Author Topic: What would a fully constructed Leviathan look like?  (Read 44751 times)

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
What would a fully constructed Leviathan look like?
« on: May 19, 2015, 07:52:44 am »
Based on a search for Leviathan on this forum, I thought I would ask through curiosity.

What would a fully constructed Leviathan look like?

obviously, there is a massive crash site on the Dunes but, there is also a massive cannon on the Firnfield. Is there a connection?

What would such a beast look like airborne?

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
Re: What would a fully constructed Leviathan look like?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 09:09:45 am »

It would look like it could destroy the world.

I always found that the thing on Dunes and Dawn are just engines from it.
And you call it Leviathan, but in Lusse's Travels for Desert Scrap it is called "Juggernaut".

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:16:46 am »
And you call it Leviathan, but in Lusse's Travels for Desert Scrap it is called "Juggernaut".

That name is innacurate, though.

It would look like it could destroy the world.

Pretty much.

I always found that the thing on Dunes and Dawn are just engines from it.

Well, the rear pods anyway.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:20:32 am »
it will look like a really big ship with shit loads of dakka.

Unless it has guns on its massive balloons I imagine those things lost by having ships fly high and out of arc and popping that thing.

Unless of course it uses an internal balloon. Where it builds a giant balloon and build the decks around that massive balloon.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:04:17 pm »
By the look of the structures around, I would guess it has internal and external balloons, and at least four massive engines.

Offline Squidslinger Gilder

• Salutes: 287
    • [TBB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 04:44:59 pm »
Zepps had turret mounts all around. They had to, otherwise they'd have lots of blind spots. Judging from the size of the engines, it would likely be somewhere between a helicarrier and a star destroyer in size.

Either way, its a heck of a lot of materials and production time to build it. I forget if it had an origin story but just judging based on the region the remains are found in and the amount of materials needed to fashion it, I'd say its of Yesha origin. That is where all the mining seems to be. Depending on the age of it, it could predate Yesha. There is another possible creator of it who would have been in the area and had the finances + manpower to make it. If it's Nalm or Slyka that made them, then it would raise too many questions as to where they got all the metal for it. Something this big would be a national building project, not a local city.

So, either a Yeshan conquest project that ultimately failed when they reached the Dunes and Nalm/Slyka just tore it apart. Or its from an Empire before Yesha's rise which could have ultimately led to Yesha's founding either by it's defeat or by the fact it merely existed and was a testament to the corruption of the original government. There is talks of a "Yeshan Way" and I can imagine it would have started amongst the low class. Thus seeing a massive airship being built when the funds and effort could be better used for bettering the nation and people, could have potentially led to a coup.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 04:56:09 pm »
Could be pre-war for all we know

Offline QUY

• Salutes: 6
    • [♞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:38 pm »
Thats what i always thought, like one of those massive planes in the prologue trailer   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwvCZ5AzsLI

Offline Jub Jub

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 29
    • [SPQR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 07:18:28 pm »
The Leviathan (until an actual name is decided/announced, I'm going to go ahead and take the small assumption that "Leviathan" in actually the ship's name, because all ships need a name) would of been constructed by one of the Imperial powers during The Great War. From context clues and in-game hints, (and Muse just saying it) we know that the Guns of Icarus universe exists in an alternate history of Earth, post WWI, where there was no Interwar Period. The Great War would of truly been the last great war, as the Earth declines technologically and ecologically do to various reasons (I'm going to go out on a limb and say pollution would of been one of them). This would put The Leviathan right on the tail end of the WWI Naval Arms Race between the emerging European Imperial/Industrial powers at the time; Great Britain, France, Germany, and Russia. Historically this arms race reached its peak with the creation and mass-production of the Dreadnought-class war ships. But, there is no reason to think that had WWI not come to an end, an advancement in military thinking would of never taken place. "Bigger is Better" would of still been the main military mind set. Bigger guns, tanks, ships, zeppelins all would of been top priority for military designers at the time. And the GoI landscape confirms that. Aside from The Leviathan, several large battleships and dreadnoughts litter the ground on most of the maps. Several of these maps, Northern Fjords, Anglean Raiders, and Fight over Firnfield all have massive artillery pieces on them, or in the sky-scape just on the horizon. The important thing to note about all of these, and The Leviathan is that they all appear to have rusted at about the same rate of time, long enough where no base metal is exposed, but not long enough where they would collapse in on themselves.

As for what The Leviathan would have actually looked like, my best guess is that it would of been some form of larger, alternated superstructure of a Dreadnought. In constant war coming up with new designs is a hard thing to do, and many times small (or in this case large) changes in size or other variables are all that is made to try and improve upon something (for a good example of this in action, just look at the USAF F-82 fighter from WWII). Hopefully sometime in the near future with the release of Co-op Mode, Muse will publish a more fleshed out lore/history for their game and this "Leviathan Mystery" can be put to rest.   
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:20:25 pm by Jub Jub »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 07:59:31 pm »
On closer inspection, and taking more context clues, the Juggerviathanauts were not combat vessels. They were cargo vessels. Why so big? The obvious reason is all about them in any map they are wrecked on. They hauled entire naval flotillas. When they were shot down, they spilled their contents into the deserts they were crossing before crashing themselves. Perhaps they dropped the ships first in a last-ditch effort to to stay aloft.

So, they were actually the opposite of aircraft carriers. Instead of being ships that carried aircraft, they were aircraft that carried ships.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:34 pm »
Oh. My. Goodness. Gracious. Great. Balls. Of. Fire.

It makes so much sense!

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 04:16:15 am »
On closer inspection, and taking more context clues, the Juggerviathanauts were not combat vessels. They were cargo vessels. Why so big? The obvious reason is all about them in any map they are wrecked on. They hauled entire naval flotillas. When they were shot down, they spilled their contents into the deserts they were crossing before crashing themselves. Perhaps they dropped the ships first in a last-ditch effort to to stay aloft.

So, they were actually the opposite of aircraft carriers. Instead of being ships that carried aircraft, they were aircraft that carried ships.

This is a  very good assumption, never thought about it as a Cargo Vessel.

I supposed it makes since since you cannot see any visible weapons on the ships.

Offline BdrLineAzn

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 103
    • [MM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 05:41:15 am »
Name wise I believe we had some conversations that the Scrap/Dunes ship is called the Juggernaut and the one on Dawn is called Leviathan. Also wouldn't it be either Nalm or Slkyan made as from the small pre game text before we enter the match in Scrap.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 06:02:33 am »
I think the Lusse's travells entry for desert scrap puts it as being used by Sylka(A medium-large city state i think), my guess is that they got lucky and recovered an almost intact great war ship and repaired it - but not well enough to get it across the dunes to Nalm. The one on duel at dawn is presumably a similar ship crashed during the great war.

As an aside the one on scrap at least has a floor with what looks like expensive carpet - added by the Sylkans to decorate the pride of their fleet?

Also from the size it would have to have a height ceiling several times that of the airships in game to have any hope of navigating anywhere much, maybe failure to reattain this caused the crash into the dunes?

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 08:08:02 am »
As an aside the one on scrap at least has a floor with what looks like expensive carpet - added by the Sylkans to decorate the pride of their fleet?

Going off the earlier "Yesha's Origin" theory, maybe they were simply personal aircraft for super-duper-ultra-mega-giga-important people.

Like Castle Wulfenbach: