Author Topic: The new harpoon  (Read 21243 times)

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
The new harpoon
« on: April 30, 2015, 08:39:43 pm »
Alot of people seem to think the harpoon has been changed for the worse. Did you... not think to pull?
In practice, the harpoon no longer reels or messes up your ship. It does its "physics" when you fly away from your target.
Only to notice i pulled the dummie.

In a goldfish with harpoon, a crewmember attached a harpoon to a pyras ass that was looking at us with his side.
So, knowing how it now works, i used moonshine and pulled him.

The harpoon no longer reels, but rather, it hooks.
What happened to that pyra? Pulled him right out of arcs 130 degrees away.

Can anyone confirm this also?
Ive found this in theory to be usefull in: Squids, Goldfish, pyra sides, junker front?

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
Re: The new harpoon
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 08:36:46 pm »
Nobody seems to have taken the challenge.
But ive done a bit.

I brought a squid with harpoon on the back. I instructed a gunner to harpoon an enemy spires behind, he did and i went fullspeed with moonshine+Stamina. I pulled this guy really hard, we had time to add another pull as the enemy spire was turning. And we pulled him from facing us AGAIN but this time onto a canyon AND i added tar cloud. We pulled him into the tar cloud.
We did this continuesly for the rest of the match while our ally got the kills.

It is still more of a utility gun than as a main gun slot.

Anyway, tried again with it on a junkers front while the sides is gatmort, and carroflame. A dual carro pyramideon was harrasing us, but just as i dodged his ram, we harpooned his ass and i pulled moonshine, resulting in his ass being presented to us. We turned for side guns. And i this case, this was more of a utility use.

Im going to continue my expedition in finding ways to use the harpoon. My next attempt will be the sides of the pyramideon. If it latches onto someone who is not in arc, i can just reverse and that should provide arc, and turn their arcs away.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:39:25 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:40:57 pm »
If it means getting rid of that bloody harpoon achievement that blocks the way of me getting other achieves then msg me if you want help

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2015, 09:40:20 pm »
What the flying flipping floppy fuck muse!
Right click does reel now! ARGH!

Ok! So this is the mechanic. When you hook onto a ship. The distance that you have shot him in is the length of the rope.
What holding right click does is shorten that distance. Essentially reeling them. Its not much strong, but it helps when a side gun that is a harpoon is latched. Because trying to pull him by going forward or back (from the side) wont help until the rope length is at its limit. Holding right click while on the latched harpoon makes that limit shorter (Again, reeling them).

Here is potential builds with the new harpoon.

Goldfish minotaur(greased)+Right harpoon(lesmok) and maybe left artemis(burst). (Moonshine + sort of close range)
Add lesmok to that harpoon. Try to work spinning an enemy ship around enough to work with the harpoon. Once youve spun him, latch to his ass and pull a little.
When it latches off keep him from turning with your minotaur. Repeat with the harpoon. Add in artemis. The harpoon engineer does not need to reel, he can jump onto side engines.
I would say this could potentialy lock a ship down without proper disabling forever. But i havent really tried it. Sounds fun though. But know that im not using the harpoon as a utility here then.

Junker(Kyrosin+close) one side dual harpoon (Or just one).
When you strafe by an enemy on the harpoon side, you have 2 shots for your crew to hit the enemies ass.
When 1 harpoon does, make them reel in + kyrosine backwards. What kyrosine will do is lett your junker turn for the weaponized side while pulling the enemy out of arc.
This is more of a utility use of it.

You can do the same on the side guns of a pyramideon, but with moonshine instead. The ships center will be pulling your arc away if you arent using moonshine.

If it means getting rid of that bloody harpoon achievement that blocks the way of me getting other achieves then msg me if you want help
I did get a harpoon kill with the squid one cus i pulled a spire into terrain. But that felt lucky. Il add you and contact you when im up for it and your online.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 10:26:38 pm »
POTENTIAL AWESOME USE!

Swing meneuver(Formely known as the supplex)
On the far left or right side of the mobula, have 1 harpoon for close range. Have chutevent and stamina.
When an enemy aproaches you. Have your engineer on whatever side harpoon the enemy.
Start flying BACKWARDS, CHUTEVENT down and turn the OPPOSITE direction of where your harpoon is (So if my harpoon is on the left side, i turn right)

Fly backwards, chutevunt+Holddown, turn opposite of harpoon.  When you reach limited rope pulling you up, hold up and youl be appearing facing the enemy hopefully behind him.
You dont need buffed baloon, but could probably help alot.

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 02:27:58 am »
I thought the new harpoon was a bug.

Offline MagKel

• Salutes: 53
    • [TB]
    • View Profile
    • The Brotherhood of GOIO
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 02:39:41 am »
i remember i wrote something about it, cool. Now I can finally field my skywhaler squid without dying of impact damage  ::)

Offline Extirminator

• Salutes: 56
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:23:17 am »
I thought the new harpoon was a bug.

Yeah I am pretty sure they said it was a bug.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
  • Salutes: 146
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 10:30:30 am »
 :o I really want to use the harpoon now... I have not used on in weeks  :-[

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:33:47 am »
I dont know how the harpoon is bugged when i feel like im controlling it properly.

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 10:44:08 am »
Even if it was bugged, I feel that it is a brilliant idea to enable crew to literally pull in ships at their command rather than automatically. I feel it adds to the roleplay:

"Reel them in Boys 'n' Girls! These merchants are just what we need to pay of the cost of all the moonshine we are using in this Pyramidion!"

Offline The Mann

• CA Mod
    • [Cake]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:46:14 am »
I dont know how the harpoon is bugged when i feel like im controlling it properly.
Even if it was bugged, I feel that it is a brilliant idea to enable crew to literally pull in ships at their command rather than automatically. I feel it adds to the roleplay:

"Reel them in Boys 'n' Girls! These merchants are just what we need to pay of the cost of all the moonshine we are using in this Pyramidion!"

Offline Dementio

• Salutes: 135
    • [Rydr]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 11:19:55 am »
The times where I use the harpoon is when I pretty much have to exploit its automatic reeling in.

Regardless, the 5 second duration is far too slow and reload time is far too much for that little bit of reeling in.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 11:24:35 am »
You dont reel in, you pull with your own ship now. The "reeling" is simply to minimize the rope length of which you can pull the enemy ship at.
Like i mentioned how we had time to pull twice on a spire.

However, i do still say its more for the utility case like a flare.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 12:06:07 pm »
Zoom was replaced with reel. It was broken when it came out, but seems to have been fixed after I reported the 'missing' zoom, but no added function.

The rope time seems too short now, though.