Author Topic: Automated vet game  (Read 14479 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Automated vet game
« on: May 14, 2016, 09:29:55 am »
Simple idea.

Just like underdog the game does a check if players are over level 30. If all level 30s are in the lobby. The lobby becomes vet game.
However it only shows up as a vet game on server browse when the game is RUNNING.

As a vet game that lobby while its running is now locked from everyone that is below 30.

And the only time a lobby not running can be a vet game is when one is intentionally made.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Automated vet game
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 09:36:48 am »
I'm okay with this.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 10:03:54 am »
What would you suggest for those above level 30 who make custom games for everyone?

Instantly making a lobby with only level 30+ people a vet game may prevent others from finding games.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 01:10:26 pm »
What would you suggest for those above level 30 who make custom games for everyone?

Instantly making a lobby with only level 30+ people a vet game may prevent others from finding games.

Match maker and the novices' bad habit of appearing at exactly the wrong time makes that entirely impossible man.
The babies outnumber the men in this game.

And clearly you didn't read the suggestion.

You CAN'T create a custom lobby vet game unless its via the current conditions.

It only occurs when a lobby naturally occurs to be all 30+ (which I often see but isn't vet game) and start as a vet game at all 30+ upon match start (and visible as one on lobby browse). Should any babies join before match start. It becomes a normal lobby.

Its not that hard a concept. I'm just suggesting a similar system to how underdog works.

But the core of the issue you're whining about is vet game's existence in the first place (at which point you should be emailing muse for its immediate removal). Its not gonna go away. So might as well use the concept of vet game to create higher quality games.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 01:14:09 pm by Admiral Yi Sun-sin »

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 02:24:53 pm »
The game should detect if everyone is above lvl 30 and mark game as a vet then, but also allow lower level players to join and remove vet game flag from the lobby if they do so. That would be a perfect scenario. With such low player base, vet games mechanic should not force 2 incomplete lobbies instead of 1 full.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 02:28:52 pm »
The game should detect if everyone is above lvl 30 and mark game as a vet then, but also allow lower level players to join and remove vet game flag from the lobby if they do so.

Its literally what I posted on the opening post...

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2016, 07:25:18 am »
Ceres it is clear to me what Mann was asking, and I'm not clear why it wasn't clear to you.

Say myself, Mann and a couple of other folk who are looking to do some teaching create a lobby where we each take an engineering slot on a ship. We open up the lobby to the queue and it is instantly converted to a vet game because everyone in the lobby has 2000+ matches and 45s across the board or is an AI. There are a few solutions to that problem, you could make it a toggle that the lobby creator could disable, you could make the conversion vote based, you could require that the lobby be say 50% full before the conversion happens (this may have been what you actually meant, but with the requirement being all the players).

I'm fine with this idea so long as I can disable it on the lobbies I create. If I get polite and engaged novice crew I like to keep hold of them (it isn't unusual for me to bring them into games where they are the only player with all levels under 30). I'd rather not constantly be one DC away from a lobby conversion if I have the choice.

Offline Huskarr

• Salutes: 29
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2016, 08:06:22 am »
Nano I think Ceres wanted this to only happen with full lobbies, when people can not join any ship anymore. And in all honesty I like this idea.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2016, 09:29:53 am »
Oh my god people... its not complex... literally the third time I'm explaining this.

As SOON AS A LOW LEVEL JOINS THE LOBBY BEFORE MATCH START. The lobby starts as a normal game.
The only time a vet game lobby permanently stays a vet game lobby. Is when a player sets up a vet game via ticking the vet game box.

What I'm talking about is during normal lobbies. Where its NOT a vet game lobby. But should the match start WITH ALL 30+ it starts as a vet game and locks all below 30 from joining WHILE THE GAME IS RUNNING.

UPON MATCH START. UPON MATCH START. The damn lobby becomes a vet game. NOT BEFORE.

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2016, 01:28:58 pm »
wow. 

i do not understand where the confusion is 

i get the idea. i like the idea.

i think your history is causing others to assume you want a system where low levels get auto locked out of the lobby.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 04:33:27 pm »
Its literally what I posted on the opening post...

Oh, I see. You made it so unclear for me, that I thought you meant something different.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 11:13:53 pm »
wow. 

i do not understand where the confusion is 

i get the idea. i like the idea.

i think your history is causing others to assume you want a system where low levels get auto locked out of the lobby.

luckily its not you guys that have to understand. I at least hope muse knows how to read a full post before yammering on.

Offline nanoduckling

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 07:43:04 am »
If one person doesn't understand you, odds are the problem is with them. If lots of folk don't understand you the problem lies elsewhere.

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 08:59:46 am »
If one person doesn't understand you, odds are the problem is with them. If lots of folk don't understand you the problem lies elsewhere.

Three out of the six replies to this topic havent expressed any major struggle with clarity, including me. I'd almost say I'm with solidus actually, the problem that lies elsewhere could relate to the background of the OP.

Offline nanoduckling

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 10:02:09 am »
I'd say a 50% failure rate is pretty high, especially given the high standard some individuals in this conversation are known to impose. As far as the context of the conversation impacting understanding of it, Ceres is at liberty to behave differently. If he did so long term I've little doubt his efforts at communication would be clearer as more benefit of the doubt would be afforded him.