Author Topic: 2nd Gunner Midmatch Join  (Read 50992 times)

Offline Corporal Ravioli

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Gunner Midmatch Join
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 03:16:32 pm »
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:37:04 pm by Corporal Ravioli »

Offline JakE Eshriver

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2017, 04:31:06 pm »

Offline JakE Eshriver

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 05:59:13 pm »
OH BABY A TRIPLE!

Still won the match though...

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 07:03:26 pm »
Max must've been elated to see this.

Offline JakE Eshriver

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 03:53:12 pm »
Max was pretty chill about it.

Offline JakE Eshriver

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 03:55:13 pm »
This one is a gem!

The fear of a double gunner midmatch join is strong in this one

Offline JakE Eshriver

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 11:18:17 am »
Courtesy of Wolf One and dionalli

Offline Narayan

• Salutes: 10
    • [◣﹏◢]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2017, 11:31:38 am »
If they ever do fix this I might come back. Also consider banning mid match noob joins.

Offline JakE Eshriver

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 12:10:58 pm »
You thought this thread was dead? Have some more double gunners!

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2017, 07:05:40 am »
I am surprised that this is still not here, seeing that Jake was actually in this bloody match, so let me post it:

Offline Corporal Ravioli

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2017, 07:18:45 am »
Yeah, that was Obey Me's thing. I suffered the same behavior on my Goldfish yesterday.

It's because he doesn't /know/. If there was a game mechanic in place to keep second gunners from joining, this would never happen. Sorta like how you can't have multiple pilots, huh? Right?

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2017, 07:45:46 am »
He doesn't know.

Because he doesn't care.

Guy most probably have his fucking voice chat disabled. AND he doesn't read the chat. I have spent multiple minutes yesterday telling him that you just DON'T join as a second gunner, anywhere, to help with repairs, etc., etc.

Nope. No reaction.

And mechanic like you mention would be pretty damn dandy, but hey, Muse can't be arsed apparently.

Edit: You also forgot one thing. 2/3 ships in that fucking match had 2ND GUNNERS, MOST OF THEM OUT OF MIDMATCH JOINS
[Glenn Fricker's voice] WHAT THE FUCK?! C'MON!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:12:50 am by Schwalbe »

Offline Hilary Briss

• Salutes: 22
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2017, 11:02:27 am »
If you attempt to join a running match as a pilot when there already is one, you are notified that you will be changed to engineer.

If a gunner is already on the vessel you are attempting to join, just treat it exactly the same. It may nip out some sort of quasi-legitimate "lolgunnerstrats" brain damage, but I seriously can not conceptualize how this kind of thing hasn't already be implemented, considering double pilot has already been removed.

Most likely reason; they'd rather the new players have a free reign to do as they please. Whilst it does nothing but piss off have established players. A win win.

Offline Corporal Ravioli

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2017, 10:24:56 am »
He doesn't know.

Because he doesn't care.

When considering new players, I find it difficult to attribute not knowing to not caring. This is especially true since so much of the education surrounding gameplay is inherently community-taught with no supporting game mechanics to provide structure for it. They only learn what they absorb from others, and that's such a squishy social variable that it's guaranteed that some will go about it civilly, and others /destructively/.

From a new player's perspective - and especially using other games as a means of (inaccurate) comparison - the gunner role seems to be the one that commands the most importance. If their (incorrect) understanding is that a vessel's chief effectiveness comes from those operating the armament, then the theory may assemble that the engineer is a dedicated "medic" that exclusively maintains the remaining operations. This is not a lack of /caring/, this is a misapplication of /logic/. If players are given free reign to choose whichever class they choose on joining, why couldn't this be the case?

A second gunner receiving flak for choosing that class may observe engineer as a demotion - "you're not allowed to shoot until you're actually good" - or even pressure into a role they don't believe they can handle yet.

This is why rigid game mechanics are so important. A cap on gunner joins communicates a paradigm that engineers are the "default" crew role, and that they are as functional (and important!) in offensive strategy as the rest of the crew. As well, it 100% prevents the genuine accidental join from a player that isn't versed enough to double-check their class before joining an empty slot.

This is not to discredit situations where a new gunner is purposefully being abrasive or denying advice from other players, but I believe that a lot of this behavior stems from a misunderstanding about important game mechanics that are not reinforced /anywhere/ in the architecture of the game itself. Hence why it's such a heated social situation whenever it crops up.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:29:30 am by Corporal Ravioli »

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2017, 10:32:23 am »
Ok, Ravioli? You missed the point.

Guy most probably have his fucking voice chat disabled. AND he doesn't read the chat. I have spent multiple minutes yesterday telling him that you just DON'T join as a second gunner, anywhere, to help with repairs, etc., etc.

Nope. No reaction.

If he gave a flying fuck, he would have that explained. As calmly as the situation would present me opportunity with.

I am very chill and defensive towards new players that listen and give some degree of fuck.