Author Topic: Battle of Trafalgar esque sky battles and other suggestions  (Read 5781 times)

Offline Mr.Bando

• Salutes: 4
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
-I'd some day like to see massed airship battles like 12 v 12 ships

-With only a few ships to choose from, how about variants of the same ship with different stats. IE a Goldfish that looks slightly different but with has more armor but less top speed and slower turning and so forth. Or maybe with different layout. Squid with only 2 light gun slots but both facing forward.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Trafalgar esque sky battles and other suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 11:31:35 pm »
12 v 12? As wonderful as it would be, think of the lag. Flayed is already slow. This would be impossible to run.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 01:47:22 am »
My brain just exploded.  Mechwarrior, but guns of Icarus.  I...I need to make minis.

Offline Respect

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:50:26 am »
It would be possible on Frostbite, but not Unity 3D

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 07:01:22 pm »
Frostbite is used exclusively by EA, it's not really worth comparing to something like Unity.  Any engine changes would be prohibitively expensive, as they'll need to buy the license and spend the time to learn to effectively use it and then port the game over.  I believe most of the lag problems are on Muse's end and can be fixed given enough time and resources.  They probably will if they eventually meet their stretch goals in subsequent kickstarters.  I don't think larger scale battles are entirely out of the question from a tech standpoint, I think the bigger problem would be managing communications.  Have three fleet commanders on each team to function like metacaptains?

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:13:41 pm »
Also, think of even trying to fill a 96-player lobby. Unless you schedule a match with several clans, it's not happening. It'd be impossible to have a general, casual match there.

Offline Helmic

• Salutes: 35
    • [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:31:56 pm »
That depends entirely on where AM takes Muse.  I think it is very possible for GoI to take off like fucking crazy if they handle AM right, though it's going to be hard because of their previous slip-ups with major bugs and the fact that they're basically changing the genre of an already-existing game.