Author Topic: Fluid level system or visible MMR  (Read 10079 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Fluid level system or visible MMR
« on: December 25, 2015, 03:45:14 pm »
The lvl system is deceptive.

But apparently muse prides itself on the accuracy of its MMR system.

So why not base lvls on that?

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Fluid level system or visible MMR
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 04:59:20 pm »
Level shows progress.

MMR shows "amount of skill".

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:12:22 pm »
Because then some players would be sad, and Muse don't want anyone sad

Offline nhbearit

• Salutes: 27
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 09:26:35 pm »
MMR is not accurate... I'm sure anyone who actually posts on forums has seen where it falls apart. Muse took a rating system designed for single player games and applied it to GOIO, seemingly without modifying the equations behind the system to work with such a coordination-heavy game. I'm not sure how visible I would like it to be, but for now that's irrelevant.. With MMR as unrepresentative as it is, the current leveling system is better; if only because it doesn't try to pretend to be something it isn't.

P.S. Happy Holidays!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 10:50:37 pm »
Because then some players would be sad, and Muse don't want anyone sad

https://youtu.be/KXOCzB35kFY?t=31s

only appropriate response.

Offline DaOrks

• Salutes: 12
    • [◥ɸ◤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 11:27:10 pm »
I can't recall any game that gave out very obvious numbers on peoples MMR so yer preaching to the quire that is the gaming community.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 09:35:00 am »
I can't recall any game that gave out very obvious numbers on peoples MMR so yer preaching to the quire that is the gaming community.

Any fighting game with online mode.

Mario Kart 7 (and prolly 8)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 10:44:31 am »
*Mario Kart 7 (and prolly 8 )

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 01:47:49 pm »
At least the lobby list is back, screw MMR

Offline Solidusbucket

• Salutes: 93
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 07:18:26 am »
I am inclined to agree, however, team game.

One vs One is easy to create a real true MMR because it is based on the individuals skill.

This game deals with the crew of one ship and the crew of another.

I personally think the entire MMR thing is pointless.

Just go off level or matches.

To me it is like saying they do not trust the expected amount of skill that one acquires from playing a certain amount of rounds. The DMV gives teenagers a license based off of hours they complete driving in America.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 09:53:33 am »

Everytime I see a 45 that is such a joke that they get outsmarted by a novice that does 1 simple thing right over and over.
I suddenly don't want to be associated with lvl 45. Hence why I'm planning to reset again once I finish off these dumb vet games achieves.

One thing is certain. An overhaul in general is overdue. The 1-45 thing was a nice experiment and in some respects was better than the old 15 achievement system (despite nearly every old 15 was a terrifying monster consistently either via community connections or just an outright conviction to grind the hell out of those achieves)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 07:24:20 pm »
I am inclined to agree, however, team game.

One vs One is easy to create a real true MMR because it is based on the individuals skill.

This game deals with the crew of one ship and the crew of another.

I personally think the entire MMR thing is pointless.

Good point is that MMR shouldn't be visible because it's fundamentally flawed in such game as GOIO. I also see Ceresbane's point, that lvl45 doesn't mean much anymore. For me the best would be match count (+perhaps match count with class played, so instead of lvl sth like 2143/749) since I almost always check it anyway and personally I feel that it's the best measurement of 'experience' (not proportional to skill).

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 12:14:01 am »
As it stands the safest option is going by titles as they are a badge of what you earned.

If you remove the levels completely and just go by titles you suddenly get a really good idea of how good the player is. And the player can hide/show off their skill as they see if.

e.g. a miracle thief (to this day I hate that title's sound) proves you've got knowledge of exploiting the system to grind underdog.
or they have the option to just hide themselves by simply using the lower tier tide turner.

Its still in the same vein as old 15 but not so culminatively arbitrary as grind x achieves to lvl up. It's I've done this one thing, check it out.

But yus I definitely want some end game goal for the devs to come up with a carrot and stick system. Do well you earn points, do poorly you are deducted in them.

But no matter what system you can think of becomes circumstantial. e.g. some asshat buff engie can get more exp in the current system from buffs and repairs as opposed to some smart engie with main kit. Plus a good pilot doesn't put their ship at risk so easily.

Its seriously all about a person's personal reputation (as well as their clan's) in the end that defines their skill level. But you can't do that with people, as people can be vindictive and fickle (I mean the guy that has the most applauses doesn't really mean the best player, nor does the guy with the most reports or lack of commendations being the worst).

Hence why I'm going by this title based vein as titles make a player stand out individually. Levels do not. And it emphasises the importance of knowing someone purely by name which is what essentially the playerbase lvling system (our community mmr if you will) is based on.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:24:08 am by Maximillian Jazzhand »