Author Topic: Ship change indicators  (Read 18626 times)

Offline Caprontos

• Salutes: 17
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Ship change indicators
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2015, 12:41:38 pm »
Maybe not un-readied but timer reset would be good, especially useful to those who change ship late just because they're short on time and still learning the ropes, all too often does it pose a problem learner pilots changing last second due to a basic lack of time thanks to the pub "ready up scrub" attitude...

Reason for unready is because otherwise the lobby will start in .. is it 5? secs cause everyone is already readied up.. If half are then 30sec lobby start.. You can't easily reset-the timer and avoid this without unreadying people..

As for player changed due to needing time.. This would only benefit them, as now they have a min more.

Granted it does cause the issue of people trolling with it by constantly changing ships creating an endless lobby... which wouldn't be easily addressed..

Maybe not a default 60 second addition. If there was a change, the Add Time button could become active with an indication that a ship changed. Then it is your choice on whether you need to add time or not. Otherwise, this could be abused quite a bit.

Issue would then be, if its very last sec, do you have enough time left to see the change and click the add time button? Is it worth the effort to put it in, if it can be easily bypassed? Adding any amount of time will cause the same issue of troll guy switching his ship often enough to create an endless lobby..

Maybe a better thought is, you can't switch ships if you ready up.. This way you can easily tell if a ship is able to try to last sec switch. Coupled with the topic idea(which is useful for more then last second switches in general) might be sufficient to spot and deal with last second switches with out more complicated systems..

Another idea is if you last second switch, your ship becomes locked and unreadied and time is reset to 30secs?.. This way you stop the lobby from starting quickly (30 secs is given) only once per ship per lobby and you can no longer switch your ship so you can't try to do it twice in the same lobby..

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2015, 12:44:40 pm »
Maybe not a default 60 second addition. If there was a change, the Add Time button could become active with an indication that a ship changed. Then it is your choice on whether you need to add time or not. Otherwise, this could be abused quite a bit.

This I like.

Edit: I got ninja'd.

Caprontos: Needing to unready to be able to change ship could also work well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 12:52:38 pm by Kamoba »

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 05:38:14 pm »
I don't think it should have a default add time availability, as people could abuse that to stretch lobbies out way too far. What it should do is give an on-screen notification to the enemy captains and ask if they want to add time in response. This notification will only come available if the change is within the thirty second countdown, and should add maybe ten or so seconds to the countdown to they have time to make a decision whether to add time or not.

I'm thinking nothing that can be abused so the lobbies don't eat up yet more of the total time spent in the game, but also something that gives the option to prevent those last-second switches. I really have no respect for players that plan ahead with a last-second switch in mind.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 01:04:50 am »
Summoning Logicalia, your time to shine is now

woo

Offline The Djinn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 19
    • [CA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 09:02:34 am »

Why not just add another "Ready" check for pilots?

Something like this -- Ships are visible only to their associated teams / crews. When the timer runs out, the lobby enters the Finalize stage. The Captain of the first ship on each team picks his ship, and clicks Accept (perhaps put an auto-accept on after 30 seconds). Both first ships are revealed to the enemy crew upon acceptance. The process moves on to the second ship on each team and so on down the line, with each "accepted" ship visible to the enemy team.

This means that there isn't any last-minute changing of ships, and that teams might even have a chance to react to the enemy team.

Thoughts? Maybe not appropriate for Novice games, but it might really be good for Veteran games.

Offline Helios.

• Salutes: 14
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 06:07:55 pm »
ive talked to people about this and i think there is a HUGE oppertunity to prevent counter-picking at the last second: only let your team see what guns are on your ship. let them see you are going goldfish, but dont let them see you are going lumberjack, for example.  when the ships come together its not that hard to look at their ships with a spyglass and report to your captain what sort of junker is begin flown against you. its not rocket science, its rocket SPOTTING, which is more of an art ;)

Offline MightyKeb

• Salutes: 78
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 11:01:55 am »
But there's a problem. It takes less than 10 seconds for you to scope out a ship's weapons with zoom keys unless you give them the ship model without gun hardpoints.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 11:43:36 am »
It takes even less seconds when they try to snipe you with double Hwacha after spawning.

I wouldn't mind that too much though.

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 12:44:39 pm »
It takes even less seconds when they try to snipe you with double Hwacha after spawning.

I wouldn't mind that too much though.

But it takes even less seconds for them to realize that they cant fire the hwacha because they're in the lobby while youre zooming into their ship, which is exactly what i meant

Offline Dementio

• [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 01:27:41 pm »
I guess the guns will just be invisible when you look at the enemy ship during lobby

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2015, 03:16:56 am »
Not sure if it was mentioned by I has a proposition.

Once you press ready, you are locked, you cannot change your ship.

you can add time if necessary but once you press ready, you cannot go back.

That is unless you gain a crew member (Should not apply to those who leave because then the system could be abused)

that will prompt people to think carefully about what to bring.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2015, 09:50:59 pm »
Not sure if it was mentioned by I has a proposition.

Once you press ready, you are locked, you cannot change your ship.

you can add time if necessary but once you press ready, you cannot go back.

That is unless you gain a crew member (Should not apply to those who leave because then the system could be abused)

that will prompt people to think carefully about what to bring.

Then in competetive (and in pubs too, I guess) no one would want to press "ready" first, because it means they are putting themselves in permanent disadvantage, allowing the opponent to counter-pick and making themselves unable to change ship, and I think the point of this thread is to prevent counterpicking...

I guess the guns will just be invisible when you look at the enemy ship during lobby

How about you'd just be unable to see the ship loadout screen? You would just see "Name of the ship" [Type of the ship] in lobby and that's it. I think it's reasonable to let people see only ship types, not loadouts themselves.

Offline MightyKeb

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2015, 05:37:57 am »
I think a better proposition to Mann's idea is simply making it so that while you are able to unready at any time, when you're readied you can't switch ships. It doesn't make sense that you can counterpick while "ready" in this game and an unreadied ship should easily indicate that it's going to change, and not only does this prevent last second switches and confusion among teams but it also practically adds time in pub lobbies.

Offline FranckM

• Salutes: 2
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2015, 04:14:44 pm »

Or show all light gun as harpoon and all heavy guns as minotaur or another gun.