Author Topic: MMR punishment for non tutorial completion  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
MMR punishment for non tutorial completion
« on: November 07, 2016, 04:08:29 pm »
And the lesser your rank on tutorial's test the bigger your mmr reduction.
The lowest being non completion obviously.

Add on top that high mmr needs some kind of incentive to maintain that high mmr. Hell even fighting games have tier and rank system for itself and people actively compete to rank higher than others (no real reward than just bragging rights).

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Re: MMR punishment for non tutorial completion
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:23:01 pm »
Mmr is based heavily on levels, the tutorials give achievements which give xp which gives a few levels, done.

An incentive for high mmr would have to be pretty big to outweigh the current drawbacks - being unable to swap teams more often, having low level players placed on your team more often and then being classed as underdog when it assumes you can carry said players.

Offline Unarmed Civilian

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 04:26:33 pm »
I would greatly enjoy lower mmr to match my terrible piloting ability. I would've tried to avoid leveling up if not for hats.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 08:06:59 pm »
Mmr is based heavily on levels, the tutorials give achievements which give xp which gives a few levels, done.

If that's true then way to flip flop on the idea that levels don't matter. Besides match count and average win rate % is a much better metric.

I mean yeah... vets get screwed over by noobs alot and stackers always get highest win rate (but thats what udog was for-to render wins by such unfair match ups meaningless).

Plus udog, nov wins and other marks of actual skill should drastically contribute to mmr (ignoring achieves like the class and map ones because of their arbitrary nature).

Something besides the clearly flawed lvling system needs to reflect mmr more.

ALSO MAKE MMR CLEARLY VISIBLE. Like have mmr on your profile. It has always come off that muse hiding the numbers  was them showing lack of confidence in the system itself.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 08:11:40 pm by Arturo Sanchez »

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
From what the devs said in a recent fireside stream they looked at the stats and a mix of adjusted win loss and level gave the best accuracy with level weighted highly. A notably good/bad win rate will still adjust mmr up or down from where it assumes it should be based on levels.
So going back to the original point a new player who skips the tutorials then gets to the same level through token xp from lost matches will still have a lower mmr than someone who gets a few levels from the tutorial xp boost with no win or loss record yet.