Author Topic: Duel at Dawn Invisible Wall  (Read 24932 times)

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
Re: Duel at Dawn Invisible Wall
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 03:27:41 pm »
Although I will reexamine the map itself.  I was given incorrect instructions many builds ago and have needed to go back and reformat the map images.  If there is a problem with the image, it will be patched next round.

As I had expected, there was an error on the map.  It's actually shows a little too much.  It looks like you can fly to something when you can't.

I've corrected for this and it will be in the next build.  What's supposed to happen is that the rubber banding will occur once you hit map borders.  Your ship indicator will float off the map screen into free UI space, it looks funny but that's technically what's going on.  The further you go from the actual map, the stronger the rubber band and you will start to be dragged back onto the map.

This should resolve some confusion.

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2013, 01:46:32 am »
That sounds alright but optimally some way of extending the map boundaries or moving that debris in a bit would be better.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:03 pm »
I understand the difficulties involved and also agree with your prioritization (not that my concurrence matters :P), but it's a point at least worth harping on to avoid it happening in the future.

Offline Chango

• Salutes: 13
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 01:42:20 am »
That spot is a pain.
Due to the unique nature of the map(so damn small), I think the resolution is to create a real border. Have the art department design enough scrap and debris to create more of an arena feel to the map by creating boundaries of scrap metal. This would solve the problem and I think will look pretty damn cool.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 02:14:17 am »
The way awkm phrased it sounds like having the rubber banding slam you into the debris was intentoinal.  Even if the 2D map is shrunk a bit, I don't think you should be smacking into debris for any reason other than wind and pilot error.  It's a very "artificial" obstacle, if that makes sense.  I like Chango's idea, if there's going to be a wall it'd be better for it to be one that's clearly visible and makes sense when you go smashing into it, but it's a solution that requires new assets and lightmapping.  I really, REALLY would rather the rubberbanding wall be expanded so that it's always reasonably possible to fly around an obstacle on both sides.  Resources or not, as it is now Duel at Dawn is a map I'll play on for achievements and nothing more, there's just better maps to play on.

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 05:17:58 am »
I very often want to try to go through there because most fights end up on that edge of the map plus the close by spawn point. What if the wind blew the other direction, away from the big open space invisible wall and into the scrap? Ships already gravitate to that area to be in open space, why blow them there also?

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 06:02:49 am »
Players gravitating towards certain areas is a good thing, it's part of the map design.  I suppose that's another sloppy fix, just blow people away from the "buggy" areas, but I'd still prefer the invisible map borders be extended a bit.

Offline Gryregaest

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 03:34:45 am »
As much as I don't like invisible walls in video games, they have to work with what they can. How about just a notice that you've hit the boundary? I've gotten in a number of games with new pilots who don't realize what's happening and keep bouncing off the invisible wall, and may not be aware that there even is a map (took me awhile). This can be a little frustrating, especially if there's a language barrier, and telling them proves ineffective. Just a quick message popping up that you've reached the boundary of the combat area.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2013, 08:47:03 am »
duel at dawn is the rookie pilot killer, leave it as it is. it's the only way we can stop new pilots on insisting to fly galleons as if they were squids.

Offline Phoebe

• Salutes: 62
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2013, 09:42:32 am »
duel at dawn is the rookie pilot killer, leave it as it is. it's the only way we can stop new pilots on insisting to fly galleons as if they were squids.

I think there's a big difference between a skill curve for pilots to fly on difficult to navigate maps;- and rookie pilots getting frustrated with map design because a large structure you naturally want to manouvre around suddenly suprises you as you end up bumping the invisible map border.

It's a legit issue that doesn't add anything to being a skillful or succesful sailor in Guns of Icarus Online;- it only causes a frustration that is less noticeable with more experience captains that know where exactly the map ends.

Before I signed up on this forum I actually sent in a feedback e-mail myself about Duel at Dawn because I ended up being pinballed between invisible wall & actual visible collison all the time trying to navigate carefully around the obstructions.  I was flying fine;- I was keeping my galleon steady and steered it pretty well in between small gaps - I just couldn't handle when my fat tushy suddenly hit an invisible wall and I had to somehow recover from a really nasty bumpy position all while guessing where the map border might be.

It's the same thing with the spawn logic for Duel at Dawn.  Often you spawn literally right against a scrap pillar where your only option is to backpeddle;- but if you don't immediately turn and full thrust forward you bump into the wall again. 

That's just poor map design and a lack of knowledge and experience with that design;- and has nothing to do with skillful piloting.

I understand it's difficult with so little resources and manpower and more important issues at hand to really work on these things and provide short term solutions;- and I can totally deal with the outcome that I'll just have to memorize the map edge well enough - but I don't really like when someone insinuates this is what seperates rookies and veterans.  It just seperates different groups with different tolerances towards imperfection of gameplay.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 11:07:20 am »

It's the same thing with the spawn logic for Duel at Dawn.  Often you spawn literally right against a scrap pillar where your only option is to backpeddle;- but if you don't immediately turn and full thrust forward you bump into the wall again. 

the reason you bump into parts of the map in the beginning is because of the wind.
the map got really weird after the wind was introduced, so I can understand why a lot of players are frustrated with it.

if I remember correctly, hitting the edges of the map wasnt as big a problem before the wind was introduced, now you are just on complete lockdown in a corner if the wind wants to blow you out of the map.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 09:57:17 pm »
There really needs to be some flapping fabric on these ships to show you which way the wind's blowing, "realistically" you'd feel it on your skin or feel the resistance like you do when driving a car.

Wind aside, I completely agree with Pheobe, it's a flaw in the design and nothing more, experienced players just tend to tolerate the game's blemishes a bit more just out of necesssity.  The map and loading bugs seem to be some of the biggest issues brought up in reviews, I really do hope they're priorities even if it delays new content.  It's one thing to have a wall assited manuever, it's another to get stuck on something and take repeated damage because of wonky collisions.  The ceiling on Canyon Ambush counts too, either make something low enough to fly over or make it too high to even try, don't do something in between.

Offline awkm

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
    • Notes for Next Century—n4n100
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2013, 03:57:51 pm »
I'll take a look at spawn points but they're all there for a reason.  I suspect the wind is just too much for people.

Also, the design for Canyons is intentional.  You CAN fly above some of peaks with the proper skills.  It provides interesting and unexpected tactics.  I've seen people use them many times.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2013, 02:43:05 am »
Hydrogen at just the right time is a great way to escape people on canyons.

Offline Jazzza

• Salutes: 16
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2013, 04:15:07 am »
So I played on Duel at Dawn again yesterday after a good few months of inactivity and (drum roll) the invisible still exists. EVERY ship hit that wall. I even tried to moonshine my Squid out of harms way INTO the wall without realising it still existed.

*sigh*