Author Topic: Adventure mode- home city?  (Read 28045 times)

Offline Dibujaron

• Salutes: 1
    • View Profile
Adventure mode- home city?
« on: April 26, 2013, 08:40:52 am »
Hey guys. I've been looking around adventure mode and it looks really cool. I thought I'd share some of the things i've uncovered about the various factions and the world, and then you guys can share where you think your "home city" will be and why.

Early in this video (the second topic) is a thorough explanation of the factions and what they are each like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZSd0Ah4CgDg#!

a large map with all the city names and more accurate place names:

and another one with worse names but factions overlaid so we can see who will have power where:

So where will you live? Who will you join? I'll start: I plan to live in the city of Illion, within the Order of Chaladon. I like Chaladon, and I like the fact that Illion is on its own little island, so that's where I'll be, probably.

How about you?

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode- home city?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 09:21:53 am »
I would have to live in Anvala, wouldn't feel right if I didn't align with the Burning Skies RP thread (of which I gotta get back into :P)

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »
I'd want to live in a place where I could make a name for myself and my town- somewhere like Serpent's Point to the northeast, Flyaway to the west, or Iron Island in Wreakreef bay.

Or perhaps be a vagrant that lives in that craterish unnamed city north of Izumi.

Offline Sgt. Spoon

• Salutes: 112
    • [Keno]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:27:40 pm »
Kinforth. Man I'm so digging the republic.

Though it's a bit off, so that's a bummer..

Offline Gato Blanco

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 09:55:32 pm »
Is it me, or is the map a little bit small?  I mean, on the legend, the bar indicates 10 km of space; most towns have about 5-10 km between them, and most maps in game have like 5 km^2 on them.  Basicly, these towns are smushed right between battlefields, where you can see half way across the map.  Boggles me mind

The stability of the region makes little sence with the smallness of the map as well, whats stopping a blitzkreig kind of suprise attack when it takes so little time for ships to mobilise? 

Map size:
Each quadrant is about 60 km long and 50 km wide.  Using the pithagrean theorm, the longest straight line on the map from Fairgar in the Anglean Republic to Bedcomb east of the Guild is about 230km.

A squid moves at ~47m/s at top speed, which equates to  169km/h.  It would take about an hour and 20 minutes to go across the whole map. 

For a galleon, who's top speed is 27 m/s (97km/h), 2 hours and 20 minutes is the time it would take to traverse the whole map.

I guess what I'm saying is that, although the distances between settlements makes sence for ground based habitation in peace time/part of a single nation, based on the current technologies developed since the Icarus, I would expect to see fewer factions, more no-mans-land, or larger distances on the legend.  In my mind, I multiply the distance give on the map by at least 5, to make the Abyssial Gulf almost as big as Lake Erie.

Pardon my meandering rant, I realize that the devs probably will make /have already made the map bigger :p
EDIT, little derps
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 09:57:40 pm by Gato Blanco »

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 11:49:11 pm »
From the latest biweekly update, it seems that each route will be a game map. Presuming the adventure maps will be of a similar scale to the current ones, then yeah, world would be pretty small...

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 10:32:09 am »
Is it me, or is the map a little bit small?  I mean, on the legend, the bar indicates 10 km of space; most towns have about 5-10 km between them, and most maps in game have like 5 km^2 on them.  Basicly, these towns are smushed right between battlefields, where you can see half way across the map.  Boggles me mind

The stability of the region makes little sence with the smallness of the map as well, whats stopping a blitzkreig kind of suprise attack when it takes so little time for ships to mobilise? 

Map size:
Each quadrant is about 60 km long and 50 km wide.  Using the pithagrean theorm, the longest straight line on the map from Fairgar in the Anglean Republic to Bedcomb east of the Guild is about 230km.

A squid moves at ~47m/s at top speed, which equates to  169km/h.  It would take about an hour and 20 minutes to go across the whole map. 

For a galleon, who's top speed is 27 m/s (97km/h), 2 hours and 20 minutes is the time it would take to traverse the whole map.

I guess what I'm saying is that, although the distances between settlements makes sence for ground based habitation in peace time/part of a single nation, based on the current technologies developed since the Icarus, I would expect to see fewer factions, more no-mans-land, or larger distances on the legend.  In my mind, I multiply the distance give on the map by at least 5, to make the Abyssial Gulf almost as big as Lake Erie.

Pardon my meandering rant, I realize that the devs probably will make /have already made the map bigger :p
EDIT, little derps

Well, Irl it would of course, be bigger, but then again, I don't want to spend a week online moving my galleon on an attack run. I think 2 hours is good from one side to the other.

Offline Moo

• Salutes: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 12:29:58 pm »
That's 2 hours for the whole "world"... Trade and navigation wouldn't really be difficult at such scales? But war would, with several factions squashed into that kind of easily-reachable area...

Offline Gato Blanco

• Salutes: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2013, 01:39:06 pm »
I'm not suggesting that we increase the size of the combat maps substantially, just make the world map larger, and make the combat maps just the part of the trip that we see in game.  It just seems a bit odd that the combat map is cannonically wedged right between 2 settlements.  Your galleon would spend the same amount of real time completing the combat map and getting to the next stop, but it would be longer in "in game time"

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:54:54 am »
That's 2 hours for the whole "world"... Trade and navigation wouldn't really be difficult at such scales? But war would, with several factions squashed into that kind of easily-reachable area...

Take Planetside. It takes 20 minutes max to get from 1 side to the other in an airplane.

Offline Clara Skyborn

• Salutes: 48
    • [LFP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 11:44:12 am »
Ignore the scale, it is certainly subject to change. Also, ships moved a lot slower back when this map was made. Kids these days, with your squids and your moonshine, always in such a hurry!

Offline JaceBoojah

• Salutes: 42
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »
I'm going where the ducks fly.

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2013, 05:53:06 pm »
I'm going where the ducks fly.

I see Anavala as being fairly Ducky. They sit back, waiting for their targets to approach, firing on any ships that come into sight, while being pretty impenetrable.

Sounds like the Ducks to me :P

Offline Wazulu

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 39
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 08:03:11 pm »
Anvala is going to be packed. Really, really, packed. I think I'll find somewhere quiet in the Baronies to sit down and, you know, the typical, plot several coup d'etats from. That, or just drink some tea and put my feet up.

Offline Gambrill

• Salutes: 26
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2013, 02:46:17 pm »
As a Sky viking, i reckon the best place for me is the Fjords xD