Author Topic: The Anglean Republic  (Read 104304 times)

Offline Gato Blanco

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
Re: The Anglean Republic
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 10:58:35 am »
I like the cut of your jib.  I dont know what a jib is, or why you would cut it, but I like it!

I like the idea of giving skilled thralls incentive to be happy workers and not sabotage everything, but giving them citizenship, or titles and other accolades??  The ability to move around or escape Anglea?  Not so hot.

However, give their children the chance of citizenship, to start life with substantial prestige, now that looks nice.  What parent doesn't want the best for their kid.  Also, if the parent ever thinks to take a stab at the republic, well, it could be bad news for the kid, loss of honor, loss of citizenship (if it occurs before they come of age, if it happens after I dont really see them revoking it), or worse...

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 11:21:22 am »
I guess that's what I meant by establishing a house, they could have children. You wouldn't exactly want a slave population reproducing in a Nation where resources are already limited.

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 11:51:19 am »
Good point too, thralls that are loyal or skilled are able to marry and actually have children, like Roman slaves and servants could (Romans!).  Or not marry, I'm not judgemental.

Reading the wiki on thralls has led me to pretty much ditch the potential Roman influence.  Thralls could become Freedmen, people who were still obligated to do things in favor of their former masters, and would become freemen after a few generations.  Similar to the idea I put forth in my last post.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 05:23:42 pm »
I like the cut of your jib.  I dont know what a jib is, or why you would cut it, but I like it!
The jib is the front sail of a tall ship. Each nation during the age of sail had their own ship designs which often varied how the Jib was shaped. The English tended to favor triangular Jibs, where as the Spanish favored square Jibs. So seeing a triangular cut Jib meant the ship was of English origin and you could apply what ever personal prejudices you had towards the English to that ship and its crew.

As for the Anglean Republic I like how they are situated in an inhospitable section of the world filled with preserved ancient technology they may not understand. I hope their ship designs will be some sort of fusion of high and low tech. Like an ancient rail gun which was once sleek metal, but is now covered in mystic runes and hanging from a leather sling.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »
Awaken some of the old world superstitions, Anglean raiders riding in on Fenrirs great howl from the north, that brings with it to the Yeshan north the first frosts of winter.

Blue painted madmen in heavy armor slogging up earthen entrenchments wielding trench axes and one shot carbines that crack like lightning into a thin line of Yeshan militia unprepared for the sudden and explosive violence of an Anglean Berzerker screaming curses like a Swedish pagan storming the shores of ancient England.

I can imagine war drums thundering from the decks of long ships, with great sails unfurled with the emblems of Nordic heraldry and symbols blazed across them.  The fires ignited in the hearts of men and shield-maidens as the first bloodshed waters the ground for a grim harvest of the north with it's human scythe.

It would seem like, to those that fell victim to these raids, that the entire world was ending.  They would be lightning fast and leave ruin behind them, never allowing an organized military counter attack before.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »
Blue painted madmen
That's Celts btw       ...damn Skyrim    :P
they also didn't wear to much armor      ...ok I'll stop being a knit-picker, sorry

Though I have to agree, blue and black/white would fit Anglea better than red and black. Especially since all their clothes, ships and buildings we've seen soo far has been blue and black/white.

And the scene you just painted in front of my eyes. I want it so badly.

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 07:48:08 pm »
I agree, the Chinese also believe that red is a lucky colour, and a LOT of their shit is red.  Maybe the devs would quietly swap the colours of Anglea and Yesha?

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 02:55:17 am »
The blue thing was more from my own family history, the Ault clan symbol is a blue rooster, painted on the face.  We never knew where it came from, likely from exposure from the celts/angles I'm sure.  We still had members of the family drilling holes in their teeth and filling them with blue lines all the way up to the 1910's.
My entire community gives one of the Swedish engineers that works with a friend of mine chills.  He doesn't know what to think about the town when he sees the last names all have old viking clan names attached to french and english words or locations.

But ya, that scene... I'd imagine being higher on the tech side the Angleans would have invented or use some kind of body armor to protect their troops during these lightning raids. 

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 04:29:50 am »
I would think if they're raiding they would use intimidating armor. Mindfucks are sometimes more potent than raw power. Imagine them wearing armor to impersonate the demons or devils or evil spirits of every culture they raid.

Blasting war drums and raiding under cover of storms and nightfall, spooky. They would have a reputation as wraiths more than brutal bloodthirsty marauders.

Settlements would run for the hills the second drums started beating. Imagine one ship pounding wardrums, a small settlement runs for the hills, the ship comes in takes what it wants and leaves. No muss no fuss.

They could use multiple tactics, attack then start the drums to ingrain the fear of the wardrums, then use that ingrained fear to cause people to run from smaller settlements.

Offline Gato Blanco

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 04:55:52 am »
During the vietnam war, the bicycle card company, at the request of the army, sent a ton of card decks, of just the ace of spades.  The vietnamese feared the ace of spades from their previous occupation (The French, I believe).  The army, after leveling a village, would spread around a few decks worth of cards to scare the locals

I can see the Angleans mucking up the place with ancient Anglean runes for "LOLBUTTS" after a raid on a place they dont want rebuilt, like a military installation.  Means nothing to them, but terrifies their enemies.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 07:30:37 am »
The blue thing was more from my own family history, the Ault clan symbol is a blue rooster, painted on the face.  We never knew where it came from, likely from exposure from the celts/angles I'm sure.
Sounds cool, makes me wish I had some family symbol of my own :/   Sorry about making judgmental remarks about your knowledge.

But ya, that scene... I'd imagine being higher on the tech side the Angleans would have invented or use some kind of body armor to protect their troops during these lightning raids. 
True.. true.   Especially for some kind of shock-troops in heavy armor and blunderblusses.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »
Awaken some of the old world superstitions, Anglean raiders riding in on Fenrirs great howl from the north, that brings with it to the Yeshan north the first frosts of winter.

Blue painted madmen in heavy armor slogging up earthen entrenchments wielding trench axes and one shot carbines that crack like lightning into a thin line of Yeshan militia unprepared for the sudden and explosive violence of an Anglean Berzerker screaming curses like a Swedish pagan storming the shores of ancient England.

I can imagine war drums thundering from the decks of long ships, with great sails unfurled with the emblems of Nordic heraldry and symbols blazed across them.  The fires ignited in the hearts of men and shield-maidens as the first bloodshed waters the ground for a grim harvest of the north with it's human scythe.

It would seem like, to those that fell victim to these raids, that the entire world was ending.  They would be lightning fast and leave ruin behind them, never allowing an organized military counter attack before.

Hey, Tim...UR WRONG! :P

I knew this would happen if I said Vikings...why'd I have to say Vikings? It's a pretty handy parallel for describing their political and economic situation, but not their aesthetics. They're really not barbarians, they're pretty damn organized and "civilized" (they just don't like you much!). Just try to get all those bearded Norsemen and dragon longboats out of your head, they're only confusing everyone. :)

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2013, 04:39:39 pm »
Pfft Jess, Vikings aren't barbarians. Now Celts on the other hand  :P

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2013, 05:38:33 pm »
Barbarians are any outsider who does not conform to our social customs and norms. Like people who drive on the left side of the road, still have a monarchy, and insist on stopping everything around 4 to 6 to indulge in some ritual involving boiled stick water.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2013, 06:20:25 pm »
Barbarians are any outsider who does not conform to our social customs and norms.

Originally yes, but hasn't the word transformed into simply meaning uncivilized people? Though, ok that can debatably be the same thing.