Author Topic: Achievement system flaw  (Read 73111 times)

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Achievement system flaw
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 04:30:12 pm »
The thing is, it's not really being forced at all. You don't need achievements. They don't make you better at what you do. If you don't want to get achievement x, then you can simply avoid it. There are a bunch of different categories anyways, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to leave one or two aside.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 04:52:25 pm »
The thing is, it's not really being forced at all. You don't need achievements. They don't make you better at what you do. If you don't want to get achievement x, then you can simply avoid it. There are a bunch of different categories anyways, so it shouldn't be much of a problem to leave one or two aside.
This so much.

It's not like you're forced into doing something you don't want to do just to advance in the game. You have access to everything and can have just as much fun being level 1 as you can at level 11. There are a few achievements I've completely ignored (taking an extinguisher as a gunner, for example) because they limit my effectiveness or they're just not something I want to do.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2013, 07:48:21 am »
There is actually strategy in remaining level 1. Everyone will underestimate you. Maybe.

That said, I am far less likely to listen or even take a level 1 seriously. And I like being able to see how I stack up against other people. This might not be the best measuring stick, but it is a measuring stick nonetheless. These levels might only have the meaning we give them, but I like a badge that shows how much I've played. It sort of shows how much I care about the game, in spite of the inane things it requires me to do!

(Plus I want all those cool cool outfits!)

I'm caught in the crossroads of both really liking that there are levels ( and that they are not easy to get) and very glad that they don't actually mean anything. I would never take an extinguisher in a tourney, but if it's casual...I like to have silly or experimental games sometimes. Losing is fun!

Point being:

I want to be the very best
Like no one ever was
To complete pilot is my real quest
Eleven is my cause! (Or whatever number is highest at the time your read this.)

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2013, 07:56:03 am »
If anything, my only complaint is about the map specific achievements like the dunes one being a bit too specific. Ramming in dunes yeeee.

Offline timmymonsta

• Salutes: 16
    • [BSSN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2013, 09:01:20 am »
If anything, my only complaint is about the map specific achievements like the dunes one being a bit too specific. Ramming in dunes yeeee.

I'll admit that's a little bit annoying as well, but I can understand it as being similar to specific ship achievements. It's to get people playing on the different maps instead of every other game being played on dunes. To be entirely honest, I wouldn't have gotten off dunes if it wasn't for an achievement. Now I enjoy many of the maps that were created for the game.

Offline Echoez

• Salutes: 40
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25:05 am »

I'll admit that's a little bit annoying as well, but I can understand it as being similar to specific ship achievements. It's to get people playing on the different maps instead of every other game being played on dunes. To be entirely honest, I wouldn't have gotten off dunes if it wasn't for an achievement. Now I enjoy many of the maps that were created for the game.

But but but!.. Zee rams ; n;

Anyway, I agree, though I believe many people would eventually get bored of Dunes and try something else, this specific achievement is still kinda annoying x3

Also what's with the most popular maps in most games I play being desert themed?..

CS = De_Dust2
TF2 = Dustbowl
now GoI with Dunes.
heck even in CoD4, Crossfire, imo the most popular map, is pretty much in a desert enviroment.

I request the next super popular map be in an arctic enviroment >:c

Offline Premier

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2013, 09:48:00 am »
Ramming in Dunes is irritating. It's a lot of components for a map so open that it doesn't really suit ramming in the first place.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2013, 10:31:40 am »
It used to be ram kills, not just component kills. I wasn't to say that's harder but idk, lol.

Offline Surette

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 24
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
    • Personal homepage
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 10:40:48 am »
It used to be ram kills, not just component kills. I wasn't to say that's harder but idk, lol.
Honestly I'd prefer ram kills, at least that way I can get the hull down with a gatling and then moonshine ahead; as it stands now I just have to arbitrarily crash into them and hope I take out one of their components.

Offline Plasmarobo

• Salutes: 41
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 03:26:05 pm »
Naw, the Pyr has that nice point. Just aim the giant spike at the balloon or something. Or the galleons guns.

Not easy, but not that bad.

Offline NikolaiLev

• Salutes: 4
    • [Fur]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2013, 08:04:37 am »
I'd like to chime in to say that I loathe GoIO's achievement system.  It's actually worse than most achievement systems, which already occasionally cause sub-optimal playing.  However, it's generally a rare thing to see in other games.  But here, it seems to be every fourth random crew member I get is on what I've affectionately dubbed a "wrench quest."

An engineer with a mallet and pipe wrench.  A gunner with an extinguisher.  A crew member joining as a Pilot to get multi-classing achievements.  These are not only sub-optimal, they cost games.  It's got to be one of the most destructive achievement systems I've ever seen and I truly wish it never saw the light of day.

I'm a strong opponent of any achievement system because the above is almost inevitable.  However, a lot of people like the grind and sense of progress.  So at the end of the day, it depends on whether or not you want a larger playerbase or more solid gameplay.  It's definitely more profitable not to care about the grognardy types such as myself, after all.   :P

I know Muse wants to see its playerbase experiment and have fun with their game, but honestly the lengths to which this is taken are unsettling, and always have been.  From the way they withhold balance-relevant data to the achievement system, I think there are things that could be done a lot better.

Offline SeaOfInsanity

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2013, 03:10:15 am »
My previous post was a bit simple so allow me to elaborate.
I certainly agree from your perspective and I play how I am most comfortable but i'm thinking from the perspective of the OP. As someone who use to care about achievements I don't understand the benefit of having a locked achievement system.
True enough, as you said, there are various categories meaning that while you earn other achievements you would, in theory, be well on your way to earning some of the more problematic ones but so far I have been playing mostly the same maps and ships so while I can appreciate what their method of thinking was behind it I still don't think it works all that well and I don't think locking achievements is required.
Those who don't care about achievements (me) won't be affected by the locking and will most likely experiment naturally and for those that don't, locking achievements won't persuade them otherwise.
Those who do care about achievements (OP) are forced to experiment in a very specific manner where as if it were unlocked they would still experiment but in much broader terms.

Locked achievements doesn't promote experimentation anymore than unlocked ones do.

Offline Shikra

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2013, 06:18:11 pm »
Chiming in as another player who dislikes the achievement system as it currently stands, for basically the reasons that have already been expressed.

Of course it's totally feasible to just ignore achievements; it's easy to get to level 4 or 5 without even knowing how levelling works, and there's no real point to the levels other than signalling in the lobby that you're not a total first-day noob.

But it feels like something of a missed opportunity. I think it would be more fun for players if the achievements were organized into a greater number of shallower categories, with more of an actual progression within each category.

Offline Darcain

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2013, 04:29:32 am »
Yeah the achivements should maybe not be in a particular order, a day or two ago I played a game with someone who had to use helium and vent chute, for 180 seconds, maybe that should be lowered drastically, tactically most people I've seen never pick them up at all, they prefer using something like claw kerosene bumpers.

In general the achivements should maybe not be in a tree like they are now.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2013, 05:21:15 pm »
I'm happy the way it is. It encourages people to try different things and different tactics. Some that have changed my views and helped me win in other circumstances. Have an open mind. its not forcing you to be terrible, its helping you create a better synergy with your team-mates :)