Author Topic: Visual feedback for ignition  (Read 5605 times)

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
Visual feedback for ignition
« on: April 29, 2015, 05:17:35 pm »
When attacking a ship with a flamethrower success or failure is determined by if the other ship managed to get their chemical spray up in time. An observant gunner can see what components have the white goop on them and target other components until the chem spray wears off. However for ships like the spire, mobula and squid which have some vital components hidden behind ship geometry gunners don't get much visual feedback on if their flame attack was blocked by chem spray.

I suggest there be an additional component to the hit marker to inform the gunner if the hit managed to ignite a fire stack. That way our pyromaniac population (you know who you are) can scan the enemy ship for unchemed components and put the flame where it is most effective. It would also help new players understand what weapons do additional fire damage.

It would also be nice to see smoke or flame rising off the hull or balloon to indicate it is taking flame damage, but I understand that would be a significant amount of work.

Offline Koali

• Salutes: 56
    • [Sass]
    • View Profile
Re: Visual feedback for ignition
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 05:28:32 pm »
Having a whole ship covered in flames could work...

Except for the lag.

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:29:30 pm »
could just colour code hit sparks.

Yellow is fire dmg.

Red for direct hull. Black for explosive direct hull.

iunno... whatever. There are ways to make this game the equivalent of a toddlers tv show where "learning is fun"

But frankly its dumb to go that direction despite the pushing of many people for it to become as such.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 10:54:40 pm »
I would not worry too much about hitting hidden components anymore.

Offline HamsterIV

• Salutes: 328
    • View Profile
    • Monkey Dev
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:32:05 pm »
The Mobula's balloon and hull components are still hidden even though their hotboxes are still reachable with the new fire mechanic.