Author Topic: SCS rules discussions  (Read 16887 times)

Offline HelFyre

• Salutes: 7
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: SCS rules discussions
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 08:17:56 pm »
Regarding ship swapping prior to the lock, I'll try to explain clearly:

What generally happens in lobby is teams swap ships and weapons back and forth till they're satisfied that they at least have a decent chance, they might settle for something slightly out of their favour, this all depends on the 'meta', and also how their opponents compare.
Then selecting prior to the lock (say 10 seconds before, or some time period that doesn't allow a decently thought out response by the opposition), is the cause of our (your) concern. There are four main cases where this may occur.
  • The pilot that changes realises that they in fact don't have as good a chance as they originally expected resulting in a late change
  • The teams keep changing their ships/weapons in turn, both teams not satisfied after each pass of changes
  • The team that changes doesn't realise that it's not polite to do so at such a late point, and changes, since they've forgotten about the existence of the enemy team
  • A team intends to use this as a 'sly' tactic to counter the enemy and attempt to vastly improve their chances (in theory, if they're doing this, they're probably bad at the game, but that's relative, I suppose)
The problem you'll encounter with discussing this issue is that any solution would need to appropriately deal with all 4 of these cases, and although there are many solutions in this class, many are unsatisfactory for other reasons. Should we perhaps not consider one of these cases to increase the elements in our solution space? That depends on how important or frequently occurring the case is (Or more precisely, how frequent it will be. If everyone stops playing this game, it won't occur at all, and we won't have any problems here.) Whether or not we should consider cases is another matter, and whilst people will have their opinions on this (as with most things, apparently- so long as they're reminded that its something to consider), for simplicity I'll provide a solution where we prevent all 4 of these cases.

One might notice that a sufficient condition for preventing them, is making a change that always allows the enemy team to respond to a change. I referred to a 'time period that doesn't allow a decently thought out response by the opposition'- this will have a maximum, call it 20 seconds. So we'll use that, and say that if a team changes, the opposition will always have 20 seconds to respond (this can be negotiated via party chat or something). The problem with this is that it allows an infinite lobby time (well, till one of the pilots falls asleep, but that's close enough to infinity).

I believe you're old enough to come to sensible conclusions on the other topics, I just thought I'd give some notion of form to the approach to such concerns.

TL;Dr: Don't bother reading it
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 08:23:16 pm by HelFyre »

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 06:21:10 pm »

What generally happens in lobby is teams swap ships and weapons back and forth till they're satisfied that they at least have a decent chance, they might settle for something slightly out of their favour, this all depends on the 'meta', and also how their opponents compare.

Blind pick solves all this. ;D

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 06:27:11 pm »

Blind pick solves all this. ;D

I actually started writing a post about this.

I think I got the idea from you, Jedi.

The captains choose their ships in a clockwise direction. They get 30 seconds to choose a ship and guns. 10 seconds of buffer time and then the next captain chooses. After the last captain chooses there is a 30 second timer for loadouts to be given to crew and then match start.

It might be interesting but at the same time kinda lame. Iono. Just a thought.

Also, mid match swapping of loadouts is w/e to me. I could care less. I understand the issue with it but it is A) hard to enforce and B) a mechanic of the game. I have personally only swapped "mid match" (during loading screen) because I forgot some shit.

I'm personally all for swapping mid match and wish it were encouraged. I would love to engage a team, win, then re-engage only to find out the captain swapped tools and thus I have to alter my tactics on the fly. I feel that it keeps the match dynamic and at the cost of the team giving up positional advantage (due to having to wait for their captain or crew member to log back in before respawning) or risk being engaged while missing a member (because after each kill the enemy captains can press tab and check for disconnects)

The pause is a silly thing and I feel it should be a gentlemen gesture more than a rule. If you notice, I typically allow people to disengage for a pause without regard to an ongoing engagement or how much time their pause has left.

I forgot what the rest of this thread was about.

P.S why wouldn't all these ships specifically designed for combat have some extra tools and ammo in some sort of storage container?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 06:37:24 pm by Solidusbucket »

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2016, 04:32:58 am »
just checked the forum for the first time in a long time

I'm really surprized that SCS still exist, holy shit.

back when me and velvet started this, it was just to casually play other teams every week, but I see the rules are being debated Again.

I'm not gonna take parts in the discussion, but just know that more rules requires better refs and more tolerant viewers ;)

Hope you manage to run it well Sir Steffen, I have no idea how many times the torch have been passed. But its really cool to see something you created be handed Down to others.