Author Topic: Land-Based Vehicles  (Read 40582 times)

Offline Carn

• Salutes: 63
    • [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
Re: Land-Based Vehicles
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 09:31:43 pm »
Ok 1) I have 0 clue what a dakka is and 2) the middle one appears to have both bigger guns and more guns

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 09:34:49 pm »

Get out.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 09:44:31 pm »
right cause telling a guy to screw off for just trying to get a few answers is a great idea

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 10:34:02 pm »
Hmm... If we were to explain Dakka...

We'd have to explain the entire culture of Warhammer 40K Orks... That's a whole buncha stuff.

But in summary:

You need moh' bigga Dakka.

Offline Carn

• [DAGZ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 10:36:14 pm »
soooo a really big gun?

Offline Indreams

• Salutes: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 10:38:17 pm »
Talking about land-based vehicles in GOIO...

I want to see:

A ridiculous towers with turrets that's run by steampunk magic/demon.

And although not a vehicle:

An Ohmu.

Not exactly copies of these things, but something similar. I'd love to duke it out against a land-siege worm.

Offline Lanliss

• Salutes: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:07 pm »
Ok 1) I have 0 clue what a dakka is and 2) the middle one appears to have both bigger guns and more guns

Not a hundred percent positive, but I am pretty sure it is based on the sound a heavy machine gun makes.

Offline ShadedExalt

• Salutes: 76
    • [♫]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 09:27:29 am »

Not a hundred percent positive, but I am pretty sure it is based on the sound a heavy machine gun makes.

Dakka is the Ork onomatopoeia for a machinegun firing, yes, but basically, Dakka is the 'artform' of throwing AS MANY BULLETS AS POSSIBLE, AS FAST AS POSSIBLE at your foes.  If the bullets are Squiggin' 'uge, it helps. 

right cause telling a guy to screw off for just trying to get a few answers is a great idea

You're a gunner and you don't know of Dakka.

That's friggen' HERESY!

Offline Arturo Sanchez

• Salutes: 119
    • [AI]
    • View Profile
    • My spaghetti channel
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 09:56:04 am »
I thinks the Guns universe is like old imperial china.

Because it discovered ceramics early on. It did not learn of other technologies, that on other nation's histories lead towards the discover of ceramics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0OhXxx7cQg

So basically land based vehicles stopped at the horse and carriage. As everything took off into the sky.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
  • Salutes: 284
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2015, 10:00:48 am »
GOIO term:

"Needs more dakka."

Real world equivalent:

"Sir, methinks you need to add more rapid firing Gatlings to this ship so that we may pepper everything they love and hold dear full of holes until they look like a delectable slice of gourmet Swiss cheese. Tally-ho."

Also, there are tanks in GOIO. You can find their remains in several maps.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 01:58:41 pm »
Dakka is the sound a heavy gun makes. Like a really heavy gun.

Heavies (tf2) minigun makes a rattata noise, while the second selection heavy gun Natascha makes a dakkadakkadakka noise. Its about the heavieness of the rapid rate of fire.

Partially back on topic:
Goio is not Dieselpunk, it has elements of it but its mostly steampunk.
Look at the fashion and lore of the game fitting more to a victorian ish vision. While the rest is pretty self explanatory. Airships with baloons, spanners and mallets instead of welders, a typical ship helm to steer with, spyglasses... etc. Dont forget the gears.

If you dont care about this, you are going on with a mistake. What you must know that like many punk genres arent unoriginal and just stick to what the genre is. Goio borrows elements of Dieselpunk and other styles to fit more believable content within their own world. Dishonoured has this fantasy element within a Teslapunk world. MonsterHunter is Stone punk yett it uses fantasy medieval ideas to enhance their world. It makes the game more original and rich. But the obvious notion of the genre stays the same.

Back on Topic
They allready included a land machine that spawns ships (coop). It looks like a standing drill and i dont know why but im saying this to indicate they do have land machines. I just dont know to what extent.

I dont know if they ever can implement land walking whatevers with the game they have built, but i can belive they can make an illusion of one. Like the giant one you showed can be a still one never mooving, but we have to destroy various parts on it to destroy it completely. etc.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2015, 02:12:26 pm »
You are wrong there. It is very much Dieselpunk with a Steampunk veneer. Look at the workings of the world, not the look of it. Steampunk is all about using steam to do more modern things. Powering things with steam that should not be. Nothing actually uses steam in Guns. Therefor, by the very definition, it is not Steampunk. It uses fuel engines and WWI-II era tech and weapons, as well as having electricity. That makes it Dieselpunk. Gears are not even Steampunk. They are Clockwerks. So, you are carrying on with the mistake.

So, really, Guns could be classified as Victorian Dieselpunk. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Offline Crafeksterty

• Salutes: 73
    • [GwTh]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2015, 02:30:02 pm »
Is that really it? Just because of somethings = dieselpunk? There are also alot of mechanical explenations to these guns in a steampunky nature.
Seriously, theres more steampunk than dieselpunk in visual explenations. The major steampunk elements are quite major.

Like you mentioned where guns have dieselpunk elements, yes thats true. But that is to make some weapons believably possible and not rediculously stupid.
Mercury to me being the most advanced looking steampunk along with gattling, while the carronade or hwacha or any heavygun to dieselpunk.

Dont dismiss the air-ships with baloons. Not to mention how they are set up. Its extremely obviously mechanical. The engines are fueled with diesel or whatever, but they arent jet and also they are exposed rather than insade of a shell for crew to easily fix and mantle with it. Which is my primary reason for it being steampunk. Not gears, gears are there to show how something works, and they arent incased but rather exposed because in a world of steampunk, everyone knows how to make anything with the use of mechanical engineering. How the ships are made, look and how they work with how the crew works with the ship is more steampunky than dieselpunk. Dieselpunk is alot more solid and steadfast with their technology, closer to an enhanced world war 2 set of tech and its time period.

Offline Richard LeMoon

• Muse Games
    • [Muse]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 03:27:46 pm »
So, just because of somethings looks = Steampunk? Me thinks you don't understand the terms, sir. The 'punk' you are talking about is all about the underlying mechanics, not the visual. Otherwise you have a faux 'punk'. GOIO is faux Steampunk, like people gluing gears on things in non-functional ways (meaning, there could be no real use for them) for their con costumes.

Real steampunk is about using Victorian era steam power to do modern things in extraordinary ways, using a certain aesthetic.

Offline David Dire

• Salutes: 62
    • [SkBo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 03:41:21 pm »
Sorry Crafe, but Richard's right here.

GoIO is Dieselpunk with a small Steampunk influence.

even the devs themselves said that somewhere.