Author Topic: Land-Based Vehicles  (Read 39859 times)

Offline PixelatedVolume

• Salutes: 2
    • [PIEπ]
    • View Profile
Re: Land-Based Vehicles
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2015, 03:59:46 pm »
soooo a really big gun?

Which is a bullet hose.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2015, 04:09:50 pm »
You didnt read! Maybe you did not understand.

Real steampunk is about using Victorian era steam power to do modern things in extraordinary ways, using a certain aesthetic.

And that is what the game does.

Here lemme explain why goio is more steampunk again:
It is not about looks, it is about how the world or the accessibility of this certain theme (Mechanical theme) makes the world out to be. And diesel punk does not fit the major values in it.
How the lore is built (Which is similar looking and sounding to victorian or napoleonic wars) shapes how the ships, tools and behaviours work (Cus this is what the people in goio knows). Lets not mention it is post-apocolyptic, meaning alot of their tech are retooled. Which further enhances why its steampunk. And hears why.

The engines that you talked about were prooving this to be dieselpunk, that doesnt proove it so. Il counterproof that with how each individual engine are powered on their own with perhaps fuel (clearly), but it shows that each part are exposed and seperate and easily configurable by someones hands. Meaning a ship is made in such a way that you can retool it to be anything. That is why everything is exposed. And why you see exposed gears floating about. This is the biggest major thing about guns of icarus that prooves it to be steampunk with the added aesthetic. Dieselpunk would keep things more steadfast and solid. Where a pilot would have to mount what moves the ship alot like a heavy gun in goio with shells and windows everywhere for protection. But instead we have a typical ship helm that does the same job.

What im trying to compare here is Inventive (Steampunk) versus Effeciency (Dieselpunk). Dieselpunk takes alot of notes from World war 2 with how they built things, wheres steampunk takes alot of notes from victorian, steam power era. Goio takes most of their idea from Steampunk, and their world (the tech) is clearly steampunky.

You are right about things can be faux or, looking like a certain genre, but how guns of icarus looking like steampunk also makes it play like a steampunk world. You can repair, retool, reconfigure easily. If you would add heavy ass electricity or some other hard things like fuel that powers everything. Its not as easy to reconfigure and would rather be dieselpunk.

small Steampunk influence.

I really dont see that

Edit: Lemme give you an addition.

Heres a few things to convince you.
The spire is actualy half a stationary ship. Meaning the spire is simply extracted out of a watch tower mega spire that has guns every side but no real use in travel. So they pulled it appart just to bring half its strength into a mobile state for war uses.

The mobula was made as a ship for victorian snobs to be able to get sunlight or view at the skies as they were flying, just retooled for fighting. That is why the ship looks barren because most of itself is used as a terrace, or balcony where you can have tea and biscuits on a table talking about how you are afraid of heights.

Go into practice and climb down the ladder of the spire, youl see steam leeking out from pipes, the very pipes that form as the ships hull.
Look at the hull, what is it? Its a bunch of valves and counters counting pressure, not fuel. These are steampowered vessels. How does steam power it through all those pipes? I dont know, its sci fi.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:29:11 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2015, 04:11:20 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA

You are just making up your own definitions now.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:19:26 pm by Richard LeMoon »

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2015, 04:32:39 pm »
Nop, go back and read it again. Added an addition.

Also i think that tank is an ancient relic from the past? Because i dont remember paritians lore.

Whispers abound that the ruins of the ancient city shadowing humble Paritus conceal untold secrets,lost technologies, and riches free for the taking by any crew bold and enterprising enough to uncover them. The hard truth is that most who come to wander and search among the twisted streets of the Labyrinth find no treasure and little profit for their efforts, save whatever glory can be earned in the frantic and grisly battles that break out whenever opposing seekers meet and clash to determine which has the worthier claim to conduct their plunder. To date nothing of significant value has ever been recovered from the Labyrinth, but it doesn't stop anyone trying.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 04:58:41 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »
Still wrong. Steam pipes? Sure. Steam power? No. The steam does nothing, just like all the gears-to-nowhere. It is like running a steam pipe around your PC with a few spinning gears, leaking out a bit of steam, and calling it steampunk.

