Author Topic: Mine-laying Ships  (Read 28542 times)

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: Mine-laying Ships
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 08:50:30 am »
If youre gonna swap an ammo then swap loch, it's much more useful to keep the intermediate range. Start with all 4 ranges until you're comfortable.

A common mine strategy on junker is to use a longer range side and mine for closer range. For example, the gunner can be on a hades on left side and mine right. A left side merc can also work with lesmok charged heatsink. For my gunner merc mobula the gunner brings charged heatsink loch. Charged for merc, heatsink top left flak, charged/heat/loch for top right mine.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:00:16 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 08:57:05 am »
Meh, full munker is so much more fun. And please, I know how to use loch, I ain't swapping that.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 09:10:39 am »
You're better off with an intermediate ammo when used offensively, loch is purely defensive. You need to stop them before they get that close. Loch is great but slow.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:13:30 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 09:26:29 am »
heres some free practice for you.

if you get too many gunners and they refuse to change class.
Turn into a munker and give everyone on the ship mine ammo sets (if they refuse just roll with it-and tell them during the match that its his own fault for not taking the mine set that helps him shoot the mines).
If they wanna gun. They better gun well. If they don't you will all die.

Many will complain that the mine launcher sucks. But just know that the mine launcher is pretty much one of the most powerful guns in the game and its only failing is the gunner's own skill.

Its pretty much the chimps all using typewriters scenario. Get enough monkeys (game pun intended) to fire mines in the general direction of an enemy. Something will happen.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:37 am »
And that's why I like charged, the drop isn't as harsh as incendiary and it also creates a fair amount of damage. I'm still a full advocate of loch.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:28 am »
It should be noted that its viable to swap incendiary for charged. Charged mines create a lot of damage.

accuracy with mines trumps power.

mines are powerful enough. but guess which side wins in a mine war? the one that has precise control of deployment range.

inci mines arent just for short range either (comboing these are so fun), if you fire straight they drop straight down hitting ship below you.

carronade to pop. inci to hit them as they go down. tis a thing of beauty.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 09:36:18 am »
I KNOW that ceres. I said it was a viable option. And I enjoy a full munker more than some hybrid. In a mining mindset, I care less about winning, and more about how many things can I blow up. I've yet to see a sight more beautiful in GOI, than 200 mines out all at once. It's breathtaking.

Offline Ruairi

• Salutes: 6
    • [ƤƦ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
"Mines" and "Squid" are a harmonious couple made in heaven for daring crews and yet conjured from the enemies hell. I use the term "Muid" to represent such a magnificent pairing. Having said that a Muid is much harder to fly compared to a Munker but it also has additional advantages whilst negating many of the Munkers disadvantages although that's all very hush hush... ;) (Shock and horror to those who thought Munkers were frustrating enough :P *evil laugh*). Albeit Muids are far more unforgiving of poor piloting and mistakes. So on one side we have difficult to master/fly effectively yet on the other we have possibly one of the most annoying/frustrating to fight ships ever flown... But you didn't hear anything from me. Happy flying! >.>

*Muid: A squid that has a front mine launcher and side mine launcher, it doesn't necessarily have a rear one. Just so you know what madness I speak of.*

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 02:21:26 pm »
One of the most important skills to have on a mining ship is knowing when to shoot and when not to shoot. New gunners tend to dump their clip as fast as possible when they spot an enemy. It is not that bad when your gunner unloads their gun while out of range, or before the armor breaks. When they mine plop mines in front of your ship as you attempt to get within range they are negatively contributing to the well being of your ship and team.

A good test of whether a player is mature enough to handle a mine launcher is to observe how they fire a mortar. If they can wait until the target is hull stripped before shooting, they can probably learn how to use mines. If they insist on shooting as often as possible, they lack the maturity of a miner.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 02:42:43 pm »
I don't know if that is maturity, so much as intelligence.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 03:51:28 pm »
Also, general tips/tricks for a mine-centric ship build. Which ship to fly? What loadouts for crew/pilot? What other guns are needed to synergise with mine launchers?

And how do I make sure I don't skim mines on the side of the ship where I am blind as pilot? (Specific to squid)

Pilot tools depends on the ship. The standard loadout kerosene, phoenix claw, and hydro. Hydro lasts 3 seconds so only use it for an instant (on off) and hold up.
Gunners should start off with 4 ammos for 4 ranges: lesmok regular heatsink/incendiary and lochnagar. By using the yellow pipe on the left side of the gun you can estimate where the mine deploys after 3 seconds. Lead targets a lot and place mines around them.
Engineers bring lesmok for offensive mines.

Guns that are synergistic with mines generally have good arcs to easily get all guns in arc. I like pairing with a heavy clip carronade because of similar range and good disable power. Banshee can be quite effective due to excellent arcs and complements the mine's piercing damage. I've seen and paired many guns with mines on the front of a pyra like hades and artemis. Lesmok flamethrower works great if you count it.

