Author Topic: Mine Madness Feedback Wanted.  (Read 15461 times)

Offline -Anakin-

• Salutes: 47
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
Mine Madness Feedback Wanted.
« on: September 27, 2015, 07:11:02 pm »
I've been thinking about a new casual event, what do you guys think? Here's the details:

Clan Clan invites you to participate in their post-SCS Mine Madness games!

• Takes place immediately after the SCS finishes up.
  • All mine ships only (squid & mobula permissible.)
  • Any tools and classes permitted.
  • Single ship sign ups.
  • List your GoIo point of contact for passwords.
  • Games will occur on a capture point map, please do not cap the point.
  • First ship to 6 kills wins.
  • All ships are enemies! Mine ships have no allies.
  • Kills you make should be claimed in chat by your captain for a point to be awarded to your ship.
  • If a ship cannot be mutually decided upon to be awarded the kill, the kill will be skipped.
  • If an odd number of ships sign up, the second to last ship will be requested to swap out with the final ship in the second game.
  • Up to 3 games will run.
  • With more than 7 sign ups, two lobbies will run

Remember this is intended to be a casual wind-down event and declaring a winner accurately is of secondary importance to mining! There will be no refs so we ask captains to help us keep score by claiming any kills you make in chat.

2v2 map: Labyrinth
3v3 maps: Raid, Scrap

Feel free to post any suggestions or comments, this is very much up for debate in format and rules.
Are the rules clear? Are there potential problems here I'm missing?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Mine Madness Feedback Wanted.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:23:35 pm »
Sounds good but I'm skeptical of FFA. We'll have to see how that goes. Flares allowed?

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 07:27:15 pm »
Sounds like fun! Thank god we practised mines today at SCS, will try and get a ship together for it!

Offline Tfaltys

• Salutes: 10
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 08:05:36 pm »
A mine event is definitely something we need, there aren't nearly enough sacrifices made in the name of Phobos these days and I like how this would let us get more out of that time when competitive teams get online and together for the SCS. It also seems like a chance for those teams to socialize in a way you know?

Though I fear the potential of frustration arising when people try to claim victory or somebody loses count while concentrating on the game so it would probably benefit from a ref if somebody was there to do it.. Otherwise since it's really not about the score or winning might as well get rid of point counting and perhaps replace it with a match timer? Then again maybe it wouldn't be an issue in practice, we should try it.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:07:57 pm »
Played one match today after the SCS today. Lot of fun, super laid-back and an all around good time. I hope the interest is enough to make it a regular thing

Offline Byron Cavendish

• Salutes: 89
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 09:59:02 pm »
I will be down for this, especially if it's every ship for itself.

Offline KitKatKitty

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 41
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 01:40:34 am »
Over all I absolutely love the idea!! It's one of the mini-games, Minebulas, we play during the VIP lobbies if we can't get enough player to run a full VIP lobby or if we want general silliness. We only use mobulas with all 5 gun slots mines because we thought running with squids took too long to get mine kills and we do Squid Derby if we want general silliness with squids.

Caution: Watch out for those unintended capturing of the points. They ruin games like this.

My only slight concern, keeping aware that score is secondary, is the no ref part with captains calling out their kills. I don't see an issue as far as trust or anything like that but simply from watching this as a ref in the VIP lobbies, the kill feed can move kills rapidly off the feed and sometimes a captain may not see if it's their ship that made the kill or not...especially if you have multiple ships in one area with possible 5 mine launchers per ship x 4/6 ships x 5 mines per mine launcher that's a lot of mines. Without watching the kill feed I see that this could become a point of tension, regardless of how fun players intend this to be someone gets competitive when scores get close. Not to mention captains having to remember if that was kill number 4 or kill number 5, etc.

So my only suggestion is think about having 1 ref in lobby. That's something, Anakin, you personally can do seeing as it looks like you are aiming for 1 lobby. A simple list of all 4 to 6 ships and a tally system each time they call out their kill but keeping in mine you are watching in case captains couldn't watch the feed fast enough due to watching arcs or watch the approaching mine field.

Also just curious if you are intending to have a time limit?

Offline -Anakin-

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:22:28 am »
A lot of great points there kitkatkitty, thank you. I did take a little inspiration from your VIP events, but I didn't know you ran something similar. A few times after the SCS we've run a mine game and it's always been a lot of fun.

I think that while squids would be harder to kill, they'd also struggle to get their own kills. If they turn out to be a problem I can drop them from the list, but I'd like to try them first.

Regarding the whole ref thing, the problem with the kill feed is if someone scores a kill on someone on their team who's taken damage from someone on the enemy team, that enemy player will be rewarded the kill even if they're on the other side of the map. That doesn't seem fair.

As for reffing myself, the problem is I can't play then! If anyone wants to volunteer to ref/cast that would be fantastic but I'm far too selfish to miss out all the fun. I intended to keep a score tally from the chat while engineering.

I also forsee an issue with two or three different brawls taking place across the map that one ref would be unable to monitor at once. In the game we played yesterday, as soon as ships spawned they turned on each other and it took a while for it all to form into one big fight.

The best compromise I could come up with keeping in mind these three things was for players to claim kills, and restricting that to captains only to prevent confusing chat spam.

I thought about a time limit but I don't have any strong feelings either way. Sniping/camping obviously won't be an issue due to the range of the guns. Perhaps half an hour just in case it runs too long?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:25:01 am by -Anakin- »

Offline -Anakin-

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 04:57:14 am »
Flares allowed?

but if you have flares in gun slots then you have fewer mines :<

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 05:36:55 am »
Flares allowed?

but if you have flares in gun slots then you have fewer mines :<

And less enemies, fps op

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 10:34:46 am »
If you're not using the kill feed who's to say which ship did the most damage. It's a valid tactic to contest kills just to deny them to an opponent. Swooping up kills on damaged ships is the best viable squid strategy. I think you have to use kill feed or it becomes too confusing.

Offline Newbluud

• Salutes: 24
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 12:03:18 pm »
Oooooh, I really like the sound of this business <3 Sadly, post-SCS is very late and I have adulting to do on Monday mornings  :'(

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 04:16:10 pm »
Oooooh, I really like the sound of this business <3 Sadly, post-SCS is very late and I have adulting to do on Monday mornings  :'(

Sadly Clan Clan is American :S

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 05:09:38 pm »
America best country EU

Offline Hunter.

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 23
    • [T.Pr]
    • View Profile
    • My Hummingbird (Anime Website)
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 05:11:55 pm »
America is UK #2, and you know what they say about sequels ;)