Author Topic: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips  (Read 85249 times)

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
Re: The Tip Jar, a collection of community tips
« Reply #75 on: April 19, 2013, 03:04:17 am »
Never extinguish before a repair shot, though.

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:05 am »
Ramming is a valid tactic.

(for all the newbie PUCs that start getting all excited and assume it's just because I don't know what I'm doing*)

*It's true that I may not always know what I'm doing, I am ramming deliberately.

Offline Keon

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 105
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2013, 09:47:57 am »
Ramming is not the only tactic.

Only ram when an enemy has no armor around their hull, or has very very low permahull. With a ram, the goal is to come out on top. That means you need to deal permahull damage to them.

Offline RearAdmiralZill

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 144
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2013, 10:07:58 am »
Ramming can also be used to save an ally via throwing the enemy's arc off. A well placed angle-ram can swivel them off target, making them miss shots or completely lose arc on them.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2013, 01:51:03 pm »
If you as a pilot find yourself in a bad situation like a 2v1 and need to run away, run towards the blind side of the enemy ships first. If you turn away and accelerate it will take you longer to get to full speed than your opponents who just have to accelerate. Where as if you accelerate past them, they will need to turn then accelerate, which will give you a good lead.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2013, 04:41:18 am »
If you as a pilot find yourself in a bad situation like a 2v1 and need to run away, run towards the blind side of the enemy ships first. If you turn away and accelerate it will take you longer to get to full speed than your opponents who just have to accelerate. Where as if you accelerate past them, they will need to turn then accelerate, which will give you a good lead.
Turning does not impose longitudinal drag in GoI like it does in real life.  You will reach your maximum linear speed at the same time.

If you're talking about increasing range, it's more about turn circles than anything.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:43:07 am by Machiavelliest »

Offline Kyren

• Salutes: 80
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2013, 07:46:30 am »
If your balloon is under attack don't use Helium or Chute vent to get out of your enemy's fire arc. The balloon damage and decrease in vertical drag will only kill you faster. Call for help and try to get at least one gun on target. Most Carronade ships will break off an attack once their hull armor is breached.

And if you have a buff hammer, get it on that balloon ASAP.  It's like both hydrogen and a chute vent put together, except it doesn't sacrifice any HP.  Incredibly useful for fighting carronades.

Tough choice. If you're fighting a Carronade Squid, your balloon doesn't go down all that fast. If your engineers can get your balloon up to about half of it's health, you MIGHT be able to raise above the enemy ship using Hydrogen and quickly position yourself over their balloon to give you some time for repairs and counterfire. That requires your ship to be fast though, probably with Kerosene or Moonshine. If you're fighting a Heavy Carronade, this gets even more difficult, but if you know that the enemy Captain doesn't have Hydrogen and isn't expecting any such maneuver, it might work as well.

I wouldn't straight forget about the use of Hydrogen when fighting carronades, it might just throw your enemy off balance to have your ship raising out of a sudden again. If the enemy crew has a competent gunner and captain though, you won't even get a chance for such maneuvers :/ Also, if you're going to do that, check about having two people with spanners at the balloon, because you might easily pop it again when raising.

Offline Helmic

• [NCNS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2013, 04:15:21 pm »
If no one else is calling targets, call targets.  Even if your teammates aren't saying anything, you can still take control of the situation.  Even if you think you suck, your leadership is better than no leadership.  You can get away with just telling your allies to group up and taking out the weakest/nearest target.  If someone isn't listening, call them out and make sure to tell them to press C to use captain chat or K to use team chat, you'd be surprised how often that'll get them talking.

Offline Lord Dick Tim

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 119
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2013, 07:22:48 pm »
I've got several posts in this thread to read through and cherry pick for the first page.  Especially that tid-bit Helmic, thats key.

Offline Machiavelliest

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2013, 10:17:08 pm »
Occasionally look down at the ship if there's a cloud deck below or around you.  Your crew may be trying to tell you something via chat, and the white text can't be seen against clouds.

Don't get offended if someone tells you the hull is down and you're already working on it.  It's better to announce it than to just assume everyone else saw it.

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2013, 09:00:45 am »
Manual tells new players the importance of listening to pilot/captain, the difference between repair and rebuild, and how to spot. That is all I need a new player to know before they join my ship.
woah woah woah... there's a manual? when did that happen?

Offline Cheesy Crackers

• Salutes: 82
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2013, 09:02:02 am »
Ramming is a valid tactic.

(for all the newbie PUCs that start getting all excited and assume it's just because I don't know what I'm doing*)

*It's true that I may not always know what I'm doing, I am ramming deliberately.
Ramming is also a good way to just have random fun with your friends (even though it means mostly dying)

Offline Coldcurse

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 164
    • [TFD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2013, 03:27:58 am »
harpoons are usefull, dont underestimate them.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2013, 06:49:40 am »
Never buff balloons...

Buff me once, get a warning...buff we twice, you're asked to leave...buff me 3x, I throw you off by giving you a living hell of a repair job over and over.

Offline Shinkurex

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 102
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2013, 06:53:58 am »
Never buff balloons...

Buff me once, get a warning...buff we twice, you're asked to leave...buff me 3x, I throw you off by giving you a living hell of a repair job over and over.

Eh.. On my boat it's warn me when you do... if you dont warn me, then the 3 strike method is valid :P