Author Topic: "Mute-Everyone-Except-Friends"  (Read 23503 times)

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• Salutes: 9
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
Re: "Mute-Everyone-Except-Friends"
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 06:33:37 pm »
I am against any suggestion that revolves around muting - the current system does the job. This is a game that relies entierly on using your voice to talk, and the reason why match lobbies allows for cross-team chat is to allow for pleasent banter, as a sign of good humor and sportsmanship.
In short, if you have a problem with people talking, then maybe this game is not for you.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 10:04:35 pm »
I am against any suggestion that revolves around muting - the current system does the job. This is a game that relies entierly on using your voice to talk, and the reason why match lobbies allows for cross-team chat is to allow for pleasent banter, as a sign of good humor and sportsmanship.
In short, if you have a problem with people talking, then maybe this game is not for you.

You've completely missed my point. I want this so I don't have to 'permanently' block everyone. I just want a way to temporary block their voicechat because, for instance, they are talking about some random stuff which doesn't allow me to focus on my loadouts/tactics stuff.
But yeah, saying to a guy with 700+ hours played "Maybe this isn't a game for you" :D

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 04:29:58 am »

You obviously never tried being a bloody pilot, thinking strategicaly, and communicate with your crew in lobby filled with some stupid bastards yelling all around.

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 05:14:06 am »
Calming things down and moving back on track somewhat. :)

Maybe just a temporary mute button on the names..
Click the O Button next to X's name and he/she is muted during the lobby timer, once in match the effect would wear off, which if they happened to be on the enemy team, they'd still be silent to you. This would make it a reasonable option to only mute those people being noisy, and wouldn't be too anti-social...
But if you muted the whole enemy team with the click of one button, you'd not be able to un-mute them individually if you wanted to listen to someone say something for whatever reason..

Also this solves the problem of people being blocked permanently for the sake of muting them...

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 05:29:50 am »
Still too much clicking in 4v4 lobby. Also, higher chance of not being able to do ANYTHING because of the noob players yelling "READY UP MOTHERFUCKERS", shortening the bloody timer...

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 06:23:21 am »
Yeah, I get what's being said. But this whole "randomness" aspect is a large part of what makes the game enjoyeble to me. And I can guarantee that many shares this sentiment.
I have been in matches filled with competetive players in pugs sometimes, like when Rydrs decides to just play some quick games. Absolutely no fun nonsense chat is allowed, and five minutes of pure planning and silence is what happens. That's not particulary enjoyeble. I understand that some people wants to be very serious, but that just doesn't go hand in hand with the nature of public groups - those have always had an inherent tolerence for random things and silly chats.
Make some contacts and organize it better, that would probably be a more efficent way to go. Having a captain specific button that mutes everyone but the other captains might be useful, not trying to take that way from anyone. But this is a game that lives by it's chemistry between players.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2015, 08:33:18 am »
Yeah, I get what's being said. But this whole "randomness" aspect is a large part of what makes the game enjoyeble to me. And I can guarantee that many shares this sentiment.
I have been in matches filled with competetive players in pugs sometimes, like when Rydrs decides to just play some quick games. Absolutely no fun nonsense chat is allowed, and five minutes of pure planning and silence is what happens. That's not particulary enjoyeble. I understand that some people wants to be very serious, but that just doesn't go hand in hand with the nature of public groups - those have always had an inherent tolerence for random things and silly chats.
Make some contacts and organize it better, that would probably be a more efficent way to go. Having a captain specific button that mutes everyone but the other captains might be useful, not trying to take that way from anyone. But this is a game that lives by it's chemistry between players.

That 5 minutes silence is normally when the Ryders are having a laugh and banter in mumble chat. :)

Though the guys and girls may come across as silent profession killers, they're all friendly enough.

Offline Dr Brobotnik

• [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2015, 11:22:25 am »

That 5 minutes silence is normally when the Ryders are having a laugh and banter in mumble chat. :)

Though the guys and girls may come across as silent profession killers, they're all friendly enough.
Good to know! They may wanna extend that banter to the rest of us though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 11:24:08 am by Dr Brobotnik »

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2015, 11:45:50 am »
And do you like, for example, listening to russians talking aloud in lobby?

Or anyone you cannot understand?

Yes, I too discovered recently the thing called "privacy", and, what's more, that having it is one of the human rights. Imagine that.

What's pissing me off - all our arguments seem to bounce of your ignorant head, while we TOTALLY understand your point. It's annoying when you explain certain COMMON feelings.

But sometimes - all I need is everyone but people of my interest to shut up.
Imposing your perspective on this game on others is at least rude.

Take no offence, but how this goes is really unnerving for me, and I'm losing my patience.

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 12:48:47 pm »
And do you like, for example, listening to russians talking aloud in lobby?

Or anyone you cannot understand?

Yes, I too discovered recently the thing called "privacy", and, what's more, that having it is one of the human rights. Imagine that.

What's pissing me off - all our arguments seem to bounce of your ignorant head, while we TOTALLY understand your point. It's annoying when you explain certain COMMON feelings.

But sometimes - all I need is everyone but people of my interest to shut up.
Imposing your perspective on this game on others is at least rude.

Take no offence, but how this goes is really unnerving for me, and I'm losing my patience.

Keep hold of your patience Shwalbe, as much as everyone is entitled to privacy, we are all allowed to differ in opinions. :)
Lets keep this constructive and civil everyone. 8)

Besides, its better if differing opinions are voiced as it allows more accurate feedback to be gathered..

So constrictive and on track :)

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2015, 01:15:03 pm »
I'm trying man. ^^

I'm aware of what you are saying, but man, from my point of view Brobotnik is trying to impose us an opinion, that "hurr durr Muse, nerf block, block OP". (in case somebody have doubts - this is a joke)

Probably I'm too tired with all the people not giving a shit about my opinions in any situation that might actually have any impact on my very self. ^_-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:16:35 pm by Schwalbe »

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2015, 01:20:30 pm »
Ah but that's why I mentioned an easy to reach block button, something to fit the mid range, I don't think its Bro trying to impose his opinion, more just let his be heard :)

Back on track, maybe block ship buttons, since most people.tend to ship together maybe that is the mid way path to fast silence without being too harsh on the whole team?

8)

Offline Schwalbe

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2015, 01:28:31 pm »
And I analysed that calmly in my head, and answered what I think about that. ^^

Yeeaaaah, but I feel very uncomfortable, when I try to reason with a person, and the said person just keeps denying what I say without even putting any effort in explaining WHY he does so, only continuing (or repeating) the banter about why the said person is right...

And I totally know what he is talking about, cause I remember the time before introducing the bloody timer, when people in lobby were actually able to have normal conversation. And I liked that. -.- (timer OP, Muse plz nerf)

Now you rarely even have time to think about strategy, check loadouts, and custom your ship - not to even mention telling the ropes to crew.

But, yeah. I'll remember opinion of herr Brobotnik - and if I ever come to lobby where he is, I'll just tell my friends to exclusively stop caring about the fact that most people around here can't say more in Polish than "Kurwa".

Offline Kamoba

• [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2015, 01:49:55 pm »
Ha, I know a fair share of Polish swears, working in UK warehousing teaches the best part of most European languages 8)

Unfortunately Lobbies of Icarus is a thing of the past, and yes it is very difficult to find the time to communicate everything needed to everyone, especially if you have just one guy ruining the lobby, but I guess that adds to the challenge of being a pilot and why there are so few people who are willing to pilot. (Obviously there are lots of people who are willing to steer a ship aimlessly for the lols of it without keeping to any objective, but they're not often the ones who can keep a crew in their command, I am obviously referring to the few pilots who give gunners arcs, chase for the points and play the counter game in the lobby. 8) )

That in itself is a whole other topic though, although relevant enough as being one of the draws backs from the reason why the suggestion was raised in the first place...

We should get back onto track though :)

When I get some time I'll see about condensing this thread down into the most relevant points for feedback and have a natter with a couple of the guys via email, with all the changes in play maybe there is already something on the drawing board related to all this. :)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2015, 02:06:31 pm »
Ha, I know a fair share of Polish swears

We'll see.... we'll see....