Author Topic: Overwatch Tracer Pose Controversy  (Read 25860 times)

Offline Chernobyl Trash

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
Overwatch Tracer Pose Controversy
« on: March 31, 2016, 11:13:56 am »
Not trying to start a fire but do you think Muse would cave like Blizzard did if someone complained about the female models in Guns of Icarus?
Link for all those who don't know about the subject's title: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167046-Overwatch-Sexy-Tracer-Pose-to-Be-Removed

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Re: Overwatch Tracer Pose Controversy
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 11:45:28 am »
Yes, Muse would defiantly respond if a section of their player base felt a part of their game was offensive. Heck if you send an email to feedback@musegames.com just saying hi a developer would respond with in a day or two. Once I loudly complained that the women in GOI were getting better hat models than the men and a few months later the hats in question were made available for the male character models. I don't think muse would do something so stupid as the over the shoulder butt shot in their game. Their development staff has a fairly even woman to man ratio, and this sort of crap would be call out long before it got to deployment.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:42:08 pm »
Of course they would. This community has a decent number of female players in it. Ones who get harassed just about anytime they open their mouths. The pose isn't an artsy piece, it's geared towards sex appeal. Hence the well defined butt crack. If it wasn't so well defined, it probably wouldn't be much of an issue. This is just a problem of Tracer's character design calling for skin tight pants. Yet frankly, even with skin tights, the butt crack shouldn't be that pronounced. The fabric should be stretching across it. Thus the crack should be partially covered. Likely the character designers wanted that sex appeal in there so they went baby got back all over it.

Blizzard knows Overwatch will likely have a rather large female population. Especially because the female fighters in it are so freaken awesome in design.

Offline Aayra

• Salutes: 44
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 03:08:59 pm »
If I had an ass like that in goio I would play in 3rd person

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 03:31:34 pm »
ugh, that looks like a really uncomfortable wedgie, or maybe it's just body paint.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:36:31 pm by Omniraptor »

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 06:11:30 pm »
What is bad about blizzard inserting some eye candy into the game? Imho people should ask for more, not complain about it.

Offline ZnC

• Salutes: 40
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 06:18:38 pm »

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »
I find it funny, how much I roll my eyes on both the pose itself (especially on hoooow maaatuuuuure it is *cough* *cough*) and people who made all this drama (because it's as much retarded as calling Diablo or Doom "satanic" - only Squirrels can be called "Satanic" *cough* *cough* *coughs blood* (I guess I should see a damned felcher))

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 06:33:25 pm »
Well, I have been asking for this as a new engineer outfit.

Would that balance the scales?

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 06:35:46 pm »
lol, Overwatch, Sharia Edition...

Eye candy all depends on the demographic being sold to. It's fan service but considering how bad fan service can get, Blizzard's is rather tasteful. Tracer as a character is already plenty attractive anyways. Heck she practically sold Overwatch to me when I saw the first video. Love the accent and the style she brings.

However in this incident it seems like Blizzard was already questioning the pose before something was said. If I was on the team, I'd question it because it simply cheapens the character. She comes off as a very spunky fun character, not a pin up doll model. It's like what's her face in Jurassic World running around in high heels. It cheapened that character. However there seems to be this massive high heel fetish group that demands it in everything.

Tracer's character ultimately didn't need a butt crack the size of beggar's canyon, let alone a pose which highlights it. Her being a super model that reeks of sex from every pore is counter to her personality. Course if the game was made in Japan, we'd not only have the butt crack but we'd have characters like this...

I'm sorry but that's just beyond stupid. I feel no sorrow for Kojima being fired. The guy was notorious with ruining characters with fan service. The only consolation is that they didn't make her boobs the size of hindenburgs like they usually do in everything. But then you have the rare reverse where the Japanese writer understands that a character can be sexy without showing skin or making their boobs fly into orbit.

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 07:50:58 pm »
An entire character isn't founded upon open sexuality, therefore they should be a complete nun. There is no middle ground. Happy, bubbly, silly women are clearly incapable of harboring or expressing any sexual tendencies either physically or in speech/action.

In truth, I don't really give a shit. I'm getting Overwatch butt or not, because I'm not buying it for the arse and cleavage; I'm getting it because it looks fun to play. I just think people should care 1000% less. I say sexualise whoever and whatever you like in your creation, be that everyone or no one.  If you feel the balance of who is sexualised and who isn't is tipped unfairly, be more willing to show skin/flirtaciousness/libido in male characters instead of advocating for almost right-wing levels of censorship. Sex appeal is not nearly as horrendous as it is painted. Hell, to generalise that all men act like apes in the presence of an arse and cannot see the person it is attached to, or claim that rival female sexuality from a completely fantastical character drives women out of social groups and hobbies is a hugely sexist proposition, depending on which one you take.

That's the principle of it, the way I see it, and I'm not someone who really cares much for fan service. I find it distracting and often transparent. In games like Mass Effect, for example, it hampers a lot of the more emotional conversations with extremely clear examples of "look at this arse, don't you wanna bend her over and have a tea party on it?" in the camera work/character design during very serious and played-straight moments. That being said, what made the romance of Mass Effect so compelling for many players was actually the characters and personalities of the candidates for it. That's all you'll see the players talk about when being serious about who they chose and why, which, to me, kind of shows most people that absorb themselves in any kind of fantasy setting have the brain juice to disassociate sexualisation from character, or take it as part of the character without it conflicting with anything. Despite my complaints, I respect the rights of Bioware to make the game how they see fit, same with Blizzard, and if they are seeing fit to accept this criticism and change it, so be it. All I can hope is that they considered it and agreed with what was leveled at them, instead of having a company meeting with PR staff that advised them to cave into ideas they did not agree with, because having any kind of artistic expression, no matter how tacky or slight, be dictated by outside people with ideology behind them is a sad precedent.

As for Guns of Icarus? Lol. The character models and cosmetics are not nearly appealing enough for sexualisation anyway. And none of the player avatars actually have a personality, so it's a non-issue. If Muse wanted to release a swimsuit pack, why the hell not? Not that I'd really want that, it'd look stupid.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 07:55:00 pm by Newbluud »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 08:20:09 pm »
This thread is making it very hard to hide the fact that I'm a dirty SJW

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 08:50:12 pm »
This thread is making it very hard to hide the fact that I'm a dirty SJW

Earn that badge, say something that would get you the label ;)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 10:25:41 pm »
Real SJWs are not aware that they are SJWs. You can't fool us.