Author Topic: Adventure mode wish list  (Read 28923 times)

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode wish list
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 07:18:12 am »
What's the point of of adventure mode if there nothing to gain
If there's nothing to lose

This.  Although I'd fiddle the game so it's rather than outright lose, there's a capped safety net.  It's a brave developer that produces a game you can fail in.

Offline MasX

• Salutes: 26
    • [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2013, 07:20:34 am »
You can't just apply its mechanics to another game

Game designers have been taking other games mechanics for years

Offline MasX

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2013, 07:31:40 am »
What's the point of of adventurers
 mode if there nothing to gain

This.  Although I'd fiddle the game so it's rather than outright lose, there's a capped safety net.  It's a brave developer that produces a game you can fail in.

Fortune favors the brave
What's the point of doing missions if there's nothing to gain
What's the point of pirating enemy factions if it's.not gonna set them back a but
What's the point of playing if I as a player have.no impacted on the world
No emotional connection to the world knowing if I die I still have everything
What's the fun in that

Offline Typhi

• Salutes: 10
    • [TFoD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 08:09:16 am »
What is the point of life?

Seriously what happened to the thing called fun? :p But if you want to go this road, why not make PVE and PVP ships (with different kinds of benefits) and follow the World of Warcraft model. (Repair ships, buy new armor/weapons, etc etc)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 04:00:03 pm »
I hope adventure mode ends up being a geopolitical extension of skirmish mode. I imagine it going like this:

Each day Muse puts out a series of mission that the players can participate in from either side.
Some players with "faction alliances" will always choose a particular side, but for the most part players will be free to join either side.
When enough people are ready a game instance starts with those mission parameters in play.
If nobody joins one side the game becomes a PvE instance with slightly different rules than skirmish.
Each game instance records its results including which faction won in a database.
At the end of the day the faction who has the most victories in the database for a particular mission is declared the victor and the results of that mission's success are propagated to the over all game world.

This is just my speculation, but it seems like the easiest implementation of "Adventure Mode" given what muse has already said about it. Perhaps their stretch goals will involve something more complex.

Offline MasX

• [Gent]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 04:04:52 pm »
That's a kool idea   but with a 100K in kick start money
I hope for some more depth but I could see that being
Added

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 04:19:50 pm »
One thing I have learned about software development is that it will always take longer and cost more than you expected. I hope Muse shoots low, achieves, then shoots slightly higher with the left over funds.

Edit: modified for spelling
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 04:29:38 pm by HamsterIV »

Offline Pickle

• Salutes: 42
    • [AeBr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 04:23:20 pm »
If KS only hits the $100k base target, then HamsterIV has probably struck it on the money.  A very limited implementation compared to a full MMO AM.  But a step in the right direction until a VC takes an interest.

I don't know what the usual last-minute frenzy is on KS (probably substantial), but if we were run a book (now there's an idea ;)) on where the KS appeal ends up, I can't really see it going over the first $150,000 stretch goal at the moment.  And that's more optimistic than I was a week ago.

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 02:48:22 am »
What about a levelling system similar to the current skirmish mode that affords you more strategic influence in your sphere with a merit-based system?

Pickle, you make good points.  I also envisioned the skirmish-esque battles you mentioned.

Offline Kevin of Zhufbar

• Salutes: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2013, 03:04:09 am »
I would hope for free world roaming instead of arena's but I think thats already planned, as well as official clans

Offline MONKEY

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2013, 04:25:21 pm »
Personally I hope it's not just an extension of Skirmish Mode. It would be nice if Adventure Mode was different to just blowing enemy airships, instead it would be nice if adventure mode focused quite a lot on trading and exploration. I think the idea of limited fuel will flesh out the missions; forcing you to make sure you have enough fuel to get from to B and if not how to make necessary detours to refuel. Not sure about ammo though? If it is a free roam world I'd quite like a map and compass to navigate the world? And the idea of sailing to me sounds cool as an alternative to using your engine 24/7? But as others have said earlier on this forum; we can all dream.

Offline Ofiach

• Salutes: 25
    • [FALC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 02:17:37 am »
While all this stuff sounds like "fun" I would really rather have the focus be more towards shipcraft. If I wanted another MMORPG to grind for a few days then get bored with and leave I would do that. However grinding for new ships, weapons, and designs would be fun. I don't know if anyone has played APB: Reloaded, that game only draws me back because of the amazing customization you can do. The level grind in it is negligible but the money grind can be a bit harder and that IMO might be worth looking at.

As far as the ship customization wouldn't it be cool to say take the spire and move the helm to the middle deck with 3 guns up top and the engine and balloon both on the lower deck? OR a squid with 2 forward facing light guns and the helm dead center?
Not to mention entire new chassis to play around with and equip how you want within a weight limit. Different guns will have different weights, including the gun mount and a set ammo weight. I don't believe in capping the ammo unless there's a special HARDCORE mode. Also A weight for fuel and cargo.(it would be assumed you have the correct amount of fuel to get from point A to B) and this could be expanded into a manuevering bonus/penalty. E.G. Max weight for this ship is 3tons .5 tons of cargo, .5 tons of fuel, .5 tons of guns/ammo, look you're 1.5 tons under max weight you get 15% manueverabilty! or something like that.

Other wants are
4 ship CO-OP missions
clan based reputation systems
reputation clothing
player made clan decals to display on ships
PVE ship types with more than 4 crew (being OP is OK when the computer can launch hundreds of enemies at you!)

Some of this stuff is a pipe dream but hey it's fun to dream.

Forgot to mention Clan operated refueling stations.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 02:20:17 am by Ofiach »

Offline Machiavelliest

• Salutes: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 03:33:15 am »
I posted previously in the wrong thread.  If anyone has ever played Pirates of the Spanish Main for NES, this is sort of what I envisioned Adventure Mode being like.

You start out as a person with a ship somewhere in the Caribbean.  You gather a crew, then either purchase goods to sell somewhere the price is higher, or go pirate other ships.  Of course, there's the Dutch, French, Spaniards, and English all in the waters.  Local lords will offer you Letters of Marque--basically, an agreement that if you pirate the ships of the people they're at war with (which changes), they'll give you land and money.

You can also assault and sack towns, once you have a fleet of enough ships.  Disarm their guns, destroy their barracks, and the loot is yours.  Of course, expect the Navy of the owning country to send ships after you as a pirate.  EDIT:  It's a merit-based system; countries you work for (or at least whose enemies you work against) grant you influence, wealth, and military power.  Those you fight against try to kill you.  It also keeps everyone from saying 'I WANNA BE A PIRATE' and just doing their own thing (unless they're good enough to justify it), which sort of destroys the history and ambiance of the world Muse has worked to create.  It also means the PE No. 1 in the world would be damned good at what they do.

The ability to use multiple ships in your fleet is limited by the total crew (whom you have to pay, or else they'll mutiny), and the cargo you carry is limited by weight per ship.  Think that a Squid wouldn't carry a lot of cargo, but would be good for carrying small and valuable items.

I really would like to see some air-to-ground combat; cities defended by heavy and light weapons, troops battling on the ground.  Imagine a giant dirigible dropping stacks of bombs (a la Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2) on enemy troops and gun emplacements.  Right now we just face off against other airships, but it would be very empowering for the player to see just how much destruction a Hwacha volley could wreak on enemy forces on the ground.  It would also bring a welcome level of complexity to PvE where enemy pilot AI would have a tough time keeping up with the talents of the playerbase.

And along with Ofiach, I would like to see a giant Koopa Kruiser-style ship of chained together airships that a large PvE battle is waged against.  Think Independence Day.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 03:35:52 am by Machiavelliest »

Offline Jilliekun

• [TB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 11:40:31 am »
Call me girly but what ever MUSE does is ok EXPECT for the following:

*More music (Depending on empire or map)
          *Sooooo much Cloths! (I don't have NEAR enough outfits)
          *More Hair styles (the option to be a bald guy :P)
          *The option to change body types (let there be chubbys!)

Finally, 1 more (non-cosmetic) idea: On the original GoI, I loved that animation with the guy climbing back on the ship after he fall. That lil thing should be on Adventure mode!  Thats all. ^^

Offline Archriel

• Salutes: 20
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 10:15:42 am »
What's the point of of adventure mode if there nothing to gain
What gonna make this any different then the goi we have now

The world and the lore, I love those unique aspects of the game, I don't disagree with your other points but I'm just saying being able to get deeper into the game itself and become more immersed in the world is a great start alone for me (in terms of it being "different")

I think infinite ammo is required if nothing else to stop people sabotaging your journey with trolling and wasting it, or a poor aim. Regarding that "poor aim" point; that could come from players that are finding the learning curb into "leading" their aim quite steep etc, and having them not QUITE so heavily penalized is a GOOD thing that encourages MORE players to KEEP at it.

Whilst I love the idea of the essence of the game remaining pretty hardcore skill-based, I don't want to see people dropping out simply as they are having too rough a time against those with more experience, the game should follow that beautiful yet hard to pull off credos:

"Simple to learn, difficult to master!"

That's just my 'ickle two pence, I realise I’ve not dealt with many of the other issues at hand, I do have opinions on them but that’s enough for this wall of text.