Offline Ayetach

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 77
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Gush
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:50:17 am »
Ohai guys!

I have been hopping on several pub matches keeping a pulse on things with all of you lately and I've been seeing lots of awesome lobbies with experienced players helping out the new guys (and gals).

This, guys, made me want to gush so hard in this post at how awesome the patience and willingness many of you have for passing on your wisdom and I salute all of you for your incredible efforts in the community! And despite events going on to promote this I'm still really pleased at these efforts! You make us proud, keep up the good work!

That's all I wanted to say, clear skies!

~Aye

Offline Yarr Vinny Scarr

• Salutes: 7
    • [♛]
    • View Profile
Re: Gush
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:20:06 pm »
Yay! =)

Offline Piemanlives

• Salutes: 155
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:51:54 pm »
We love you too Ayetach.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 10:46:43 am »
I salute all of you.
I salute all of you.
I salute all of you.

Well, if you insist.  8) *Waits for 76th Salute*

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »
76th was mine, for that post, just fyi :P

Yeah, keep on the good work guys and give me a call when we're back at 400ish so I can play again :P

Offline Atruejedi

• Salutes: 64
    • [❤❤❤]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 08:50:02 pm »
I'm surprised. I logged in just now (9 PM EST Wednesday night) and there are "only" 262 people online. I expected more this week. I assume the deluge begins this weekend with the Polaris Civil War event thing? I thought there would be more people "preparing" during the week for this event, especially considering the game is 50% off... alas, the Great Training Crusade continues and will continue and shall never end! We are the Disciples of Icarus and our mission is perpetual, our suffering unending, and our aim true. TO THE SKIES!

Offline Red-Xiii

• Salutes: 32
    • [-§ɱ-]
    • View Profile
    • Steel Meridian
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:36:58 am »
Its all a matter of perspective and timing.  Quite alot of veteran players have been giving advice from the other side of a stacked game.  This is not one, or two,  or three people.  This is just about every game I played since the most recent sale.   Its ok to give advice.  But to then commence to gat/mortar all noobs before they can execute any kind of maneuver until game end is counter productive.

Its an epidemic.  This is not a normal game.  Requires time, patience, knowledge, of which I think all veterans understand, but are not willing to go the extra mile to actually balance the teams.  Trial by fire is nice in theory, doesnt work for an online game of this nature.

I learned the hardway in Goio.  I have the patience.  Most do not.  Let the noobs breathe.  Join the noob team.  Put some effort in.

I do realize as well everyone may have played a game or two with a novices on their side at some point.  This doesnt absolve responsibility to the community on a day to day basis.  Just my thoughts.  Not trying to peeve anyone off.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:43:08 am by Black Waltz »

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 05:06:41 am »
Since when is it the responsibility for vets to train new players? Vets have a right to enjoy the game just as much as anyone else. Why should they have to sit there training new players just because they are vets? Why is their enjoyment in GOIO forever determined by everyone else just because they are vets? Are they getting paid for it? No. There is a job for the kind of player that wants to do this kind of work, that is called CA status.

I've got no problem training or encouraging people I see potential in and I'm sure others would say the same, but trying to pressure vets to do their time in the coddle factory just because they are vets is lunacy. I've known plenty that would just look at you and say "piss off," then go play something else. Gamers are not going to abide by any social responsibility that you try to impose upon them. They are not here to hold your hand, wipe your ass, or burp you when you've had enough.

So you had to learn the hardway, good news, so did most of us. It is up to us to determine if and when we want to share that knowledge, not other people. If new players want to know, they can ask. Theres text and voice ability in GOIO. All they have to do is speak up. More than likely they'll find a lot of vets willing to talk if they do.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 05:15:31 am »
There is a difference between being new and willing to learn and being a crap player.

If you are new and willing to learn, then veterans will teach and give you advice.
If you are a crap player, no one will help you.

What is a bad player?
A bad player in this instance is a player who joins a multiplayer cooporative game and refuses to do teamwork. He will insist on taking certain roles and not listen to any advice. It is normal for other players to shun such behaviour because it is ruining their own experience in playing the game.

and example is left4dead. You want to play on the hardest difficulty with a few of your pals, but you need 1 more player. some guy joins and you greet him and start the game. the new guy proceeds to go off on his own, disregard all Things connected to team Work and repeatedly die. this isnt fun for the 3 other players and therefore they will not play with the new guy again.

Offline Fynx

• Salutes: 30
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:03 am »
Oh you don't let a new player on your ship unless you have purpose in that or you absolutely need to.

I just love all those clan stacks in 2v2s and especially 3v3s where the other side is being completely annihilated though. And then there's that glory how great those players are, such skill.

For those unaware there was a big fuss about Rydr stacking in some matches long time ago. And that was one hell of a fuss so we've been avoiding stacks since. Now nobody gives a fuck about stacking and most of better clans do that all the time. Well, glorious, you guys are the best.

Aah! Also, cheers Aye!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:16:41 am by Fynx »

Offline Red-Xiii

• Salutes: 32
    • [-§ɱ-]
    • View Profile
    • Steel Meridian
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 06:42:32 pm »
Since when is it the responsibility for vets to train new players? Vets have a right to enjoy the game just as much as anyone else. Why should they have to sit there training new players just because they are vets? Why is their enjoyment in GOIO forever determined by everyone else just because they are vets? Are they getting paid for it?

Are you really enjoying the quick annihilation games?  Lets be honest here.  And the only responsibility Im talking about is for the longevity of the game.....this topic I speak of is really the main reason player base is reduced so fast.  imo.

Gamers are not going to abide by any social responsibility that you try to impose upon them. They are not here to hold your hand, wipe your ass, or burp you when you've had enough.

So you had to learn the hardway, good news, so did most of us. It is up to us to determine if and when we want to share that knowledge, not other people. If new players want to know, they can ask. Theres text and voice ability in GOIO. All they have to do is speak up. More than likely they'll find a lot of vets willing to talk if they do.

Youve hit the nail on the head of the problem.  Gamers are going to do what they want to do.  Being such a small community I guess my expectations are higher for what the veterans should be doing.  The standard should be higher.   I dont think team balancing is wiping ass either.  Its fair play.  More enjoyable.  You can play your way.  And the novices will learn more in that match thus retaining them for the future.  I know you and everyone else understands these concepts.  Just a matter of whos willing. 

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2015, 07:32:04 am »
While your heart is in the right place I don't think you appreciate the frustration many of us experience playing with novices Waltz, nor the constraints some of us operate under.

The standard *are* higher in GoI, and the community generally lives up to them, that is kinda the point of this thread. The community is generally better than most online games with loads of people willing to help. But there is no fix for the human race being full of arrogant jackasses who wont listen.

Sometimes I need to practice with my clan and I want to try out new builds. I can do that in skirmishes, but I need to know first if those builds will work at all, and I either need my clan or other capable people there to help me refine the build. I need the basics worked out before I go using the valuable hour or so I might get every once in a while in an organized skirmish for builds that pass this initial hurdle. Most of them don't work well so I'm already de facto nerfing myself. If I'm doing this with an established group then I need some control over what the support ship is and I need it to be flown reasonably.

I'm not available to train novices when I'm doing this because I'm already training people, myself, my crew, perhaps even my ally, all be it with a collaborative and research focus rather than a 'schools in session' focus.

Next we come to the problem that most novices simply wont listen. I have a reputation for being the guy who instructs our enemies on what they need to do to beat us. No really, if the levels are very different and I've committed to flying with my ally I frequently tell the enemy pilots exactly what the hard counter is to the build we are bringing is. Even when I type precise instructions in chat with detailed strategies and explanations for how to fight us most novices still don't listen. If they wont listen to me when I am telling them exactly how to beat us, I sure as heck am not swapping with them so they can not listen to me as their ally.

There are plenty of vets you'll see in matches that were unbalanced typing 'rematch for scramble' to have the teams more balanced for the next game. Again they are often ignored. And lets be clear, those players doing that are doing community service, 80% of the time your ally will be someone who doesn't listen and at best ensures the game is a straight up fight between you and the other more experienced ship, at worst is a flakfish who goes on a nice sight-seeing trip to the bottom right corner of the map while you get double teamed. You asked if folk enjoy the quick annihilation games? In those games I bring something experimental or silly so I generally enjoy them more than the games where my ally becomes fascinated with a really interesting building in Paritan while I get my ass kicked.

Is the clan stacking really that bad these days Fynx? I mean I know a couple of clans who are fond of it, especially in 3v3, but maybe those players need the practice. They frequently lose if the other team has two decent pilots and crew willing to listen from what I've seen. I actually recommend sticking about in those matches - where matchmaker is desperately searching for the best players it can find you frequently find the best new players in there.

Offline nanoduckling

• Salutes: 116
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 07:51:25 am »
One more thing...
I dont think team balancing is wiping ass either.  Its fair play.  More enjoyable.  You can play your way.

You give me the ability to actually play my way with novices I might contemplate doing this more. As in I pick the loadout and they are fixed, they bring what my ship requires and the game enforces it. They go in the slots I choose. If they don't listen or respond I as captain have a kick option. You make me absolute dictator of my ship and I'm going to be more willing to brave the hoard. But that isn't the GoI way, GoI's philosophy is geared towards collaboration through discussion (which is part of why I like it). This philosophy has a cost though, I'm going to want to test novices to see if they are willing to communicate with me before I invest in them. I don't blame anyone else for sharing this attitude.

Offline Skrimskraw

• Salutes: 160
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2015, 07:56:32 am »
thank God for Vet lobbies