Author Topic: Incendiary Versatility  (Read 15576 times)

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
Incendiary Versatility
« on: June 02, 2015, 10:21:47 pm »
To make incendiary useful on more guns:

Treat every gun as a fire starting weapon with ignition chance 0% (until you load incendiary) and stack size X.

Where X is roughly inverse to the number of hits the gun gets Ex.
-Gattling gun/Heavy carronade - 1 - same as current effect
-Mortar/Light flak - 2
-Heavy flak/Minotaur - 3
-Mercury - 4
-Harpoon - 10 - Because firey spears of death

Based on the way its only current use for the sake of fire starting (and not as a mostly inferior version of greased) is on the mine launcher where it gets its ignition chance applied to a respectable 5 size fire stack.

It would still need a slight buff or for fire supression to change in addition to this.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
Re: Incendiary Versatility
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:56:44 am »
Treat every gun as a fire starting weapon with ignition chance 0% (until you load incendiary) and stack size X.

Where X is roughly inverse to the number of hits the gun gets Ex.

Based on the way its only current use for the sake of fire starting (and not as a mostly inferior version of greased) is on the mine launcher where it gets its ignition chance applied to a respectable 5 size fire stack.

It would still need a slight buff or for fire supression to change in addition to this.

So to make the rounds more versatile, you wish for users to use Incendiary rounds to start ignition purposes and increase incendiary probability for every hit?

Offline Daft Loon

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 05:20:45 am »
The idea is to make the fire starting effect relevant on more guns by giving guns that get fewer ignition chances bigger stacks when they do cause fire. The fact that it is barely viable on the guns that get plenty of chances (gattling, carronades etc) means some kind of general stat buff is probably needed too.

Versatility might have been the wrong word for doing what they allready do in more places.

I think incendiary should be something like reverse heatsink - viable on most guns but not the single best ammo for any, decisive in some situations and useful for adding (compared to heatsinks reducing) pressure on engineers.

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 07:19:24 am »
While I do agree incendiary should be viable on more guns in some way, this is not the way it should be tempered with. It's too complex and fiddly to be a good option for a "buff", there have been a lot better suggestions to this in my opinion.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »
What if we just tone down the downsides.
And let it be an ammo that from default adds fire ignition chance?

Clip Size:   -25%
Ignition Chance:   +20%
Rate of Fire:   -30%
Projectile Speed:   -30%

to

Projectile Speed:   -10%

I dont know what problem that causes other than an ammo better than default resulting in an ammo type good for a gunner.
?

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:01:04 pm »
Keep the speed -30% and I agree it doesn't need rof reduction. That's a good balance.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:04:58 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 05:11:11 pm »
What if we just tone down the downsides.
And let it be an ammo that from default adds fire ignition chance?

Rate of Fire:   -30%
Projectile Speed:   -30%

to

Projectile Speed:   -10%

I dont know what problem that causes other than an ammo better than default resulting in an ammo type good for a gunner.
?

I like the idea, but perhaps this is too much of a change for now. Change rate of fire to -15% or perhaps -10%, put it into DevApp and see how it goes.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 05:43:01 pm »
Good idea Disaster, I told Keyvias. Keep the -30% speed so it has use in arm time guns.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2015, 05:45:06 pm »
I can agree to decreased projectile speed, but upping the rate of fire would be nice.

Offline Daft Loon

• [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 08:06:48 pm »
I agree with a rate of fire increase as far as general buffs go, it'll be a useful choice on gattling, light carronade and maybe others with that. However as far as breadth of use goes it seems like that would buff mostly the guns its already almost effective on.
The opposite could be interesting - an even more severe nerf to rate of fire and clip size and a flat increase to stack size and ignition chance, it would buff it in general and nerf it on the rapid fire guns its currently almost good on.

@Exterminator - Whats so complicated about it. Bigger shots cause bigger fire stacks (it makes sense for 1 merc shot to carry more incendiaries than 1 gattling shot). As far as implementation its just an extension of how they implement fire weapons allready. Ill admit that its a lot of numbers to balance but inverse of hit rate (average rate of fire over entire clip cycle X Blast radius) would give a good starting point from which to nerf the effect on guns that become too powerful with it.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:13:48 pm »
Well if you want weird mechanics, ammount of damage  per shot  could corelate to ignition chance.
But then explosive weapons will be left out.

Raw ignition chance is still better, its just all the downsides to the incendiary that makes you not use it. I mean, why would you.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 08:45:57 pm »
Changing rof to -10% would make incendiary better on lumber and h flak, good on carronades, and useful on gat.

I don't think it's necessary to make incendiary useful on other guns, just effective on the guns it can be useful on. Right now it's only really mine launcher. I'd like to use more incendiary lumber and I'll try it on squid/fish light carronade. Many players wish incendiary gat worked.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:55:36 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 08:47:18 pm »
I'd settle for rate of fire increase

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 10:00:59 pm »
Current incendiary is not even bad on carronades, I would even go to say its pretty good.

Offline BlackenedPies

• [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 12:15:19 am »
It's pretty good but the rof hurts light carro. If rof was increased then it might be comparable to greased. The change would make it good on carros but I don't predict it being OP. Seems fair on the gat too.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 12:20:58 am by BlackenedPies »