Author Topic: Allow a 8-16 man crew to pilot a capital ship  (Read 9275 times)

Offline Nacredem

• Salutes: 1
    • [D'sC]
    • View Profile
Allow a 8-16 man crew to pilot a capital ship
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:44:40 pm »
I was curious how feasible it would be to allow for a large crew on a very large ship? The capital ships are so cool it'd be awesome to see them implemented some way. perhaps as the only ship in a mission? A major defense or a hail marry map where you have to run in and save the day, sort of like how it shows up in normal maps. As balance, maybe only allow faction leaders to host a map with one?

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: Allow a 8-16 man crew to pilot a capital ship
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:25:55 am »
I had similar idea few years back - a mode, where you have asymmetrical teams. One team runs regular ships like you do in GOI, while the other team is entirely deployed in sort of a giant boss ship, with multiple guns and some components doubled.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:23 am »
There are two issues with this. One is that the game is pretty much hardcoded for 4 players on a ship. Even the boss ships in PvE have 4 AI crew on them (unrendered).

The second issue is the coordination of more than 4 people on a single ship. Just 4 can be chaos.

However, I had an idea a while ago that would bypass both of these problems with a sectioned off capital ship. Basically, attach two ships together and don't allow the crews onto each other's decks. Ship A would be the main one, and control movement, while ship B would clone that movement. Ship B would also be a massive rotating turret within ship A, with a Gun Deck Pilot. 8 crew ship with a unique strafing ability.

Pink: ship A
Blue: gun deck (ship B)

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 12:46:55 pm »

Offline Nacredem

• Salutes: 1
    • [D'sC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:43:45 pm »
Neither of those options are suggesting using the capital ships that are already in place. They also have very little discussion on them. There also is the problem that if I added in my own two cents I'd be necroing a post over a year old or a post over 4 years old. So very sorry I didn't link all the proof that it wasn't suggested.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 05:21:33 pm »
Boarding is more likely to happen at this point. A man can dream ;)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 06:19:57 pm »
The current boss ships are not feasible as player ships. They are not designed to be walkable, and would need complete redesign. Anything like this would have to be made from scratch.

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 05:02:19 pm »
If Muse ever decided to make a sequel to Guns, taking into account all of what the community has offered up, and trying to address everything from scratch, there might be a chance.

As it stands, I'd still love something like this to happen, but unless there was a rerelease or a new game... unlikely. And I thank you for mentioning my ancient post @Guras. I'd honestly forgotten about that.