Besides, those are obviously cooling lines, not power lines. There are no boilers on any of the ships.

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2015, 05:20:20 pm »
But then theres very little dieselpunk in there also. How is guns of icarus dieselpunk? Ive explained why its steampunk, why is it dieselpunk?

Again, i think you are dismissing alot of things in goio that makes it more steampunky than dieselpunky which i see very little of.

Maybe open a new thread.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2015, 05:29:06 pm »
Diesel power instead of steam power. Post World War instead of pre-World War. Focus on guns and war instead of adventure. Survival over aesthetics in design for the most part. Though that sort of eliminates both, as Steampunk is often about beauty in mechanics, and Dieselpunk is about beauty in design. These ships are stripped to the bare minimum to put them in the air. They are't pretty, but they work.

And frankly, the design is not very Victorian at all.

All in all, Guns is a mutt. A mixed breed of different designs and aesthetics. Call it Airpunk. :P

Offline Crafeksterty

• [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:00 pm »
Airpunk, i like that.

Still though, its impossible to see goio as dieselpunk. When the game is so insentive and sounding of steampunk. Not to mention the looks and feel of it.
Its like saying shadowrun is fantasy because of trolls and elves, but no mention of the overgrown evidence in technology and culture which makes it mostly cyberpunk.

When people see goio, they will go "Oh yeah thats steampunk".
They are borrowing dieselpunk stuff (Which i think is cool and fitting because...) to get away with unbelievable elements
Those airplanes on coop wouldnt be there if it wasnt for dieselpunk influence. (Even though they are weak as shit)

As much as i like Airpunk its just very weak in terms of defining goio.

Punk defenitions are hard to boil down too, i wouldnt blame Muse if they have a hard time.
Oh and
-----

The reason why i jumped on "This isnt dieselpunk" because the images by Top shows something that just wouldnt fit goio in anyway. And then saying goio is dieselpunk.
I can see the walkers being implemented but in the style of goio, in which it would be more exposed with less protection. Just not in anyway the same as those images.
Ide love to see something as crazy as the bosses of metal slug, but that would also be unfitting.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 06:04:40 pm by Crafeksterty »

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2015, 06:35:19 pm »
Actually the airplanes were from the original goio, which is Definately Dieselpunk, so, no.

Also, the Devs themselves said GoIO was Dieselpunk, and many others would agree.

In fact, building off my firsy point, the Icarus was dieselpunk with small Steampunk influence. Just like we're saying.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 06:58:16 pm »
Its plausible that it utilizes both technologies. Dieselpunk is more complicated and expensive when compared to Steampunk. The engines for example are obviously dieselpunk, but their complexity and the cost of fuel could make it that other equipment is steampunk. However i do have to agree that it is more diesel by the sheer fact that their is electricity in the game. Just fly around on Raid on the Refinery, you'll see plenty of electric lights

Offline PixelatedVolume

• Salutes: 2
    • [PIEπ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 07:12:29 pm »
ANNND. . . back on topic, if I may:

YESYESYES walkers please!  The drawings you gave would need some tooling around to really fit with the style of our airships (skeletal, external mechanisms, &c.) but I think land frigates could be a cool addition to coop.  I'm picturing something that just fills the sky with flak and is a huge nusience.

Though. . . how long have effective combat airships around?  I recall the Icarus was one of the first, how long ago was that?  It would make sense that with airships, land frigates have become less effective.  Maybe the groups that insist on keeping them have had to jury-rig the guns to elevate higher or just put flaks and machine guns everywhere to protect against Zeppelin bombs.

That and AA trains is what I want to see in coop.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 07:21:17 pm »
I think it would have to be an entirely new game.

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »
I'd play it

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile