Author Topic: My first 4 months of GOIO  (Read 24129 times)

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
Re: My first 4 months of GOIO
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 01:01:39 pm »
Quote from: HamsterIV
One of the main joys I get out of this game is being on a fully optimized ship, where every one is doing their job flawlessly.

Oh hell yes it is. Especially for captain.

When flying with random newbie crews I get told "you are too bossy, lighten up it is just a game" and "you are the best captain we ever had" for doing the exact same thing.

Same here.
Though mostly they rather leave than anything, and then - I feel huge relief to have an AI at last. Cruel? Nay. Cruel are those trolls, or self-entitled bastards who propably never had to cooperate in a team. Which I whole-heartedly HATE.
I'm almost always keen to teach and to learn something new.
But people tend to be idiots. Unfortunatelly.
Unnerving.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 01:24:30 pm »
Two key words are the key to success in this game.
Communication and Co-operation. Just these two things will put a player into a whole new skill level above the players who do not, anything after that is trial and error to maximise efficiency on the roles you play, be it timing the chem cycle or prioritising turning engines over side guns, that all comes from practice and co-operation. :)
If you meet people who are un-willing to communicate or cooperate, it is unfortunate, and comes with the territory of the internet..

Offline sparklerfish

• Salutes: 124
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
    • DJ mixes and original tracks on SoundCloud
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 01:50:03 pm »
Got called a "bossy bitch" for politely suggesting that my teammate not have two gunners, then they proceeded to harass me in PMs until I blocked them.

I really do prefer AI sometimes.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
Got called a "bossy bitch" for politely suggesting that my teammate not have two gunners, then they proceeded to harass me in PMs until I blocked them.

I concur  :(

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 01:54:08 pm »

I think I was in that lobby that day...

Offline Queso

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 126
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 02:29:46 pm »
(Please do report abuse of that nature. Reports are the best way we can find abusive players and react to them.)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 02:37:17 pm »
That sucks Sparklerfish. When people complain about me being bossy it is because I am being bossy. Having a male voice makes getting random crewmates to fall inline easier. I doubt I would be as successful if I sounded like I was 12 or female.

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »
Having obnoxious russian accent and calling people comrade can help.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 03:01:12 pm »
Damn, I leave five minutes to fly a munker and look at this mess  :P

First, thank you very much for the replies :-) Most of the people here has been around for a while so i thought that maybe the point of view of a newbie as myself could be useful. If you make a comparison between the first month and fourth month you will notice as I did how many things changed in my priorities and perception of the game.

for all of the discussion regarding "the silent crew", I actually enjoy it a lot and I thought it was clear. When everybody knows what to do and all you need are brief, precise exchanges of information, it is a beauty to behold. The same goes for chatty ships where you end up talking about European Politics using a spire's loadout as an example.  :o

All in all, my aim regarding tournament and competitive must be seen in light of all the other comments i made here and there. What i want is to see people having fun and striving for perfection, taking advantage of the fluid background of a game that, regardless of inevitable limits and flaws, is a labor of love and a great way for spending online hours.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 03:08:29 pm »

Been there, so many times...well they don't usually harass me in PMs, course I don't give them a chance to. Instant block.

Now I just don't care. Block list, leave them to die. Or use them as bait.

That sucks Sparklerfish. When people complain about me being bossy it is because I am being bossy. Having a male voice makes getting random crewmates to fall inline easier. I doubt I would be as successful if I sounded like I was 12 or female.

A sad reason we don't have many competitive female pilots. Most I see only play with clanmates, not pubs. Which limits the amount of practice and times they can play. Perhaps female players should be able to apply to get some mod kick features. Clear out the scum players real fast.

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 03:58:54 pm »
I definitely got the feeling I would have been treated VERY differently as a male.  Sucks, but I seek to destroy the stereotype by being good at the game, giving reasonable advice, and destroying their obnoxious two-gunner ship of trolls.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 04:06:48 pm »
"Mines, choose mines master!"

Offline sparklerfish

• [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 04:12:34 pm »
"Mines, choose mines master!"

Well, obviously.  ;)

Nothing teaches a lesson better than vigilante mine justice.

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 04:13:58 pm »
Everytime I fly a munker my crew is given a directive, that "if it moves, it's an enemy". :P

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 05:42:49 pm »
On the subject of girls being good at the game...

I've never noticed a difference in performance based on the persons gender and have seen five women go from low level newbies to flying on my ship in competitive games, some of which are either still on a competitive team, or looking to be a comp team.

Maybe the Valkyries comp team needs resurrecting.

Its just a shame so many sexist pigs are around the internet....

As for being back on track....Mag, yes it is nice to see it from a newbies perspective, infact I think Logic should be able to learn a lot from your original post and the post further on to help him with his goals :)