Author Topic: Novice mode  (Read 14063 times)

Offline Megabear

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
Novice mode
« on: June 19, 2015, 05:19:41 pm »
Is Novice mode not possible once a character hits lvl 8?  Problem is I did not begin piloting until my Engi hit lvl 8 and I'd like some more practice with pilot under the Novice mode because people seem to assume that I'm terrible for being lvl 3.  I'm not sure if it's luck but I've won every time I was a pilot so far and it's quite fun doing the hit and run tactics (or straight up ram + Hwacha) with Goldfish or barraging targets with Spire.  So much destruction.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Novice mode
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:40:30 pm »
As far as I am aware,  once a class reaches level 8, Novice mode is deactivated so sadly, you cannot relive the good old days...

What you can do is, find a teacher.

These are people who are willing to help others to learn and are often very good.

I for example can teach you.

Look for my name in game, add me and PM me as soon as I log on and I can tag along with you as you fly in the skies thus helping you to level up!  :D

The best way to level up is to complete achievements so you can press Q and see what needs to be done in game.

Hope this helps!  :)

Offline Yarr Vinny Scarr

• Salutes: 7
    • [♛]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 05:51:03 pm »
Everybody has to learn the ropes, do not feel guilty for joining the "non-novice" matches even if you'r a lower level. If you show your crew you want to communicate with them, they will see that that you are a serious captain and make the best out of the match.

You can also add me on your friends list, we can fly on each side 8).

Maybe we can form a crew together with The Mann? Getting some matches off the ground

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:53:54 pm »
I cannot actually play right now as I currently have work. If I am online, invite me straight away!

Offline Megabear

• Salutes: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 05:56:21 pm »
Thanks but I'm not looking for a teacher.  I mainly wanted hit lvl 8 with my pilot before I get past the Novice mode so that people don't leave the game just because I'm level 3.  Maneuver is VERY easy compared to other games so it's mainly about knowing the arcs and ranges of guns and the strengths/weaknesses of ships.  Rest is just getting used to it and even the first flight was an overkill.  Thankfully there are plenty of resources posted online that enabled me to do well so far. :)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 06:54:40 pm »
Arcs are easy and a good way to test is in practice mode. Set AI to attack and put flares/mines where you don't want them shooting. For arcs and ranges there's the in game manual and the online wiki.
Bring kerosene, phoenix claw, and hydrogen to start with. Use stamina when your first spawn (about 2/3 to get some speed) and save it to go up, down, or turn. Don't over or under-use stamina and use it to augment tools. Use lots of tools often and never be afraid to burn. #1 pilot mistake is not enough tools.

An important thing is rebinding controls. You can't fly with the default and ideally you need to be able to use the throttle, movement, number, and voice keys simultaneously without overlap. Remap the map and captain spot keys close by as well.
I'd recommend trying mouse buttons as throttle because you need to switch between full forwards and back as fast as possible. My voice chat is shift-ctrl, map C, captain spot F, tab X, and stamina middle mouse. 1234 is Alt mouse3 mouse4 Q, which is excellent for quick tool switching (two side mouse buttons).

I recommend flying with a teacher. Someone who can give suggestions and instruct your crew. It's important that your crew has correct loadouts and know what to do. Sometimes 2 captains is better than 1. The best way to learn is with experienced players.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:07:43 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 03:24:48 pm »
Thanks but I'm not looking for a teacher.  I mainly wanted hit lvl 8 with my pilot before I get past the Novice mode so that people don't leave the game just because I'm level 3.  Maneuver is VERY easy compared to other games so it's mainly about knowing the arcs and ranges of guns and the strengths/weaknesses of ships.  Rest is just getting used to it and even the first flight was an overkill.  Thankfully there are plenty of resources posted online that enabled me to do well so far. :)

Well, you may either find one despite you don't want to, or suffer undeniable torment of finding out how much it's not that easy like I did.

Getting used, yeah, that's important. But you know what is more important?
Game mechanics knowledge, tactics, strategy. Use of terrain. Those you can find out for yourself, and it will be a pain in the ass as mentioned before.

If you want to have benefits from levels, I'll tell you one thing. Go and play many normal matches, get some knowledge - not levels - and after you feel good start as a captain. Morons don't usually check matches played or other levels, so there's possibility you'll avoid a problem of an idiot aboard. ^^ And, what's more, you'll get more knowledge of how things work in this game.

The best way to level up is to complete achievements so you can press Q and see what needs to be done in game.

Yeaaaaah, that's why I look for matches played rather than levels when I see somebody I do not know. When I see a 45 level players with matches below 1k I cringe...

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:05:49 am »
Lesson 1-beat lueosi.

Many never make it past lesson 1.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 04:47:27 pm »
Truthfully, you'll learn absolutely nothing if you learn to pilot in novice mode. Only when you face vet pilots do you learn anything or get better. That is just because novice pilots only succeed in dying foolishly and don't care. They're on a boat that flies! The concept of mastering it is far from their minds.

Honestly they probably should lock down piloting till after a novice has crewed enough to be aware of the vessels. But that would be no fun for people. Piloting is where the most fun is in this game. You just gotta be someone that likes tactics and strategy. If you aren't, you'll rage quit or give up before you ever learn anything.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 03:19:48 am »
Lesson 1-beat lueosi.

Many never make it past lesson 1.

I wish one day, to take such a pilgrimage of piloting.

I have heard many tales of the power of Lueosi and I wish to one day battle such a legend regardless of winning or losing.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 04:15:50 am »
I battled Lueosi few times in the past, either an engineer (nightmare), gunner (horror), pilot (thank God I fought Lueosi before and I knew he's gonna wreck me in no time, cause I'd probably throw my laptop at a wall).

Though I must say I haven't seen Lueosi in game (not pub game at least) for quite some time - maybe because I play less, or what? No idea.

Lueosi seems to be a very patient and concentrated player, and I remember when he put me on his mobula on a banshee; wasn't much bashing on me as I'd expect, more giggles and shit that I can't hit a target from 900m+ with greased. Which still hasn't improved since last 4 months to be honest.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 04:52:15 am »
Lueosi is on vacation, he's not been around due to that.

He is a great player on all accounts, very efficient, and gives incredible feedback to help improve on any task. :)

Cant wait for his return :)

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 08:17:20 am »
I remember fondly my game vs Lueosi. I played my only ever "perfect lumberspire match" as pilot against his mobula. We had a pyra on his side and a squid on ours that thankfully enough provided us some very much needed spots.

I played the whole game as shameful defensive zig zag from the rusty ship to the south east trade winds corner.

The first kill was theirs: the squid moved forward and in a couple of minutes was locked down and ram killed by the pyra. Waiting for the allied spawn while looking at every corner was not a pleasure ride.

The game ended 5-4 for us and we managed to kill that dreaded mobula only once, it is just a level of competence and flight skill i can never hope to attain.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 08:35:05 am »
One match I had against Lue which I do remember fondly.. I had a full TT pyra, Lue had Ryder squid, my ally was a mobula and his ally a Junker... Our allies were very focuses on not killing each other effectively while me and Lue had this head to head, he would fight hit and run and the fight lasted for ages...
When Lue tried to help his ally, I'd already be on his tail, and vica versa so we always ended 1v1!
Our allies killed each other once each while me and Lue fought a great match finishing 5-3 to us.
But the match was sooooo looooooong!!! And it was all brawling! It lasted longer than sniping matches!

And equally I've lost 5-0 and 5-1 against Lue enough times :)

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 06:02:15 pm »
I keep saying that the presence of a full ship Ryder should automatic grant underdog status to the opposing team, no matter how bad their ally is.