Author Topic: Sky Drifting and Potential Gameplay  (Read 9808 times)

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
Sky Drifting and Potential Gameplay
« on: November 23, 2015, 04:06:27 pm »
I know a long time back there was discussions about strafing controls in GOIO. However that isn't really feasible as the engines don't have pivot mounts.

So I'm playing some Star Citizen and I think...wait a minute, did we ever consider drifting? Star Citizen has a lot because well, its space. You drift all over the place. But I started to consider what GOIO would be if there was more drift added. GOIO has some but what if it had more? Sure there are some bumper boat potential happenings in Paritan, but imagine going full speed in and then turning and just using that power to coast and shoot while coasting. Then just keep adjusting with the turn and pivot around a target but the engines don't bring the ship to a stop right away.

So like a handbrake in the air. Perhaps this is something that could be done in the private hosting mode where we could edit variables and make a slippery mode. But just think of how engagements would change. Might potentially need to up the power in some of the ship engines or it really will be like free willy on ice every time you fly a galleon.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Sky Drifting and Potential Gameplay
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 04:25:01 pm »
Someone suggested a tool for this a while back. I think he called it Greased Balloon. It basically removed all horizontal drag, allowing you to 'drift' around corners without losing any speed. 

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:00:11 pm »
Thats right, it was a tool. I couldn't remember when it was mentioned.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:24:16 pm »
I was thinking about the physics of GOI recently and did indeed wonder why there is no "drifting" (you know, like Tokyo Drift). I'd love to fly on Paritan Rumble, charge full-steam along the side of a building, then take a hard turn and drift around the corner to attack an opponent. The real-world physics make complete sense, but I'm unsure how it would be executed in-game... I mean, a tool makes sense to activate it... but having to replace one of the three current pilot tools in order to drift at all, when any ship should be able to because SCIENCE, seems a little silly. Perhaps just add another hotkey. It would really raise up the skill ceiling of piloting as well  8)

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »
Yeah I'm kinda thinking, just let the ships drift more, don't make it a tool.

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:31:17 am »
Drifting would make the spire so much better, never mind all the potential for other things. I recall the old squid having it, so it is possible. Is Eric open to it, and does muse have the resources for it right now? That's the real question.

• [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 02:25:50 pm »
Nah the old squid literally was able to stop on a dime. It was post 1.1 squid that would require a kero burn in full reverse just to stop forward motion. Course this was all because the engines were horrifically nerfed.

The 1.2 squid had drifting but not in a way that was functional. You couldn't engage the engines and simply stop the drift. They wouldn't respond. I remember going full reverse and still it would drift me into guns or past my intended point. So it was more like a beached whale drift. I remember that was one of my first major complaints. I'd always overshoot a target because I couldn't stop the Squid.

Ideally it would be nice to be able to zero engine drift a ship and then kick in engines when you want to stop or move the ship on.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 02:46:03 pm »
With a combination of kerosene and phoenix claw, you can drift a galleon into a capture point. Novice pilots have a hard enough time controlling these ships. So adding a game dynamic that would force them to plan ahead more is just cruel and unusual punishment. We should lobby to have reduced lateral drag for "Hard" ships like the squid and galleon. That way when a novice over estimates their skill, the resulting disaster will be extra brutal.