Author Topic: Sunday testing release notes.  (Read 48287 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday testing release notes.
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2016, 10:07:12 am »
The spire still dies quickly if you even try to flank it!
Its HUGE! easy to HIT and now it wont be able to REACT!

Even in competetive i see people having a hard time using it.
The only time spire shines is when no one aims at it, but its so big you cant miss it.
And because of the heavy guns it will always reveal its position.

Im still suggesting to make the acceleration (not speed) greater, simply due to how that will make the slender but HUGE body able to actually Slip by shots, duck and dive from and into cover. And maybe even make the adjustable speed a necessity for the spire instead of just full-steam every time.
Or go for the safer option of bringing back classic spire armor, or up the health even more (Which i think is ridiculous)

I dont know anymore... These beta patch notes are really blind for us to make sense of where you want the game to go.

oh and hi guys long time no see, my cold dead hand is reaching up for some reason in defense of the spiur
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:08:45 am by Crafeksterty »

Offline Nietzsche's Mustache

• Salutes: 27
    • [IISC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2016, 11:58:28 am »
oh and hi guys long time no see, my cold dead hand is reaching up for some reason in defense of the spiur

Right here with you man! *Fists in the air*

Offline Letus

• Salutes: 34
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2016, 04:32:48 pm »
I'll put up my two cents on the Spire...
It's a floating gun platform.  It's supposed to be able to turn.

I'm all for idea on flanking, but...That's what a Squid is for if you're going to close range a Spire.

The easiest way to kill a spire, in my opinion, was to never try to head on it, or flank it, but have a means to disable it from a distance.
Knock out the balloon, hull, and guns from afar, to say...then rush in for the kill.

The glass cannon can't shoot if the guns are broken...so trying to fight a spire with a Hwatcha Fish?  Heavy Clip it from afar.
Both Engineers can't shoot if they're rebuilding the balloon / hull...

If you're in a close-map, say Paritan or Canyon...well...most people on the Spire look forward...you can use the map to Flank...

I understand the want to make it easier to Flank, but the answer isn't based around brawling on Dunes...making one ship that is already a glass cannon easier to flank reduces ideas for tactical gameplay...

I mean, if we're just gonna get rid of the idea of maybe you should snipe...might as well get rid of those long-range weapons...

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2016, 05:24:56 pm »
The game is very poorly balanced when it comes to long-range combat currently anyway.

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2016, 05:36:55 pm »
The game is very poorly balanced when it comes to long-range combat currently anyway.

Only thing a spire that is easier to Flank would become is the long-range combat.

Basically, turning speed nerf would just nerf the Hwatcha Spire...which would come down to changing build and tactic a bit.
Does the gunner fire a few shots to disable the guns of an attacking ship, if they can?  Do you replace that gunner with a buff engineer?

......really the nerf does nerf gunners more than anything else...why have a gunner when you can have a buff burst engineer who buffs your turners...kinda like now..

Basically, from what I can see, is the aggressive brawling spire would be less commonplace (and part of me says good riddance, the other part shrugs, and a third thinks about batman..)  But if you can get in, and demolish first, repair later...as most of those builds try to go for, then it can still work, basically, the Brawler Spire would still retain it's glass cannon...just the risk v reward increases.  Maybe instead of Three gats...you throw in a mine launcher on one of the sides...maybe not..

Offline DrTentacles

• Salutes: 30
    • [GSR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2016, 06:07:01 pm »
Spire does not work in long-range combat. Its components are too exposed, it's impossible not to hit hull if you are firing in it's vague direction, and it's low armor/decent health combo means you instantly have one person tied in up repairs.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2016, 06:17:49 pm »
I'll put up my two cents on the Spire...
It's a floating gun platform.  It's supposed to be able to turn.

This. Aesthetically and practically, the Spire appears and should function as a slow-moving, sturdy weapons platform that can spin relatively quickly. It should have good armor and hull (I'll leave the numbers up to you), should be able to maneuver up and down relatively well and rotate relatively well, but it should be SLOW! Speed should be its primary weakness, and it should have no particular strength or weakness beyond that.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2016, 06:24:56 pm »
It's the second fastest ship in terms of acceleration
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:55:14 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Letus

• [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2016, 06:42:25 pm »
It's the second fastest ship in the game in terms of acceleration

Doesn't look like it should be, but either way, to make this ship "easier to flank" would be to either reduce the speed...or reduce the turning speed.

Neither answer will sit well here. (Didn't they try to reduce the forward/backwards acceleration a while back...like a year or so ago?)

With a reduced speed, you still keep your ambush capabilities and sniping capabilities, AND insta kill capabilities, but the way you play would be risk over reward.
Do you risk charging in knowing you can overshoot and have a hard time turning?  If you do...the reward can be instant death for either ship...

The big thing it would do is you're going to see 3 engineers on a Spire (which I guess is normal...) one being buff engie with burst rounds on that hwatcha...

And face it, hwatcha has stopped being a gunner's gun for some time now...I don't recall the last time I used heavy clip to snipe out components with hwatcha in ages...just grab burst rounds and go.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2016, 07:32:57 pm »
It's the second fastest ship in terms of acceleration

Doesn't mean it should be. The Spire does not look the part and most likely wasn't designed with that intention. I've heard it was supposed to be a city defense platform. I'm judging based on aesthetics. Similarly, the Squid should not be so resilient, the Mobula shouldn't rise so quickly, etc.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2016, 07:58:48 pm »
The speed buff was an attempt to help balance it. While it didn't help balance it did make it more powerful