Author Topic: New Sunday Community Skirmish Rewards  (Read 55496 times)

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: New Sunday Community Skirmish Rewards
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2016, 10:53:55 am »
They could back off, or they could keep tryharding their best to prevent any other team from getting the title.

If everyone gets the title, it's a pretty empty and meaningless title. If only a few people have it, it can be something to take pride in. The Skirmisher title is already pointless before it's been released. The Skirmish Champion is another story. Teams could easily win it, and then sit back and let other teams win it (showing an incredible level of arrogance). This means that less people would participate or try in SCS. I have my title, why bother competing again (or why bother tryharding again)? On the other hand, a few teams could win it, and then keep fighting over every Sunday to prevent as many teams as possible from getting it. This makes the title more valuable in a way, but would also cause the SCS to become increasingly more tryhard competitive.

it is also plausible that everyone participating in "SCS with titles" will start playing ari buccaneers isntead, but hey its just a theory and i dont have to test it because i already gave you the scenario :)

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2016, 11:37:54 am »
The Skirmish Champion is another story. Teams could easily win it, and then sit back and let other teams win it (showing an incredible level of arrogance).

I don't think any team that wins it can do anything to prevent people from thinking that they are arrogant and it is soo nice to hear that a team that participates in an event that just so happens to give titles as reward is automatically associated with tryharding.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2016, 11:59:57 am »
Someone might like it. And that's all what we can say about it. I would recommend to lock this thread to prevent some more unnecessary offtopic flamewars. We all got the announcement.

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2016, 12:24:27 pm »
Someone might like it. And that's all what we can say about it. I would recommend to lock this thread to prevent some more unnecessary offtopic flamewars. We all got the announcement.

Ya, don't do this. I haven't even gotten to state my opinion on the matter due to internet problems (typing this from my phone). Those "flame wars" are really just one guy that the moderators don't seem to be taking action against e.g. censoring obscene language. There's no reason we can't have an intelligent conversation about it.

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2016, 02:57:03 pm »
BlackenedPies: You make a good point there. Title 'Skirmisher' is pretty fitting though and it would be a little bit meaningless if there were no title for winning like T Machine mentioned. Also I'm pretty sure Rydr and Predators are not the only candidates for that title.

KitKatKitty: The problem is that SCS is pretty much the only regular competitive event for the time being, so making it less competitive removes the only regular multi-team practice there is. Especially regarding preparation for the actual tournaments, be it Sky League, Hepheastus or B&B.

Urz: Calling Blood & Brass a failure is excessive. Except for initial organisation issues that were solved, the biggest problem by far was the number of teams playing that made it awfully repetitive. And if teams just don't want to play there's little that can be done about it.

Thomas: Last time I heard 21 was a number greater than 14 and group stages were invented for splitting larger events into manageable chunks.

nhbearit: Would you be so kind to stop insulting intelligent people already... I apologise, but at this point it's just silly.

Really, I don't think titles like that will change much for good or bad, so why not. Thank you guys for initiative.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:00:09 pm by Fynx »

Offline Sliced And Diced

• Salutes: 13
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2016, 03:17:24 pm »
Its like watching children complain about Christmas presents.   Seriously tho there is no point on arguing about tittles, they are completely cosmetic, they are just for show.  SO STOP IT!!!  GO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY affects game-play.  like the flamer being terrible or something.  If you want to improve the competitive scene, you have to expand our tiny community first!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 03:28:36 pm by Sliced And Diced »

Offline nhbearit

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:14 pm »
Borrowed a laptop and a wifi signal just for this community. Right, well, here's my opinion on the matter:

Titles are gaudy. That's about it. I don't like the idea of giving out titles because I don't want to have to see them. Won't use them myself either. Would've greatly preferred paint for my ships or something.

Offline nhbearit

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2016, 07:07:24 pm »
Oh, and given the nature of some of the comments on this thread, I'd like to ask everyone to please review this: http://gunsoficarus.com/community-standards/

It was kinda supposed to help regulate the community and make sure the forum is a safe place to float ideas.

