Author Topic: MAPS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2  (Read 35907 times)

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
Re: MAPS Balance Questions and Concerns v1.2
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2013, 11:06:19 pm »
Just a question about "Raid on the Refinery." Why in the bleepity bleep does the red team always spawn on top of the first point?

I've seen it from both blue and red perspective and the first point is almost always D or E where the red teams spawn.

Is this my bad luck or what?

Offline Watchmaker

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 55
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 12:08:09 pm »
The initial point on Crazy King maps is completely random.

Offline Charlemagne Montigue

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:42 pm »
Balance on KOTH maps seems difficult. While I like the idea of moving points, it would slide the map in the favor of maneuverable ships. Sedentary points I think shift the map in favor of heavy ships with heavy guns. I think the best idea might simply be to put a timer on the map, and leaving the points stay where they are. Fast ships would get a bit of an advantage first, being able to get to the points faster and get some points in before the heavies arrive. But once the heavies arrive, they would get the advantage of firepower. Tweak the points to be a smaller area, so that it's not so easy for both ships to camp in a good spot. And you have a recipe for a fairly well balanced game. This may also persuade teams to mix the types of ships up, so that you have a fast ship for early game, and a heavy for mid-late game.

Offline uriak

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2013, 04:44:14 pm »
I'm not too fond of koth right now.

The issue is taking the point is a huge advantage for the team.
So I suggest that while the capping time may stay as long to avoid just sneakily take points (which is an issue mostly on multi/moving point maps, that starting to take it immediately blocks the counter. I'm not sure it's the case right now, as I have lost while reclaiming the point.

Additionaly, the koth situated in the desert leads to rough experience, that's fun for a couple times but not much more. That spot with no place to manoeuver combined with heavy sandstorms makes for an powerless feeling most of the time, which is something you want to avoid generally. (same when your ballon/engines are shot down at infinitum, though this is player made)

Still about Koth maps, I think 5 cp for 4 or 3 ships is not viable. Ideally 3 cp maps for the same number of ships would make more interesting situations .

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2013, 02:37:49 pm »
People complaining about KOTH! My time to shine. The main issue in my opinion is boredom. If one team is a lot better they just hold the point all game. Boring. If they are even matched then it either flip flops or whoever got there first wins. Both boring. The only interesting games are one where the teams are slightly imbalanced and the worse team gets the point first.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 05:13:30 pm »
The roving sand storm in Desert scrap gives an advantage to the attacking team, if they know how to use it. The attackers can ride in just behind the storm they can catch the defenders as they are recovering. Unfortunately any team that has the skill and coordination to pull off such an attack are probably already winning and thus defending the point.

Offline Captain Smollett

• Salutes: 122
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »
All true, though the sandstorm winds up helping the defenders more often then not if you don't kill all three defenders very quickly. 

The sandstorm will pause the combat and allow the dead defenders to make it back an reinforce the defense bringing the attackers back to square one.

What if the storms moved slower or cycled less frequently?  That actually might consistently help the attackers.