Author Topic: Player Weight  (Read 14941 times)

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 13
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Player Weight
« on: July 11, 2015, 04:42:41 am »
Hello!

So a few days ago, I was out sailing ( In real life ) and I had a thought. What if players had weight? You might ask, "What for?" or "Why do players need weight". Say if all crew were on the port side, the boat would tilt to port. This would mean that it would also slightly turn. If the engines are down, you could send 1 gunner to stand on one side, to even it out, making the ship fly straight whilst the engis fix the engine.
This could be used to troll if it had so much of an effect on the ships course, as all three crew could stand at the front, making the nose go down, meaning the captain has to use the balloon to go up constantly so he doesn't crash into the ground.

Just an idea. It might not work, but I like the whole idea of the ship being able to rotate a bit.

( The whole sailing bit was just because you have to use weight on a sailing boat to make sure you don't capsize. )

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: Player Weight
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:44:15 am »
Those poor Junker pilots.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:47:57 am »
An interesting idea, but I'm not for it, not in this game. Broadside ships like the Junker and Galleon would suffer for one thing. Another is that it would probably be a pain for Muse to code and implement, and I would prefer they focus on co-op and adventure mode.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 08:53:09 am »
An interesting idea, but I'm not for it, not in this game. Broadside ships like the Junker and Galleon would suffer for one thing. Another is that it would probably be a pain for Muse to code and implement, and I would prefer they focus on co-op and adventure mode.
I have to agree with you there.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 09:32:55 am »
If ships were to swing around under the balloon it would make ramming, minotaur and harpoons rather interesting. Imagine harpooning the bottom of a spire and pulling it so its guns tip up out of arc.
I think if the game had taken a more "sky is an ocean" approach it would be a must have.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 10:00:14 am »
If ships were to swing around under the balloon it would make ramming, minotaur and harpoons rather interesting. Imagine harpooning the bottom of a spire and pulling it so its guns tip up out of arc.
I think if the game had taken a more "sky is an ocean" approach it would be a must have.
Aye, but the ship pooning might tip over as well! :D I agree though, it isn't really for Goi, more of a sea ships feature than air ships!

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 10:25:49 am »
There's also the "Hollywood" physics of the game. Let's face it, there are maybe three ships in this game that have a snowballs chance in hell to actually fly, Junker, Goldfish, and Squid. The rest would just be scrap on the ground.

Offline greendra

• Community Ambassador
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 10:27:04 am »
There's also the "Hollywood" physics of the game. Let's face it, there are maybe three ships in this game that have a snowballs chance in hell to actually fly, Junker, Goldfish, and Squid. The rest would just be scrap on the ground.
Aye

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 07:09:39 pm »

More like just Junker.

Squid has multiple balloons, and if the bottom parts aren't then there's no way in hell it's gonna fly.

Goldfish's hull is the same size as the balloon, again, no.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 07:12:15 pm »
I think balloon is like 1/4 bigger, but yeah. Hollywood physics.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 08:12:37 pm »
[...] Junker, Goldfish, and Squid. The rest would just be scrap on the ground.

And the Junker would just be scrap in the air, wouldn't it?

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 08:27:44 pm »
[...] Junker, Goldfish, and Squid. The rest would just be scrap on the ground.

And the Junker would just be scrap in the air, wouldn't it?

(•_•)
( •_•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 10:29:21 pm »
The mobula might work if you let it flip over and then harnessed the crew to the bottom with some kind of abseiling rig.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 10:31:39 pm »
The mobula might work if you let it flip over and then harnessed the crew to the bottom with some kind of abseiling rig.
Maybe, but then its practically another ship. Especially in the way it would have to be crewed.

Offline Pomalo D'Estyr

• Salutes: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2015, 01:49:31 am »

I'd love to play on an upside down mobula though =)

I agree that while weight in sailing is interesting, I wouldn't like to see it in game without having more fine tuning about where to put the guns. You could then have real strategies of weight distribution. That seems a bit complicated though...