Author Topic: Idea for new tournament / league  (Read 4641 times)

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Idea for new tournament / league
« on: May 09, 2013, 05:32:44 pm »
Putting this here now because
1.)  Wonder if anyone would be on board.
2.)  With my current job, no clue if I get the weekend off come June-August, and would rather help with the rules.

SO!

It started with me playing with my D&D Dice with my cat when it dawned on me to make a set of rules where pretty much every round is fated by the dice.  What ships to use, what guns can't be used, and what gun must be used offensively.

We got six ships, which if I know my maths, I think that fits almost perfectly on a six-sided die.  Light as well as heavy guns.  I'll try to make this simple.

Banned ship:  The ship rolled cannot be used in that game by either team.
Supported ship:  The ship rolled must be one of the ships used by either team.  So if we roll a squid, I expect to see a red and blue squid.
Banned light:  The weapon rolled cannot even be seen in the game.
Tactical  Light:  The weapon rolled MUST be used in combat and MUST be on the ship that is not the Supported Ship.  The supported ship can use any build, with the exception of what the banned guns are.  (explanation below)
Banned and Tactical Heavy:  Same as the light, but since there are less ships with these guns, can be used on either supported ship or the other ship.  This weapon is optional, unless the supported ship uses heavy weapons, then it must be applied to that ship.

Weapon rule:  So, as said.  The banned guns are banned.  So if you are too used to using...let's sayy all Mercuries and the Mercury is banned for your game.  Well then, you can't use that build.  Figure something else out.  The Banned guns are applied to all ships.
Tactical Light:  These have to be on the ship that is not the supported ship.  They also have to follow a certain rule: they MUST be used offensively and therefore MUST be part of your offensive build.  Certain ships get certain expectations:

Junker:  One deck must include the guns in both slots.  So if the Tactical light of that build is a carronade, then there must be a carronade on both sides of either the upper or lower deck.  Front gun can be whatever.

Goldfish:  Both light guns must be the tactical gun.

Galleon:  One gun must be the tactical gun.  Remember: it HAS to be used.
Tactical Heavy:  Same deal as the Tactical Light.
Galleon:  must have said weapon on both broadsides, or used on both weapons on one broadside.  Remember, this gun has to be used.

Banned Guns: Cannot be used on either ship.  Cannot even be seen.

Supported Ships:  This ship HAS to be used as one of  the two ships.  It can use any weapon, as long as that weapon is not the banned weapon.  So, if the Supported Ship is the Junker  and the banned weapon is the Flare, then that means that there can be no flares on that Junker.
If the Supported Ship is the Goldfish, the Goldfish does not have to use the Tactical Heavy; however, the wingship then must be either A Galleon or Spire and MUST use the tactical heavy.  Example would be if the Supported Ship is the Goldfish with the Tactical Heavy being a Lumberjack.  Then you can use a Lumberspire or Galleon.
HOWEVER  If the Goldfish uses the Lumberjack, that still means the Wingship MUST use the Lumberjack.

Wingships:  Can be the ship that is not the Supported Ship or Banned ship.  Has to use the Tactical Heavy/Light.

I may throw in something to ban any heavy weapons for that game, just so we don't see Long Range Sniping Lumberjacks.  That is part of why I put in that the Tactical Weapon must be on the wingship and must be used.  So you can use your lumberjacks, but if your weapon is the Flamethrower...well...then you have to use that, as well.

Shooting said weapon into space does not count.  I have to see hit indicators.

Penalties:
Going with the card system used in football here.  One infraction = yellow card.  Two yellow cards = red card.  Red Card = That crew cannot play the next time they are listed.

Sooo if you get a red card.  Then those people on that ship cannot play the next scheduled, and your next team has to fill in the spots.

Yellow Cards remain with you for the entire tournament.  If there is a suspicion that you got the second yellow card on purpose to clear the cards, then you're out for three games.

Big rule: Sportsmanship
Being a poor sport in the REGIONAL chat is an instant RED card for that squad.  No exceptions.  I'm not going to let "I pressed 'j' by accident" fly by.  You have a mic, and you have crew chat.  Use those instead.    Once you start being a poor sport, doesn't matter what side, you ruin it for everyone who is trying to have a good time, let alone put a bad reputation on your crew.

Doesn't mean you can't jest to your team or crew; just remember, if it goes into regional chat, all four people on that ship are out for the next game.

-------

Frankly: I'm trying to make something that forces people to go out of the norm here....and overall have fun.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for new tournament / league
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 02:27:59 am »
Your making my gambling scratch itch dammit!
I'm loving the idea so far, I'd even support a system that randomized some of the weapons and ships, as I've always liked to play the cards as they land so to speak.  More fun that way, more challenge, the game really becomes about two teams trying to outwit one another rather than out damage.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 02:29:54 am by Lord Dick Tim »

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for new tournament / league
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 11:16:55 am »
Your making my gambling scratch itch dammit!
I'm loving the idea so far, I'd even support a system that randomized some of the weapons and ships, as I've always liked to play the cards as they land so to speak.  More fun that way, more challenge, the game really becomes about two teams trying to outwit one another rather than out damage.

That's my general plan.

Granted with the roll of the dice, we may have to see lumberjacks in Canyon Ambush
Or Carronades in Dunes.

The whole idea of the ships roll is to force people to use a ship they wouldn't be aquainted for, while the guns forces them to experiment with different builds.

Though my original idea was that the rolled ship must be the ship of the game.  So if a Squid is rolled...then everyone is a squid.

The banned / tactical weapons would still apply, but to all ships.

Then I got nice and made it the other way with the tactical weapon being the wingship.  So you can use your full artemis junker...but if the weapon is a carronade, and I don't see a carronade hit...thennnnn well you lose in the short-term.