner I can be sure he knows what ammo to bring with him for each gun to be useful as well as knowing how to shoot each gun.

That's how I view the achievements in this game compared to other games; the view being that it's an extended tutorial in a sense that it makes you use combinations of ammo/tools/guns and tactics you normally wouldn't. :D

Salute!
you've hit the nail on the head there bud!