Author Topic: Taking the Spyglass as a pilot.  (Read 19614 times)

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 47
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Taking the Spyglass as a pilot.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 03:26:00 pm »
I feel that we might be forgetting that taking the spyglass still means there's two helm tools to use. Still need turning? Then grab the drumstick. Speed? Lube up those engines. Its not a death sentence to take a spyglass.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 10:07:59 pm »
Read your post about spotting in the other thread, Zill.  My argument is that if the gunner sees someone that's out of his gun arc, he should be spyglassing them and the pilot should be turning to engage, or at very least the engineer should spot them while they're engaged.  I think we've hit the agree-to-disagree point, though. 
No amount of skill is going to make you turn faster,
If you start your turn early enough, your ship can be pointed in the right direction at about the same time as a late turn with chicken foot. Good tactics can lessen the need for items that help you run away, as can a good crew.
Yes, but that increases your turn radius, as well.  You can end up spit out from a merge engagement, or having to reduce throttle to make the turn, resulting in increased distance.  It often puts you at a turning circle disadvantage.  Blah blah here's the post about it.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 09:42:38 am »
Read your post about spotting in the other thread, Zill.  My argument is that if the gunner sees someone that's out of his gun arc, he should be spyglassing them and the pilot should be turning to engage, or at very least the engineer should spot them while they're engaged.  I think we've hit the agree-to-disagree point, though

Yea, and to be clear, I'm not telling any of my crew to not spot. That would be rather silly given my value to marked targets. But it's kind of that quick psychological thing where they see I spot them rather quickly and move to other things like loading ammo and repairing. Kind of like how you put guns in a particular place so you can control who's manning it.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 12:56:25 pm »
I still take spyglass can't trust randoms to spot for me and is a must  for squids

Offline N-Sunderland

• Salutes: 281
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 03:37:14 pm »
I still take spyglass can't trust randoms to spot for me and is a must  for squids

But if you're with a crew you know and trust, you won't take it?

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 08:23:42 pm »
Even with a crew I don't trust, I can track ships easily enough with my one good eye to make taking that third captain's tool worthwhile.  Yeah it's a pain in the ass when an unspotted enemy moves underneath my ship but I'd rather have a tool to make it easier to get my guns back on target.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 09:12:54 pm »
After the phoenix claw and the chute/hydrogen, I'm usually up in the air as to what to use. The third tool seems to usually get ignored... I've started using the Spyglass in honor of this thread, and I'm starting to like it.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 09:41:09 pm »
Having both chute and hydrogen and pheonix claw gives you a serious advantage over those that don't, there's always at least one direction you can flee towards where they can't follow you.  Moonshine will let you escape and get back into the fight faster to avoid your teammate getting trapped in a 2v1.  Tar barrel is an ass-mounted hwacha.  Even impact bumpers are going to see more use as that'll let you ram or tank rams better, or drag out engagements with enemy carronades.

There's lots of good choices for all three pilot tool slots, if you find yourself not caring much about that third slot then you need to try the tools out more.  If nothing else, moonshine or kerosene will be more useful in just about any other match.

Offline -Muse- Cullen

• Muse Games
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 10:44:05 pm »
Because of my fly-style, I guess I only need two tools that impact the ship, and the spyglass for the much needed awareness. Don't worry, Helmic, I've tried them all out and know how what works best for me.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2013, 12:09:25 am »
The topic's all about taking the spyglass, don't think you can get away with a simple "it works for me", you gotta be more specific to convince anyone.  Even brand new crew can spot enemies, sometimes without you even telling them.  You're sacrificing a huge portion of your mobility to do someone else's job, a job that isn't so necessary (if YOU can spot the ship, you already see it, from then on it's just a matter of keeping your wits about you).  Spotting is certainly very helpful and crewmembers that spot for you will win matches as that reduces the ship's reaction time considerably, but your reliance on that marker can be considerably reduced with practice in exchange for a significant mechanical bonus, you're getting more DPS and less damage just by keeping your guns in arc and range and fleeing in a direction you won't be followed.

I can see the spyglass being useful for newer captains that can't quite communicate with their crew yet or maybe on ships where you know your crew doesn't speak English and won't spot or POSSIBLY on a sniping ship where there's a chance you're the only one that can see a ship that needs shot at, but for anyone capable of getting those tricky spots in the first place you personally are not going to benefit that much from the marker anyways.  Microphone or text instructions are often faster than the three or four seconds of mad left-clicking it sometimes takes to spot something with a spyglass.

Offline Malarosa Agresti

• Salutes: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 03:51:34 pm »
I used the Spyglass for awhile when I was first starting out and didn't really have a firm grasp on how damn useful the Piloting Equipment was.  My typical setup is Claw/Kerosene or Moonshine/Tar, cause I love quick escapes from bullshit I don't deserve to get away from.

Sometimes when running a anti-balloon build I regret not having the Spyglass, cause the enemy will often pass far beneath you.  I fly with a usual crew that I communicate with, but it's still sometimes frustrating to see a target and not have it spotted.  Still not worth losing another piece of gear, though.