Author Topic: Muse, Please Stop the Youtubing  (Read 28541 times)

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
Re: Muse, Please Stop the Youtubing
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:54 am »
This expectation that vets are just conscripted CAs really gets under my skin, I'm willing to teach sure. It's what my clan is for.
But I DON'T teach the unwilling and I will not be nice to people not nice to me.

I mean look at these devs trying to teach Joe's angry army of morons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snAMl0YU-hU

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2015, 08:15:54 am »
^

why I never became a CA. I'm invested here, but I'm not some GOIO civil servant. I teach those worth teaching.

Offline -Anakin-

• Salutes: 47
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2015, 11:02:31 am »
While I do agree with the idea that videos more accurately showcasing quality gameplay would be better than the confused drivel the youtubers put out, at the same time, nobody actually watches - for example -  the SCS videos. They never even break 50 views.

There's a disconnect here between what we do with the competitive videos we have and what we say we want.

Offline FranckM

• Salutes: 2
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »
If muse wants to keep doing the youtube sale, could they not organize a tournament with one youtuber per ship filled with vets. I could also make them be more competitive if they are against other youtubers and put more effort?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 12:56:01 pm »
Exactly. But muse won't do it. If anyone wants good to come from youtubers then it's your job to help

If everyone emailed the youtubers and invited them to a community tournament with vet players then some will come. If you really wanna make a difference then stop complaining and step up

We know how to set up tournaments and we have persuasive writers. Who's willing to try
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:10:29 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline redria

• Salutes: 136
    • [OVW]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2015, 01:09:54 pm »
While I do agree with the idea that videos more accurately showcasing quality gameplay would be better than the confused drivel the youtubers put out, at the same time, nobody actually watches - for example -  the SCS videos. They never even break 50 views.

There's a disconnect here between what we do with the competitive videos we have and what we say we want.

Part of the problem is the challenge of actually showcasing quality gameplay. How do you create a video that someone can watch and say "This is a skilled team"?

Watching from free-view where you see all ships at once, the pacing is very slow. Watching other e-sports, you can see how quickly people are flipping through different actions in order to pull off high-skill maneuvers. In GoIO piloting, it is really hard to tell as long as the 2 teams are somewhat evenly matched.

Watching from 1 ship perspective, you can see all of the cooldowns and damaged components, so technically you can see all of what is driving each action, which might give you more perspective into the skill involved, but then you are only looking at 1 ship. You don't have enough information to be entertained on a match level.

In a game where 16 people's individual minor decisions and actions have large scale repercussions on the match, but you only have the options of viewing the big picture or a small subset of individuals, how can you create a single video that shows off the skill and foresight implemented by good teams?

Most other esports that I can think of have a very low number of participants, and an easy way to view both the big picture and the minute actions simultaneously.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2015, 02:13:36 pm »
Multiple camera views and/or really good casters.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2015, 02:18:19 pm »
To address Redria's issues:
I think the core of a good quality GOI video would be the Voice chat. If a high functioning Vet team could make a video and a bit more chatty about their actions, people watching it would get a better idea of what the game is about. I am not talking about inane youtuber prattle here:
"I'm fixing the gun"
"we are really F***ing this guy up"
"Why is everything on fire?"

but rather the sort of thing that goes through a vet player's head
"Enemy tracers East of us"
"Squid spotted SSW"
"Don't mark lets be sneaky"
"Burning engines"
"I'll take top deck engines"
"Chem up he has a flamer"
"Get on right guns"
"Shoot out his engines"
"We are 2v1 all hands repair"
"Bring up left guns, we are making a stand"
"Tank the hull, ally ETA 15 seconds"

The down side is that such a video would not get that many views unless one of the bigger you tube channels linked to it or posed it as their own. It is a sort of catch 22 of this game, the community is too small to have you tube instructors like Day9, but the skill level for good play is so high that the average lets play youtuber is still completely out of their depth even if they only spend a few hours learning game mechanics.

Offline Dutch Vanya

• Salutes: 107
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2015, 02:27:43 pm »
The down side is that such a video would not get that many views unless one of the bigger you tube channels linked to it or posed it as their own. It is a sort of catch 22 of this game, the community is too small to have you tube instructors like Day9, but the skill level for good play is so high that the average lets play youtuber is still completely out of their depth even if they only spend a few hours learning game mechanics.
I don't think any youtuber takes the time to learn mechanics, they go straight into it and record their first impression. Time = money.

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2015, 03:30:23 pm »
I've been told to stream gameplay literally hundreds of times while playing GOI. Tell me how to do it, and I'll do it. I am skilled, entertaining, witty, and foul-mouthed. I've taught countless new players how to not suck. I have a webcam, a good microphone, and a decent computer. Enable me and I will spread the gospel that is Guns of Icarus Online. I will be better than the garbage videos put out on YouTube.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2015, 03:42:06 pm »
Do this: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

Use this http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux (has graphical user interface)
or this https://www.ffmpeg.org/ (doesn't have a graphical user interface, but can be more convinient for doing multiple things to one huge file, I guess)
to cut your videos.

If you want to be do some actual (and maybe flashy) editing, Adobe Premiere works, but Adobe is price and I am not experienced enough in video editing to give you good alternitives.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:44:11 pm by Dementio »

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2015, 04:08:11 pm »
Here's a brief intro to setting up OBS for streaming
https://youtu.be/ApZ0Wyo3B50
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:11:34 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2015, 04:34:50 pm »
trying to play well while stating the obvious is ridiculously annoying.

Because you have to decide what 1 thing you want to say when you have several factors in your head already.

I mean a single move is decided after considering several possible outcomes and deciding on what makes most gain and odds. Explaining that single action takes forever and by then you have to make another one.

At mid to low its all very obvious at hi lvl though that kind of commentary is completely unreasonable.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2015, 04:40:14 pm »
Check out the YouTuber called TearOfGrace - especially from, em, like 6 months ago up to today. I like him a lot, and he does quite a good job editing the videos so they are (mostly) quite entertaining.

edit: This as an example

Also, get a fucking microphone and hardware to record speech as well and clear as possible - don't be a bastard like Angry-fucking-Joe, whose videos are yelling DYNAMICS ARE FOR PUSSIES.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:57:36 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2015, 04:50:42 pm »
Judging
I don't think any youtuber takes the time to learn mechanics, they go straight into it and record their first impression. Time = money.

I think Angry Joe and the people Muse pay to advertise their game spend some time getting familiar with the game. However there is a vast hoard of YouTube Star Wannabes who do pointless first impression videos where they curse a lot while flying into mountains. This second group is the problem since their videos will bury anything respectable the community puts out due to Youtube's video recommendation system.