Author Topic: Underdog System  (Read 45936 times)

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
Re: Underdog System
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2015, 10:20:34 pm »
What? You made even less sense. The problem is people leaving. Barely anyone cares about win/loss ratio. They care about having a fun match and not getting stomped in horrible ways. No one cares about your chieves.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:50 pm »
What? You made even less sense. The problem is people leaving. Barely anyone cares about win/loss ratio. They care about having a fun match and not getting stomped in horrible ways. No one cares about your chieves.

precisely but muse thinks it does. Hence the effect of underdog.

Offline DJ Logicalia

• Salutes: 191
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2015, 11:11:32 pm »

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2015, 11:21:51 pm »

Are you completely clueless on how underdog actually works even though it says exactly what it does by highlighting underdog when it appears in a lobby?

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2015, 11:52:14 pm »
No, he is saying, once again, that you are making no sense. The problem of seeing underdog is a lot of players leave the lobby because it is outright telling them the match is stacked. It does nothing to stop that. Few people will stay just because it does not count if they lose. Anyways, whatever. I am sure it will change.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2015, 11:58:05 pm »
In addition to ship builds you could do crew combinations as well:

Assign bands of matchmaking ranking ex- high,mid,low

For each ship [Captain]+[Crew,Crew,Crew]

example ships - [High Pilot]+[Mid Gunner,Mid Engineer, Low Engineer] or [Low Gunner]+[Low Gunner,Low Gunner,Low Gunner]

Having data from these extra matchmaking rankings could also help them with balancing too.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 12:41:49 am »
If the lobby would tell which team was the underdog, then make suggestions on who could switch teams to balance, THAT would be offering a solution. Even offer achievements for accepting the suggestion, for the chieve hunters.

'Damn fine sort' - accept x Underdog swap requests for players ranked lower than yourself.

Offline Daft Loon

• Salutes: 47
    • [◕_◕]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2015, 02:28:50 am »
'Fratricide' - win x matches after swapping out of a team with x or more friends/clan members

Offline The Sky Wolf

• Salutes: 43
    • [Wolƒ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 03:46:12 am »
The perfect way to measure if someone should become "underdogged" is to:

#1. Compare Matches Played of entire team VS. enemy team (Specifically Captain and Engineers.. Also have chances lower with 2+ gunners/captains/AI)
#2. Compare Win/Loss ratio of the captains
#3. Compare ship/gun use difficulty with the enemy's ships and guns.

It would be a very simple system with  99% accuracy when predicting who will lose or win.

---edit---
I have a better idea ill probably make a separate thread about.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:07:00 am by The Sky Wolf »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 08:02:17 am »
'Fratricide' - win x matches after swapping out of a team with x or more friends/clan members

Haha. That would could be called 'Vile Betrayer' as well.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 08:05:25 am »
No, he is saying, once again, that you are making no sense. The problem of seeing underdog is a lot of players leave the lobby because it is outright telling them the match is stacked. It does nothing to stop that. Few people will stay just because it does not count if they lose. Anyways, whatever. I am sure it will change.

THATS MY POINT.

MUSE THINKS THE LOSS NOT COUNTING BUT WITH A CHANCE FOR AN ACHIEVEMENT IS ENOUGH!

do I have to repeat it 3 more times before you get it?

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2015, 08:29:05 am »
I actually never witnessed a lot of players or even a few that leave after they are displayed as underdog. It might just be me, but it looks like people are either clueless about the "underdog" title above them or they simply don't care and wanna play a match.

I think that this system is actually pretty fun and gives a sense of accomplishment if you win in a "stacked" lobby MMR-wise.
Again, it could be just me, but I think that this whole underdog thing is actually really fun, interesting and in place.

As for how it calculates who is an underdog I am less happy with, I think it can probably be done in a more intelligent manner - but making things like this is extremely tough coding-wise and require tons of time and effort. Muse is doing whatever they can but I think if they get stuck on calculating MMR better it would draw them away from other, more important projects so I am happy with it all.

Offline Mattilald Anguisad

• Community Ambassador
  • Salutes: 12
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2015, 12:23:35 pm »
MMR is calculated as well as possible. Underdog itself is a suspect.

Offline BlackenedPies

• Salutes: 134
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2015, 03:39:54 pm »
Make it hidden until after the match for the underdog team. Visually reward with extra xp and achievements. Lower xp gained for all because leveling is fast enough. It makes sense to be rewarded more for tougher matches. Make each kill worth extra and give visible feedback of accomplishments.

Alternatively: award underdogs faster stamina regeneration. If they are underdog it's probably safe to say they're at a disadvantage. Bonus regen could be at least +25%.

I'm assuming underdog is only available in MM lobbies not custom lobbies.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:55:23 pm by BlackenedPies »

Offline Omniraptor

• Salutes: 51
    • [Duck]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2015, 03:52:10 pm »
The most important thing is to make it hidden for everyone, and only visible after a match. I would not mind faster stamina regeneration either.