Author Topic: "Mute-Everyone-Except-Friends"  (Read 22930 times)

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• Salutes: 135
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
"Mute-Everyone-Except-Friends"
« on: May 31, 2015, 01:23:39 pm »
I saw some video and there's a game that does it as a toogable option. I think some people would really appretiate it.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
Re: "Mute-Everyone-Except-Friends"
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 02:22:06 pm »
No. If you wanna block someone do it manually. There's no reason to pre-block people for no reason and they might need to communicate with you. If crew joined your ship with everyone pre-blocked it would break the game. This is a social game don't be selfish.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 02:29:27 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Hummin

• Salutes: 4
    • [Clan]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 02:47:02 pm »
I actually wish for this pretty frequently in lobbies.  Only I want to be able to mute all but crew or all but team.  It should be off by default but reset on every new lobby join.

The reason is that sometimes other ships are having a lot of fun chatting about random stuff while we are still coordinating.  When this happens, I'll end up blocking half the lobby...

Problem is if I don't get a chance to unblock later.  Now I have a blocklist of about 50 people where there should only be 5 or so, and I don't remember who is who.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 03:03:52 pm »
I just want a 'mute other team' option.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 04:37:52 pm »
No. If you wanna block someone do it manually. There's no reason to pre-block people for no reason and they might need to communicate with you. If crew joined your ship with everyone pre-blocked it would break the game. This is a social game don't be selfish.

Well, I meant for it not to be permanent. It's not block = put people in blocklist, more like block as "voice enable 0" from Counter Strike. Perhaps it could be even somewhere on the surface of the UI. I mean only voicechat block.

Man, we really need Counter Strike like console...

I actually wish for this pretty frequently in lobbies.  Only I want to be able to mute all but crew or all but team.  It should be off by default but reset on every new lobby join.

The reason is that sometimes other ships are having a lot of fun chatting about random stuff while we are still coordinating.  When this happens, I'll end up blocking half the lobby...

Problem is if I don't get a chance to unblock later.  Now I have a blocklist of about 50 people where there should only be 5 or so, and I don't remember who is who.

I just want a 'mute other team' option.

I think this is some compromise. You can still communicate with your team but you can disable some of the chatter.
Make [Mute other team (voicechat)] button and I'll be happy.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 04:40:10 pm »
A mute other team button is a good idea.

Offline GurasOguras

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 30
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 06:44:01 pm »
You know there is option to disable voice chat completely, right? If you're not in the mood to listen how everyone whine just turn it off. Simple.

Offline Hoja Lateralus

• [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 08:01:09 pm »
You know there is option to disable voice chat completely, right? If you're not in the mood to listen how everyone whine just turn it off. Simple.

Yeah, I know, but then I couldn't hear my friends.
I'm still for [Mute other team] button.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 02:10:27 am »

I beg to differ with some people.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 02:25:51 am »
The OP is discussing a lobby mute and I think this would be best implemented by a ship mute. Click a button and the ship is muted. A complimentary option is a toggle to talk only to crew. If ship mute buttons were put in lobby UI, a similar button could be available for your ship to speak only to crew.

The voice icons should differentiate between type of voice chat. For example: colored White for X, Orange for C, Purple for Z (party chat), and Black for crew. I have discussed this with Muse.

A semi-perm mute for anyone not on your friends list is a No.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:58:50 am by BlackenedPies »

Offline Kamoba

• Salutes: 175
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
    • Robin and Magpie Leather
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 04:03:29 am »
I'm going to say I dislike this idea.
Why encourage anti-social mechanics in a game where we want to encourage social behaviours?
Adding such block features just brings us closer to the cess pits like Call of Duty...

At an extreme I would say add a mute button for players, I may not want to block, but their mic is spewing noise pollution, at least this way I can still communicate with them without my sound waves being poisoned and without such saddening ideas as a button which will only encourage anti-social ideals... Someone may not be onnmy.friends list, but by.muting them I'm not giving them.the chance.

Offline DoubleMDownie

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 15
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 04:11:12 am »
I can say that this problem is known and has been talked about a lot. I sent in a email with the idea of team mutes / ship mutes a long time ago and it was given good feedback from the Devs. Its been added to the list of possibilities that's what Matt has told me. But we probably wont see if for awhile but at least we know it's a thing that a good number of us are asking for. ^_^

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 06:28:53 am »
The cess pits of CoD are reasons these features exist, not the cause of.

Offline Schwalbe

• Salutes: 178
    • [ψ꒜]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 07:15:35 am »
I'm going to say I dislike this idea.
Why encourage anti-social mechanics in a game where we want to encourage social behaviours?
Adding such block features just brings us closer to the cess pits like Call of Duty...

This is least anti-social than blocking everyone equally in the lobby, because they give you a hard time concentrating, or making it impossible to communicate with your crew, because even if you blocked the yellers, new players might not know how to do that - been there, seen that.

I'd rather put "mute everyone in the lobby except for people from your ship, and other captains if you are a captain.
And it would last only for the duration of sitting in the lobby.

Because it's really damn distracting when people are talking while you try to give some orders/teach people how to do stuff.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:34 am »
Captain mute option. Allows the captain to mute the other team for his crew for 30 seconds.