Author Topic: Alliance Game mode: Titan Hunt  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Naoura

• Salutes: 25
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Alliance Game mode: Titan Hunt
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:17:21 pm »
A game mode where the main objective is to kill a set number of Titan's. Higher the difficulty, the higher the number.

But the twist is lovely for the attackers: Each Titan that spawns has the chance of one of three nerfs:

Engines Down: Boss Ship is no longer able to maneuver, but has full health and active weaponry.
R&R: Boss ship is down 1-2 health bars, but has maneuverability and weapons.
Rearming: Boss ship has maneuverability and full health, but has it's weapons down for 1-2 minutes.

The idea being that, when the Titans spawn in, they are somewhat defenseless aside from a spattering of ads and defenses. The Titans will spawn in dedicated areas, each with a ring of defenses similar to on the Defense game-mode.

Offline Unarmed Civilian

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
Re: Alliance Game mode: Titan Hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 03:02:32 pm »
Reminds me of that event in FTL where you can encounter a version of the boss ship that is still under construction.

Speaking of boss ships, I really want to know its component health numbers. I feel like every encounter's goal is to smack its armor as hard as possible and follow up with explosive spam. I also don't know if the boss ships change strategy or activate new weapons or what in each phase. I'm going to ask the devs about that next time I see them.

FTL also had events with enemy anti-ship batteries (like attempting to fight the rebel fleet directly), though I believe the boss was never paired with them due to the sheer amount of time it takes to kill a boss even assuming the fight is completely one-sided. Here, one would have to take down the anti-ship guns before the boss for similar reasons.

As for this idea, 1-2 minutes for rearming is absurd. You can kill a boss in under a minute under its normal spam conditions. Same condition here, assuming you can deal with the other defenses. On the flip side, if it takes a while to break into the defenses, you now have a full-power boss to fight, and many of them. A more reasonable middle-ground is a boss missing some of its weapons (like the frontal heavy gun) and some of its health, but guarded by anti-ship guns (making it seem like a shipyard where the boss ships are constructed).

FTL's version was a boss ship that was down a few shield levels, had less than half the hp of the final boss, lacked one or two weapons (ion spammer was gone, I think), and lacked the ridiculous boss abilities (drone spam, laser spam, instantly regenerate 4 layer Zoltan shield). The defenses for it were the fact that you were flying in a rebel-controlled sector (shops very rare, benign beacons almost non-existant, combat encounters very common).

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 03:17:13 pm »
I think Boss ships have their weapons active at all times, It's jsut range that's the issue. So many flamers are on board, especially near the tail section...

I can agree to it being a little bit too long... maybe just 1 minute? I was saying 2 minutes due to having to find where the big bastard would have spawned at, then having to go after him. You'd have to have the time to reach the boss, then engage them, trying to either bypass defenses or carve your way through them. Walls, defensive guns, enemy ships, etc.

I do think that the spawn points for the Titans should be surrounded by those walls. It'd make good, defensive sense, even while it bottles them up, it blocks you out.

Offline Ace of Hawks

• Salutes: 2
    • [⏅]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 09:17:14 pm »
ooooohhhhhhh. Attack on Titan!

Offline Naoura

• [Sass]
    • View Profile