Munker is the classic mine ship due to survivability and maneuverability.
Mine pyra was great before the pyra nerf, and it still works.
Mine mobula is fun and my standard gunner mobula includes a close range defensive mine. Mine as the top gun works well with many possible pairings.
Mine squids. Don't hit your mines. I don't recommend 2 mines on squid. One on front and back is plenty.
Your crew should call out any mines that threaten you. Gunner is dedicated spotter.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 06:21:47 pm »
A somewhat overinvolved discussion of mine ammo and mechanics: https://gunsoficarus.com/community/forum/index.php/topic,6478.0.html

Both impact bumpers and drouge chute do -25% impact damage at the cost of 60% thrust, stacking these gives -50% impact and -120% thrust (no engines at all, can't be cancelled out). Since mines do impact (everything) and peircing(armor) damage using 1 or both of these spares your balloon, guns and engines a fair bit of damage.

Mines can be triggered by shooting the mine part or popped by shooting the balloon part, causing them to explode either where they are or when they land (on the ground or if you are lucky/clever an enemy ship).

The blast radius on mines is very large - 60m, for reference a junker is about 40m long.

Dont use lochnagar mines for minefields, they exist only to be placed directly ontop of an enemy. Because of AoE damage mechanics and the -50% AoE of lochnagar they start losing damage at 15m and mines trigger at 20m so the triggering component takes 165% standard mine damage but unless they collide with it at a point where balloon and armor meet every other component will likely take less than 100% and likely 0 (also losing that fire chance).

Taking a rangefinder into the sandbox might help with learning mine ranges. The numbers for range can be found here: http://gunsoficarusonline.wikia.com/wiki/Phobos_Mine_Launcher

It is considered obligatory by some to replace gg with "Hail Phobos" when using mines.

Offline ramjamslam

• CA Mod
    • [SAC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 07:16:26 pm »
For learning how to lay mines precisely where you want them to go, I found this guide by Crafteresky really helpful.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 08:08:42 pm »
It's important to note who you're fighting. Mine ships are best against charging ships and poor against ranged opponents. Your best bet is fighting a gat mortar pyra. Don't put up mines too early or they'll try to stay out of your short max range of 280.

For squid you don't want both front guns as mine launchers for a few reasons. Gunners are great on mines because they can use 4 ranges but engineers can only use 2. This forces you to engage at lesmok or regular range, not optimal for squid. One of the best defenses for squid is staying close to minimize enemy arcs. A good squid at close range can move to avoid arcs faster than the opponent can provide them. Staying at further ranges makes it much easier for them to get arcs and much harder for you to avoid. Having 2 mines increases your own chance of hitting mines which is deadly. Mines aren't guaranteed hits where other weapons are.

For squid I recommend a side carronade, banshee, or flamethrower. More mines isn't more power. The best mine loadouts I've encountered have mixed weapons.

Offline Ruairi

• Salutes: 6
    • [ƤƦ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 02:30:25 am »
For squid you don't want both front guns as mine launchers for a few reasons. Gunners are great on mines because they can use 4 ranges but engineers can only use 2. This forces you to engage at lesmok or regular range, not optimal for squid. One of the best defenses for squid is staying close to minimize enemy arcs. A good squid at close range can move to avoid arcs faster than the opponent can provide them. Staying at further ranges makes it much easier for them to get arcs and much harder for you to avoid. Having 2 mines increases your own chance of hitting mines which is deadly. Mines aren't guaranteed hits where other weapons are.

^ This is the general "food of thought" for most players however I believe this to be wrong from my own flying experiences, below I have listed some pointers which debunk this:

1. You have the fastest ship in the game, with also some great vertical movement.
2. Squids/Muids negate the range weakness of a Munker.
3. The effectiveness of mines rely on how well you can change/maintain certain distances.
4. With a gunner operating the front mine launcher you only need one mine to hit and the engagement is already in your favour providing you aren't flying poorly/badly positioned.
5. Having two mine launchers allows you to get two mines out at different ranges/places. I.e. one in front/above and one behind/below, etc. But also allows for defensive mines if needed. (Sometimes you may find yourself with 2 opponents bearing down on you)
6. When you use a bifecta on a squid you will begin to fly at a slight angle to the enemy ship that is being mined, ergo you are no longer in the flight path of deployed mines.
7. Normal ranged mines are surprisingly easy to get armed at short range when you know a couple of things...
8. Even if you don't hit the enemy they have to be careful where they move, because if they do hit a mine a few things will occur a. they will be knocked off arc to some degree, b. have to repair some damage (Changes with additional mine hits) c. allow you to reposition yourself accordingly, d. in this time you will have another 2-4 mines out.  (This is a snowball effect, and its all downhill from here)

Having said all this, I must reiterate that the "Muid" is much harder to fly than a munker initially. This is because it has an additional learning curve for both the pilot and the miners when compared to a munker/ or any other static/defensive mining ship. But is far more rewarding when mastered. HAIL PHOBOS!!!