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2016, 08:30:16 pm »
@Skrim: I never said don't test it. I just said this is what might happen. It could be good, it could be bad, it could be neither.

@Dem: I think you're misunderstanding what I was saying. A team that thinks that they have to let other teams win the title is arrogant.

For example, lets pretend your clan wins the first SCS with titles. Then in the next round, they feel the need to sit out and let another clan. That would be arrogant. They'd be assuming that by participating, they're going to win. And the only way to pass on the title is to not participate.

Another fun fact is that the best way to win a tournament (let alone a title) is to tryhard. If people want the champion title, they're very likely going to have to try hard. That's just how tournaments work. Prizes just give players move motivation to win, encouraging them to try harder (you're keeping up, right?). SCS hasn't had prizes before and didn't have much to encourage teams to win, so it has generally been a relatively tryhard free environment.

Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2016, 11:03:34 pm »
Alright people.

I've gotten quite a few reports from this thread. Let's keep the conversations civil, we are looking into each of these reports so don't worry for those that are. We've had two moderators already drop in to so I'm going to repeat what they have said already: Keep this thread constructive and on-topic.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2016, 12:10:22 am »
Quote from: Sliced And Diced
like the flamer being terrible or something.

The flame is the most balanced it's ever been. In the "nerf" they removed the broken feature of full penetration and buffed it by 22.2%. I refused to use it before but it's so good and fair now that I use it on 3 loadouts

Quote from: Ayetach
Keep this thread constructive and on-topic.

I was wrong and in the wrong mindset. Most aren't gonna use the title and it doesn't really matter what it is. "Skirmisher" is simple and fitting, and although I know there's a better alternative, I have nothing perfect to replace it. I don't agree with everything but that's the end. To clarify my point one last time: I wish people would use the participation title

It was disconcerting to see people attack Bearit because he didn't even say anything. I was the one spouting vitriol, he just asked a couple questions and people jumped to assumptions
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 12:40:12 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile

Offline -Anakin-

• Salutes: 47
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2016, 08:31:05 am »
I feel "skirmisher" should be awarded for a single match victory in the SCS at any point in the bracket, rather than just awarded for participation.

This would keep the barrier for obtaining it relatively low while still rewarding teams for playing well and make the title actually mean something.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2016, 08:55:50 am »
@Dem: I think you're misunderstanding what I was saying. A team that thinks that they have to let other teams win the title is arrogant.

For example, lets pretend your clan wins the first SCS with titles. Then in the next round, they feel the need to sit out and let another clan. That would be arrogant. They'd be assuming that by participating, they're going to win. And the only way to pass on the title is to not participate.

That is exactly what I was refering to here
I don't think any team that wins it can do anything to prevent people from thinking that they are arrogant...

If we keep going with your example of my clan winning the first SCS with titles, then what? If we say "we already have the title, now we have no reason to play anymore", people may assume, as you mentioned, "they feel the need to sit out and let another clan win, because they think no other clan, or team, can win the titles with them participating". So my clan, in order to avoid appearing arrogant is now forced to participate in every SCS.

But SCS is not always to be thought of as a super serious competitive event, so teams formed from my clan may be trying some new or just unconventional builds and combinations and then people may assume "they are not trying hard, they may be handicapping themselves on purpose so others can win the titles too" or better yet "they are just giving up so others can win the title too, so arrogant". So not only is my clan forced to participate in every SCS in order to avoid every single member of ours to be accused of being arrogant, we now have to try hard and go super meta on every team we fight, every week, negating the purpose of why, at least I, used the SCS for when participating in it.

And then how to avoid the issue when we don't sign up, because people are busy with life or not everybody wants to play SCS every week? Do we have to write an excuse about why we didn't sign up, so we are not thought of as an arrogant clan?

Do you see now why I think the team that wins the SCS can't prevent people from thinking that they are arrogant? No matter what is going to happen, people will think what they want to think and use even the most abstract reasons as an excuse to think so. Unless you have the one solution that keeps everybody happy, because I would really like to hear that one.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 08:57:24 am by Dementio »

Offline Thomas

• Salutes: 80
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2016, 09:38:48 am »
You could not have titles. B)